Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery > The Travel Forum

The Travel Forum
Planning a trip or have a great travel story? Need travel tips or want to share your experiences (and photos)? Whether you are travelling for business or pleasure, the Bimmerfest Travel Forum is your best resource on the Web.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
How to Sleep During a Flight

I hope this gives you some ideas on what you can do to get at least a few hours of sleep on flights...

How to Sleep During a Flight: The Secrets of In-Flight Slumber

by Jonathan Spira
Quote:
Sleeping during flights is a challenge for many people. Indeed, until recently, I’ve only managed to achieve sleep on flights that met several qualifications, including being at my regular bedtime and having a comfortable lie-flat seat/bed.

While lie-flat beds and mattress toppers help, the odds are still against you when it comes to getting a restful night’s sleep during a flight. Low humidity, cabin pressure, noise, ambient light, smells, and of …
Read the full story »

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2012, 11:48 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Along with your good suggestions, we've found Tylenol PM helps. It is mild compared to sleeping pills and doesn't last as long, maybe 4 to 6 hours. It is not available in the UK, so we stock up when we are in the US.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 11-14-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
I have taught myself to sleep on planes...because I have to.

Here's my routine:

* Comfortable Clothes (For me, it's a pair of athletic shorts and a t-shirt. I really don't care how I look to others. Shorts are a must since cabins tend to be warmer rather than cooler.)
* Dream Water (Two shots. Take it about 20 minutes before you want to sleep.)
* Pillows/Blanket (If I'm flying a US carrier, I will bring my own pillow and blanket. I use the airline-supplied blanket as a pad on the seat. I'll also use their pillow. And then I'll use my larger blanket to cover me up. If I'm flying a respectable non-US carrier, I find their bedding is sufficient.
* Eye Mask (I resisted for the longest time because I felt they looked ridiculous, but they do help.)
* Don't Eat the Meal (If you absolutely must get sleep, I have found that not eating the meal is essential. I show up with a little something in my stomach, and that's plenty. Eating at altitude is rough on the body.)

I recently flew HNL-DFW on a red-eye, and I was amused by the looks of some of the older (arguably less-traveled) passengers in the cabin as I prepared my bed to sleep right after takeoff. As soon as we hit 10K feet, I was in bed mode and didn't wake up until I heard the pilot's command to prepare for landing.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 11-20-2012, 07:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 535i
I have never had any problem sleeping on a flight unless there is a screaming child nearby or one who constantly kicks the back of my seat. I'm usually asleep as soon as the seat-backs can be reclined. It probably has to do with my many years of working on ships and being used to background noise and vibrations.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
For me it all depends on what is happening when I arrive. If I need to be functional for a full day before my next sleep cycle, then I try and sleep. Otherwise I jsut occupy myself, read, movies, etc....napping here and there. If I will land and head to a hotel for a full night sleep I purposefully try and stay up. (Essentially looking to become synced to the destination...although trying to jump onto EU time or Tokyo time while still in california SOUNDS nice, it is impossible for me)

I rarely take sleeping pills in the air- occasionally headed to Germany or sydney in F when I needed to work on arrival, and could lie flat and sleep.... otherwise nothing. BUT, they are a MUST for me once I arrive: for 3 days, I take them at bedtime and get 8 hours of un-interrupted sleep. You may still be jet lagged, but at least you arent TIRED! (There is a difference, IMO) People I travel with who go drug-free pay the price by the second/thrid day...

I think this, at least for me, is the biggest factor in getting sync'd.

Any time change under 3,4 horus isnt a big deal, but europe, australia, asia are PITAs from California.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMarkA View Post
I have taught myself to sleep on planes...because I have to.

Here's my routine:

* Comfortable Clothes (For me, it's a pair of athletic shorts and a t-shirt. I really don't care how I look to others. Shorts are a must since cabins tend to be warmer rather than cooler.)
* Dream Water (Two shots. Take it about 20 minutes before you want to sleep.)
* Pillows/Blanket (If I'm flying a US carrier, I will bring my own pillow and blanket. I use the airline-supplied blanket as a pad on the seat. I'll also use their pillow. And then I'll use my larger blanket to cover me up. If I'm flying a respectable non-US carrier, I find their bedding is sufficient.
* Eye Mask (I resisted for the longest time because I felt they looked ridiculous, but they do help.)
* Don't Eat the Meal (If you absolutely must get sleep, I have found that not eating the meal is essential. I show up with a little something in my stomach, and that's plenty. Eating at altitude is rough on the body.)

I recently flew HNL-DFW on a red-eye, and I was amused by the looks of some of the older (arguably less-traveled) passengers in the cabin as I prepared my bed to sleep right after takeoff. As soon as we hit 10K feet, I was in bed mode and didn't wake up until I heard the pilot's command to prepare for landing.
Good call.

Would only add to avoid alcohol, use ear plugs, and to try and support your head somehow if you end up in cattle.

- J.C. Watts Jr.