BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E93 Another what wheels thread

6K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  MP3_E46 
#1 ·
Looking for opinions about 17" Kosei K4R wheels on an E93. These are brake dust grey (rarely need cleaning) and weigh 15.5lbs. It's for a winter 'beater'. Most of the year the MX-5 NC2 is a great daily driver (only 3.6 mile commute); it's not always fun in winter weather which is when the E93 sees outside.

Main motivations are to lose the run-flats, reduce risk of pothole damage, have tires last longer and cost ~$450 to replace not $1,300+

Secondary reasons are that the 18" wheels look ridiculous (IMO), reducing weight is always good for mpg and handling; lastly I am little afraid someone will steal the original 18" wheels.

In order the pictures are:

• Original 18" wheels
  • Wheels I plan on purchasing ($199 each)
  • Same wheels on my MX-5
  • Backup plan: wheels a lot of people are using (picture from another thread)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Given zero replies I get the impression no one really liked them

Trigger pulled, I'll post pics when mounted on the car. Am flushing the brake fluid at the same time so it won't be the day they are delivered. $1,684.29 including TPMS sensors, Kumho Ecsta 4X tires, shipping, 6% tax - ouch. Cheaper than wrecking due to summer tires though

#3 ·
Your original 18" Y spoke wheels are a BMW classic design & considered by myself unsurpassed. Sorry they don't suit you but anything else appears to be a significant setback.

Good luck, hope the lady in the car is supportive.

#4 · (Edited)
Your original 18" Y spoke wheels are a BMW classic design & considered by myself unsurpassed. Sorry they don't suit you but anything else appears to be a significant setback.

Good luck, hope the lady in the car is supportive.
Yeah I tried to find something like originals in 17" but failed. My wife is fine with the new ones (MX-5 is right next to in the garage)... we'll see once they are on the car. Worst case I sell used to someone who tracks their E9x. Most people I've asked (my age or older) say the 18" on now look too big

Actually it appears already to becoming the lady in the pictures car :) I've barely driven it. I am taking it this week as it's running rough - battery seems to be failing so I'll drive it until we get that sorted out. Would just pop a new one in myself but it seems complicated with these cars so am letting it totally fail and taking it in under warranty. The dealership swapped the battery module out two weeks ago but it's still acting up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.