Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Classic Bimmers

Classic Bimmers
Discussions pertaining to vintage and classic BMW models here...

Old 10-04-2012, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: 1984 733i
733I that has been sitting a while.

Have a 1984 733i that was running fine when I parked it but unfortunately got pushed to the back of my project list. Now after a couple of years I have a new found interest in fixing it up but it will not start. Engine turns over fine but doesnt fire at all. What are some things I should look for and things i should do for a car that has been sitting for a while. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 10-06-2012, 11:33 PM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
Presuming it has a coil and the 'distributor' on the front of the cam: check for spark. If no spark: check crank position sensors in the bell housing for coil continuity. If they are ok pull off the wire from the ign key to starter and then get a friend to hold the key in the start position (engine will not be cranking). Get under the rear of the car and listen for the one (or poss two fuel) pumps to be running.
Flush the stale petrol (gas) out, replace fuel filter and put 5 gallons in. Then the fun starts....... All the rubber under the bonnet (sorry hood), new battery, check test battery cables, check test alternator, consider tyre replacement - oh the list goes on......................
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i
Old 11-25-2012, 04:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i Sport
bimmerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonfranklin View Post
Have a 1984 733i that was running fine when I parked it but unfortunately got pushed to the back of my project list. Now after a couple of years I have a new found interest in fixing it up but it will not start. Engine turns over fine but doesnt fire at all. What are some things I should look for and things i should do for a car that has been sitting for a while. Any suggestions are appreciated.
I have restored and driven 3 of these E23's over the years. One of them I had purchase wouldn't start the day I bought it. After spending hours trying everything, it turned out that someone had dis-connected the two crank sensor cables that run from the engine down to the transmission. We connected them, and it started right up. It ran, but it was very rough. Over the following weeks and after much testing and phone calling, I found that someone had also put the wrong Motronic unit in it. This is the computer that makes the car run. They had put a 733i computer in my 735i. Because I had my other 735, I swapped out the computers temporarily, and found the problem. I now have an extra Motronic unit for a 733, if anyone is interested.