Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-19-2012, 05:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11 550i
The spoiler looks childish.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 03-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Steel is where it's at!!!

Mein Auto: '12 550i x & '12 X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
Agree to disagree.

I think it looks great.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:29 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
A grown man with a pacifier hanging from his neck looks childish, but a spoiler?

As Mrs. Dunderhi has put it in the past, "if the car has a droopy butt, it needs a spoiler."

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 03-19-2012, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 M5
I find it peculiar that the spoiler is included with the M Sport package in Canada but not in the US. Anybody have a reason? Nothing beats factory installation.

I ask/say this because I have swirls all around the spoiler from installation that I need to polish out. Somewhat expected, but extra work.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545i
The F10 spoiler is subtle and tastefully done. If it were a rear wing, however, I would be really put off. Nevertheless, the spoiler is not for me.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 550xi M-Sport
I'm glad I found this thread. My car should arrive at the dealer in a couple weeks and I'm debating on having them install the carbon fiber spoiler. I stopped by the dealer today to get pricing and their parts guy told me they do list a carbon fiber spoiler for $662. I told him that I plan to have it painted to match the car and he got a little nervous. He said that they only list a carbon fiber spoiler and NOT a primered version for painting. He initially felt that the paint might not properly adhere to it, but admitted that he was not sure. He also shared that this would be the first one that he sold for the F10 550. My CA said it shouldn't be a problem and confirmed this with their local body shop. They are quoting $125-$175 to paint and install it.

For my own sanity, can those of you that have added the carbon fiber spoiler to your car and had it painted, please provide me with your feedback?
Any issues with having it painted?
Did your dealer or body shop have any concerns?
How has it held up? Any cracking or pealing?

Thanks!

Last edited by jjscott; 03-19-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Steel is where it's at!!!

Mein Auto: '12 550i x & '12 X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscott View Post
I'm glad I found this thread. My car should arrive at the dealer in a couple weeks and I'm debating on having them install the carbon fiber spoiler. I stopped by the dealer today to get pricing and their parts guy told me they do list a carbon fiber spoiler for $662. I told him that I plan to have it painted to match the car and he got a little nervous. He said that they only list a carbon fiber spoiler and NOT a primered version for painting. He initially felt that the paint might not properly adhere to it, but admitted that he was not sure. He also shared that this would be the first one that he sold for the F10 550. My CA said it shouldn't be a problem and confirmed this with their local body shop. They are quoting $125-$175 to paint and install it.

For my own sanity, can those of you that have added the carbon fiber spoiler to your car and had it painted, please provide me with your feedback?

Thanks!
It seems like a lot of money for what it is.
I don't know that I would have paid that much for it had it not been included in the m sport package here.
Have you looked at aftermarket options? There may be some that are identical.

2012 X5 35d - Platinum Grey (Hers)
Old 03-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Matty K.

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Jet Black
Quote:
...How has it held up? Any cracking or pealing?

Thanks!
Pealing? Nope, doesn't ring a bell.

Sorry, I just had to!

Oh and on-topic, I agree that the spoiler is subtle and refined. I have been considering carbon fiber for the spoiler, the badges and the rear diffuser, just as accents - I think they'd look great with Jet Black.

Last edited by mkossler; 03-19-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: 550xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkossler View Post

Sorry, I just had to!

Oh and on-topic, I agree that the spoiler is subtle and refined. I have been considering carbon fiber for the spoiler, the badges and the rear diffuser, just as accents - I think they'd look great with Jet Black.
LOL. You got me.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:04 PM
TTSam

Mein Auto: E92 M3 - 535 xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkossler View Post

Sorry, I just had to!

I agree the spoiler is refined and subtle. As someone else mentioned they come standard on Canadian M packs. It makes the rear look better and may even be functional (not sure).

All the true M cars have a similar subtle spoiler.

For the OP - better to go after market as BMW way over charges. The CF ones can look good depending on the car color - but I would go with a match to your paint.

I am thinking of adding a few carbon fiber parts to my carbon black 535. I got the CF mirror covers and front splitters for my AW M3 and they look great.
911 Retired
328xiT Retired
X3 Retired
Old 03-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Over 20 years owning BMWs

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
Quote:

Thanks!
If you are going to paint it, I would 1000x recommend getting an aftermarket spoiler. I paid $135 for mine, including painting AND shipping! The color match was spot on, and that was Carbon Black, which is not that easy to match. The fit and finish was also first class.

Here's the link to the vendor I bought it from:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Painted-BMW-...ht_6708wt_1186

BTW, it took about 5 days from the day I order it until I got it in the U.S.

Good luck!
2012 535i | Built 8/259/07 2011 | Delivered 10-15-2011 | Carbon Black | Oyster Black Dakota Leather | M-Sport Pkg | Luxury Seating Pkg | Premium Pkg | Premium Sound Pkg | Technology Pkg | Sport Auto Trans. | Split Fold-Down Seats | Heated Seats | Side & Top View Cameras | Heads-Up Display | BMW Apps | Black Panel Display | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Roof Spoiler | Quad Exhaust | AirBlue Tint | Turner Wheel Spacers | Euro Plates | Hardwire V1 w/BOB | Media Cradle | Debadged | Kitchen Sink Pkg...
Old 03-19-2012, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
I find it peculiar that the spoiler is included with the M Sport package in Canada but not in the US. Anybody have a reason? Nothing beats factory installation.

I ask/say this because I have swirls all around the spoiler from installation that I need to polish out. Somewhat expected, but extra work.
The Canadian cars are "packaged cars" meaning there are basic high content packages, with very few individual options. I gather it's the size of the market that doesn't justify lots of individual options, coupled with the fact that Most cars are ordered by dealers with a few high content packages, ensuring higher sales prices and more predictable residual values.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:32 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post

Thanks for the tip.

If I get a spoiler, I will have my detailer install it so the swirls are his problem!

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 03-19-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
Thanks for the tip.

If I get a spoiler, I will have my detailer install it so the swirls are his problem!
Unless you got an F in Kindergarten Arts & Crafts, there is no way to swirl anything by installing a spoiler. 2 thin strips of double sided 3M tape on the bottom, peel a little of each one so they stick from underneath the spoiler, set in place, and start peeling little by little while keeping in place. Should take you all but 2 minutes at the most.
2012 535i | Built 8/259/07 2011 | Delivered 10-15-2011 | Carbon Black | Oyster Black Dakota Leather | M-Sport Pkg | Luxury Seating Pkg | Premium Pkg | Premium Sound Pkg | Technology Pkg | Sport Auto Trans. | Split Fold-Down Seats | Heated Seats | Side & Top View Cameras | Heads-Up Display | BMW Apps | Black Panel Display | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Roof Spoiler | Quad Exhaust | AirBlue Tint | Turner Wheel Spacers | Euro Plates | Hardwire V1 w/BOB | Media Cradle | Debadged | Kitchen Sink Pkg...
Old 03-19-2012, 08:54 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
Unless you got an F in Kindergarten Arts & Crafts, there is no way to swirl anything by installing a spoiler. 2 thin strips of double sided 3M tape on the bottom, peel a little of each one so they stick from underneath the spoiler, set in place, and start peeling little by little while keeping in place. Should take you all but 2 minutes at the most.
Right but they also recommend you strip any waxes or sealants from the paint before applying the spoiler. The CQuartz can only be removed by polishing.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 03-19-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
Right but they also recommend you strip any waxes or sealants from the paint before applying the spoiler. The CQuartz can only be removed by polishing.
Believe me, once you apply the 3M automotive tape to a clean surface -waxed or not- you will have a HELL of a time trying to remove it. Ask me how I know...
Old 03-19-2012, 09:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M5
Adhesive is also used. It was listed as a consumable on my service report and in the installation instructions. I suspect the swirling was not a result of prep but rather cleaning up any residue immediately following installation.

Needsdecaf knows the story of my Volvo S60 and the spoiler installation on that car. They left dried, smeared glue all over my trunk. They also washed my car with sandpaper.

I was very clear to the SA that I was not expecting a repeat. Fortunately, all good.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
If you are going to paint it, I would 1000x recommend getting an aftermarket spoiler. I paid $135 for mine, including painting AND shipping! The color match was spot on, and that was Carbon Black, which is not that easy to match. The fit and finish was also first class.

Here's the link to the vendor I bought it from:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Painted-BMW-...ht_6708wt_1186

BTW, it took about 5 days from the day I order it until I got it in the U.S.

Good luck!
Thanks for posting this Alex. They are down to $69 shipped! And that's painted.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221147740069...84.m1439.l2649

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, Tint - 5% Rear, 35% Front & 50% Windshield - BlackVue DR500GW Dash Cam, Blendmount for Valentine One

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)
Old 11-24-2012, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post

OMG!!! This price is killing me

Gone But Not Forgotten:
2006 AUDI 2.0T A4 Avant, 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster, 2006 BMW M Roadster
Old 11-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Silverstone F80 M3

Mein Auto: Silverstone F80 M3
BAM!! Love my M5 lip spoiler

Old 11-24-2012, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
Quote:

At that price, why worry about choices? Just order one and see if you like it when it arrives. That's what I just did. If I don't like it, I'll either offer it to other forum members or throw it away.
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 11-24-2012, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
At that price, why worry about choices? Just order one and see if you like it when it arrives.
With Alex already using this vendor and being happy with the spoiler and the current price, I agree, it was an easy decision. If I don't like the look I am only out $69.

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, Tint - 5% Rear, 35% Front & 50% Windshield - BlackVue DR500GW Dash Cam, Blendmount for Valentine One

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)

Last edited by Chuck W.; 11-24-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5, 2013 550 xi
Does it effect opening and closing of trunk. Sometimes aftermarket spoilers have weight issues that may impair the opening or closing?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:22 AM

Mein Auto: 550i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittX52011 View Post
Does it effect opening and closing of trunk. Sometimes aftermarket spoilers have weight issues that may impair the opening or closing?
It's super light and very subtle. Zero issues with trunk.

The fit and finish were great for me and I like how it breaks up the rear of the car. Not a fan of big spoilers or aftermarket effects crap but think this was a must.

Probably the only aftermarket appearance type assesory I will add. Maybe reflectors cswapped for clear.

I got mine here:http://www.jbspeed.com/servlet/the-6...Painted/Detail

Fast shipping and an exact paint match- took 5 minutes to install with my 8 year old helping center.

Also- I am a collector car freak so very picky with paint and bodywork
Old 11-25-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
With Alex already using this vendor and being happy with the spoiler and the current price, I agree, it was an easy decision. If I don't like the look I am only out $69.
Thanks for the thumbs up Chuck!

I installed mine over one year ago. Took me a couple of minutes (I also had my then 13 y/o kid help me) and it is still looking fantastic. The color match was PERFECT. I paid twice as much when I got it and still thought it was a bargain. At $69 is a no brainer.

I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as I've had.