Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Cabrio
E93 detailing - Roof Tips and tricks?

Pretty soon I'll be claying and polishing my new-to-me E93 for the first time. I've searched (unsuccessfully) for answers to the following, sorry if I've missed something obvious.

How to handle the rubber seals between the roof panels and the painted plastic strips and channels underneath? Tape off the strips when using a DA polisher on the roof panels and avoided the rubber seals, or just polish right over them?

I'd think the former would be the "right" way to do it, but am curious to the experts thoughts.

Also, how about all the intricate curves on the nose; even 4" pads seems pretty big for those details.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2012, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: 99...540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpburdell View Post
Pretty soon I'll be claying and polishing my new-to-me E93 for the first time. I've searched (unsuccessfully) for answers to the following, sorry if I've missed something obvious.

How to handle the rubber seals between the roof panels and the painted plastic strips and channels underneath? Tape off the strips when using a DA polisher on the roof panels and avoided the rubber seals, or just polish right over them?

I'd think the former would be the "right" way to do it, but am curious to the experts thoughts.

Also, how about all the intricate curves on the nose; even 4" pads seems pretty big for those details.

Thanks.
For the rubber seals are easy enough to clean after you polish but if you want to tape them off that's not a bad thing either.
To clean and condition rubber I use Poorboys World Trim Restore, works like a charm at removing wax / polish and conditions the rubber very well.

For the curved areas you can always do those by hand, I do all the time

Its Going To Cost How Much???????
Old 11-24-2012, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Cabrio
Thanks, finally had time to do the roof yesterday and taped the seams as I was doing a three step process with Meguiars's 105/205 then BlackFire. Taping worked well, though for just a polish/wax I'll likely skip taping.