Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi / 4 Runner
Rain sensor windshield

I need to replace the windshield on my 09 x5. My dealer wants a little over $1000. They say the rain sensor, molding, needs to be replaced as will as the glass.

A local glass shop wants $450. They replace the glass plus the sensor pad.

Is BMW going over board? Do the codes need resetting?

Thks in advance
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
$1,000 seems perfectly reasonable for OEM glass plus labor.

That local shop is probably using 3rd party knock off glass, so it might not work 100%
Old 11-22-2012, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Most likely the cheaper glass will be better too. So whether that BMW logo is worth $500 is your call.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Most likely the cheaper glass will be better too. So whether that BMW logo is worth $500 is your call.
How so? It might not fit right and be of poor quality.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
How so? It might not fit right and be of poor quality.
Or it might fit perfectly and be of better quality, such as no distortions and more resistant to chips/cracks.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Or it might fit perfectly and be of better quality, such as no distortions and more resistant to chips/cracks.
Come on. What are the odds that a knock-off windshield is made up to the same standard (or better) than the OEM part WHILE costing half as much. Makes no sense at all.

The glass that the idiots at Safelite get are no where near as good as OEM, but are cheaper, which why insurance loves them.

Of course, the glass is only 50% of the equation. The installer has to be top notch. Can't have an idiot hack the old piece of glass out and install the OE BMW piece completely wrong.

Last edited by AutoUnion; 11-22-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2010 528;2013 X5
After owning a 2013 X5 premium for only a few months, a large crack appeared in the windshield on the passenger side, too large to "patch". Don't recall having a rock hit it. Anyway, called Geico and they use Safelite. I asked for OEM glass and Geico okayed it, Safelite came the next day to my office and replaced it for my $50 deductible. The installer looked at his invoice after the install, went "whew - this was one expensive windshield". The invoice was for close to $900 for the windshield. Don't know if Geico would let me do this a second time.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:32 PM

I've had Safelite replace glass on a Lexus twice and a Yukon - all with rain sensors - glass was made in Mexico but I could not tell the difference from the OEM glass.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF12400 View Post
After owning a 2013 X5 premium for only a few months, a large crack appeared in the windshield on the passenger side, too large to "patch". Don't recall having a rock hit it. Anyway, called Geico and they use Safelite. I asked for OEM glass and Geico okayed it, Safelite came the next day to my office and replaced it for my $50 deductible. The installer looked at his invoice after the install, went "whew - this was one expensive windshield". The invoice was for close to $900 for the windshield. Don't know if Geico would let me do this a second time.
Glad to hear that Geico let you use OEM glass. I have them too, but have never needed to replace glass before.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
Hello Thomv. One very inportant question...Who is going to pay for your new windshield? If you have glass coverage, I think it would be prudent to put some effort in to get "factory" glass- - the same glass that new x5's come with. When I had my windshield replaced, this was inportant to me. Keep in mind, the terms "OE" and "OEM" mean different things to different people, and glass adjusters can take advantage of this to reduce their claim costs. Can I guarantee that factory glass is superior to other products?? NO - but if it was good enough to be placed in my truck to begin with, this will be my choice if and when I need to replace again. I have State Farm, and they let my claim go through for factory glass. The amount billed was $1325.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
You keep spreading this misinformation....

Check your facts. When AU called you out, then the story is "might".

If you can provide ANY hard facts that confirm aftermarket is 'better' we'd love to see it. THis nonsense about 'distortions' in OE glass seem to come only from you...

Look forward to some facts.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF12400 View Post
I've had Safelite replace glass on a Lexus twice and a Yukon - all with rain sensors - glass was made in Mexico but I could not tell the difference from the OEM glass.
Safelite is the cheapest aftermarket glass vendor in the US.

Most owners cannot tell one from the other- once they've hacked out the old glass and glued on the new one, taping all the moldings in place, the important points are burried. (Assuming the glass is set at the correct depth witnin the frame, with uniform reveal, etc, etc(

THere is a proper way to remove, prep, and reinstall a glass- safelite DOES NOT follow the mfg specified methods. To me this is a non-starter.

Anyway, lots of people like the results. And insurers REALLY like the cost.

OP there was a recent thread here on this whole isse. Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...light=safelite

And there was also a member in that thread, spreading nonsense, then backing down and providing nothing to support his assertion.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
You keep spreading this misinformation....

Check your facts. When AU called you out, then the story is "might".

If you can provide ANY hard facts that confirm aftermarket is 'better' we'd love to see it. THis nonsense about 'distortions' in OE glass seem to come only from you...

Look forward to some facts.
My OEM glass has distortions. Happy?

But why not, lecture us again on OE/OEM, seems to be your obsession.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:02 AM

The only vehicles I ever owned that required trip to a glass installer were M-Bs - M-B claimed there was a special "kit" to install the glass and the dealer actually said I should go to a glass installer because "that's who we use anyway". Now this was years ago. I may be wrong but it seems that in my area most dealer service departments turf the glass install out to a contractor. We have had 2 glass replacements on an RX330 we had - one was Safelite, one was at the dealer (they broke the windshield somehow) - one was OE, one was OEM - could not tell the difference. Sold vehicle at 120000 miles - no leaks or distorion. RX350 - on second windshield replaced 30,000 miles ago by safelite - daughter has vehicle - no problems (yet). I requested and got the OEM windshield on my X5 because it literally cracked a few months after purchase and I was p-o'd. I still don't know why a one-foot long crack developed seemingly spontaneously in the windshield.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi / 4 Runner
This has an interesting on-going story.

Bought my 09 X5 35d from a dealer (8 hr drive from me). Advertised with rain sensor wipers. After the first rain and not getting the wipers to work properly, I took the X5 to my dealer (2.5 hrs from me). They said the windshield was not BMW and would not do anymore diagnostics without a replacement. The dealer I bought the X5 from gave me a 90 day warranty on top of the remaining BMW warranty.

The dealer where I bought the X5 is not being overly co-operative. I am just putting together info so I can speak from a relatively informed position. This forum is the best.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomv View Post
This has an interesting on-going story.

Bought my 09 X5 35d from a dealer (8 hr drive from me). Advertised with rain sensor wipers. After the first rain and not getting the wipers to work properly, I took the X5 to my dealer (2.5 hrs from me). They said the windshield was not BMW and would not do anymore diagnostics without a replacement. The dealer I bought the X5 from gave me a 90 day warranty on top of the remaining BMW warranty.

The dealer where I bought the X5 is not being overly co-operative. I am just putting together info so I can speak from a relatively informed position. This forum is the best.
Yup, same issue can happen with the HUD. If you don't use OEM glass, it will not function properly or function at all.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:55 PM

Interesting re: "only OEM glass will work with rain-sensor". Geico always asks if there's a rain sensor although I think theycross-check via VIN. Would not make sense for Geico to pay for a useless piece of glass since the glass-installers usually give a lifetime guarantee on defects. Installers can readily see that there's a rain-sensor - it's hanging behind what looks like a darkened-dotted area on the windshield. All our other vehicles over the years that had rain-sensors and windshield replacements with non-OEM had no problems.