Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 11-07-2012, 12:26 PM
d geek d geek is online now
diesel evangelist
Location: San Antonio, TX, USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,058
Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanar200 View Post
... it appears that M57 has 1600 bar CR system, N57 has 1800 or 2000 bar CR system
Like I said

Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
... The CR system for all BMW d's is the same, essentially.
Pressure increase is not a significant difference in the operation and if it was then you'd expect the engines to get louder and not quieter as they are in fact.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 11-07-2012, 12:30 PM
kanar200's Avatar
kanar200 kanar200 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 747
Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
OMG, if they change the CR, it means they are improving the whole system including the sound. Therefore, X5d and 335d are louder than cars with N57, etc.
__________________


WTB: spare tire kit
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 11-20-2012, 07:41 AM
Addicted2Torque Addicted2Torque is offline
Registered User
Location: DC
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 65
Mein Auto: Depends
Please BMW NA, bring the M550dx to the US! Continue the legacy of the high performance/high efficiency have your cake and eat it too started with the 335d!
__________________
335d 2011 BSM/black M-Sport/PP/Nav/HS/CA/HK (ED May 2010)
ordered by Joern @ Passport
Primary Torque Movers:
2011 Ford F350 400HP + 800 Ft Lbs
2009 Formula SS 2x375HP + plenty but unpublished
1999 Dodge Viper 460HP + 500 Ft Lbs
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 11-20-2012, 08:21 AM
P-TownM3 P-TownM3 is offline
Silverstone F80 M3
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 162
Mein Auto: Silverstone F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I didn't say anything about power. My point was about torque. Guess what makes acceleration? Not HP.

Sorry, I'm just a torque junkie. I've never lived in an area where I could wind out a car more than a gear or two. I love stomping on the throttle and gaining 20 MPH in the blink of an eye accompanied by that shove in the back.

^^^This^^^
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 11-20-2012, 08:38 AM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,140
Mein Auto: German
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/19/a...headed-for-us/



Quote:
Audi has thrilled the diesel fanatics among us this afternoon, by announcing its intentions to show a whopping five TDI diesel-empowered vehicles (four new) at the upcoming LA Auto Show. TDI versions of the Audi's A6, A7, A8 sedans and its Q5 crossover will be new additions to the automaker's US arsenal, while the Q7 TDI will continue as well. The news isn't completely unexpected, as we received confirmation previously that the A6, A8 and Q5 were all on the way with diesel, but the A7 receiving the engine is news, as is the reveal and on-sale timing. Our previous report indicated that the A4 would also be coming over with TDI motivation, but the Audi announcement makes no such promises.

All of the models in question will be making room for Audi's 3.0-liter V6 turbocharged diesel under their hoods. The powerplant makes some 240 horsepower and 406 pound-feet of torque, and is estimated to return 24 miles per gallon city and 36 mpg highway when installed in the A8. The Q7 is good for 19/28 city/highway mpg.

The A8 TDI will be the first of the new diesels to become available in the 2014 model year, with that executive sedan being offered for sale in the spring of 2013. The A7, A6, and Q5 TDIs will roll into dealerships in the fall of next year, and the Q7 TDI is, of course, on sale right now for a stating price of $52,000.
If the upcoming F10d lacks AWD, there will be an A7 TDI in my garage
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 11-20-2012, 08:44 AM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,140
Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezypoof View Post
Disagree. Just look at the VW lineup and the Diesels get you 20%, maybe 25%. I think you'd be hard pressed to find an example that delivers "much more" than 20% gain.
How so? A regular 2.5 I5 Golf struggles to get mid-to-high 20s mixed driving, whereas a Golf TDI with the 2.0TDI can be mid-to-high 30s mixed easily. ~10 mpg more mixed is over a 20% gain.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:16 AM
chuck92116's Avatar
chuck92116 chuck92116 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 867
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
How so? A regular 2.5 I5 Golf struggles to get mid-to-high 20s mixed driving, whereas a Golf TDI with the 2.0TDI can be mid-to-high 30s mixed easily. ~10 mpg more mixed is over a 20% gain.
+1 VW Jetta gas ~24MPG average

Diesel Jetta 40MPG

That's about 80% gain.
__________________
2011 535i
2013 VW Golf TDI
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 11-25-2012, 08:17 AM
miamiboyca's Avatar
miamiboyca miamiboyca is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,668
Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Audi just announced a bunch of models that are coming to the US as diesels, including the 4, 6, and Q5. No doubt BMW will follow suit.
__________________
2013 535i Space Grey, Biege, M-SPort, Premium, Tech, Cold Weather, Luxury Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012 - PCD Redelivery-12/14/12
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 AM
miamiboyca's Avatar
miamiboyca miamiboyca is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,668
Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
How so? A regular 2.5 I5 Golf struggles to get mid-to-high 20s mixed driving, whereas a Golf TDI with the 2.0TDI can be mid-to-high 30s mixed easily. ~10 mpg more mixed is over a 20% gain.
I agree - I thing you can expect a 40%+ increase in fuel economy for a comparable diesel engine.
__________________
2013 535i Space Grey, Biege, M-SPort, Premium, Tech, Cold Weather, Luxury Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012 - PCD Redelivery-12/14/12
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 11-25-2012, 12:17 PM
cheezypoof cheezypoof is offline
Registered User
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 69
Mein Auto: 2013 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
How so? A regular 2.5 I5 Golf struggles to get mid-to-high 20s mixed driving, whereas a Golf TDI with the 2.0TDI can be mid-to-high 30s mixed easily. ~10 mpg more mixed is over a 20% gain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92116 View Post
+1 VW Jetta gas ~24MPG average

Diesel Jetta 40MPG

That's about 80% gain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
I agree - I thing you can expect a 40%+ increase in fuel economy for a comparable diesel engine.
Go to fueleconomy.gov for combined mileage ratings of these cars. The Jetta and Golf are the same platform and both get combined ratings of 34mpg for the diesel, and 27 for the 2.0T gasoline. Who knows where you got 40mpg from, are you comparing highway to city; US gallons to UK gallons (again)? In this case diesel gets you a 26% bump in fuel economy, not bad. But here's where it starts to fall apart, where I live (I just filled up our TDI yesterday) diesel fuel is $0.60 more per gallon than 87 octane gasoline and $0.40 more than premium.

Obviously diesels are more efficient - there's no argument, but the $$ benefits aren't as great as they appear.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 11-25-2012, 12:40 PM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,140
Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezypoof View Post
Go to fueleconomy.gov for combined mileage ratings of these cars. The Jetta and Golf are the same platform and both get combined ratings of 34mpg for the diesel, and 27 for the 2.0T gasoline. Who knows where you got 40mpg from, are you comparing highway to city; US gallons to UK gallons (again)? In this case diesel gets you a 26% bump in fuel economy, not bad. But here's where it starts to fall apart, where I live (I just filled up our TDI yesterday) diesel fuel is $0.60 more per gallon than 87 octane gasoline and $0.40 more than premium.

Obviously diesels are more efficient - there's no argument, but the $$ benefits aren't as great as they appear.
Lots of issues in this post.

1. Why are you comparing to the higher end 2.0T GLI/GTI models? If you price them out, the TDI variants of both the Jetta and Golf come in cheaper than a GTI or GLI. Not to mention, you have to baby the 2.0T to get anywhere near those EPA ratings, whereas you can beat on the VW TDI and get 35 mixed easily. The TDI is meant as an alternative to the base 2.5I, not the higher end 2.0T GLI/GTI

2. Since when have EPA ratings ever been accurate for diesels? Both on my X5d and my old VW TDI, I always exceed the ratings. They mean nothing when talking about TDIs.

3. high 30s-40 mpg ratings comes from my personal experience with my old '10 Jetta Sportwagen TDI with DSG. If you are only getting 34mpg combined, you're doing something wrong.

4. Diesel prices are also different in every place. In the summer, it dips below 87 here, but in the winter, it is about the same or a little less than 91 octane. Comparing a 535d and 535i, you will come up ahead on the d very simply.

And everyone is forgetting the best part about the diesel. Resale value. Any markup on the diesel variant will be made up quite easily when selling. Used diesel Jettas, Golfs, MLs, GLs, X5s, etc are selling for a good amount more than their petrol equivalent.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 11-25-2012, 12:46 PM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,140
Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
I agree - I thing you can expect a 40%+ increase in fuel economy for a comparable diesel engine.
Yup, on a VW TDI, it can be done quite easily. On the X5, the increase is less, but still worthwhile. The 35i's resale pales in comparison to the rarer diesel.



That being said, let's look at the upcoming Audi A6 3.0TDI Quattro versus the A6 3.0T Quattro.

(http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/19/a...headed-for-us/)

3.0T EPA: 18/27 22 combined
3.0TDI: Audi says the heavier A8 3.0TDI Quattro will get 24/36 -> 30 combined. The lighter A6 will do better than that.

Just going by the ratings, the diesel does 8/30 -> 26.67% better. In the real world, A6 will do much better than that and low-mid 30s combined seems reasonable. Mid 30s combined and almost 40 mpg on the highway in a midsize luxury sports sedan? What else could you possibly want? The TDI effectively makes the the base 4 cylinder and 3.0T not needed. Only if you want higher performance, then they make the S6. If not, the TDI is perfect for everyone else.

I'm assuming that the upcoming 5 series diesel will be similar to the Audi.

Last edited by AutoUnion; 11-25-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 11-25-2012, 12:56 PM
d geek d geek is online now
diesel evangelist
Location: San Antonio, TX, USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,058
Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezypoof View Post
Go to fueleconomy.gov for combined mileage ratings of these cars. The Jetta and Golf are the same platform and both get combined ratings of 34mpg for the diesel, and 27 for the 2.0T gasoline. Who knows where you got 40mpg from, are you comparing highway to city; US gallons to UK gallons (again)? In this case diesel gets you a 26% bump in fuel economy, not bad. But here's where it starts to fall apart, where I live (I just filled up our TDI yesterday) diesel fuel is $0.60 more per gallon than 87 octane gasoline and $0.40 more than premium.

Obviously diesels are more efficient - there's no argument, but the $$ benefits aren't as great as they appear.
The 2.0T is about $1K more than the TDI and per fueleconomy.gov will cost a few hundred $$ more per year in fuel costs.

Fueleconomy.gov also shows actual users reported average mpg as almost 40mpg (sample size of 7).
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 11-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Needsdecaf's Avatar
Needsdecaf Needsdecaf is offline
Everything's Bigger in TX
Location: The Woodlands, TX
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,106
Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Buddy of mine had the old TDi Jetta (2006?, 2007) manual and had a 200 mile a day commute on highways and back roads. He averaged 51 and was not driving slow.
__________________
2011 535i
Sophisto Grau / Oyster - Black Nappa, Anthracite Wood Gone but not forgotten.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 11-25-2012, 01:32 PM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,140
Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Buddy of mine had the old TDi Jetta (2006?, 2007) manual and had a 200 mile a day commute on highways and back roads. He averaged 51 and was not driving slow.
Yup, that's the old 1.9 PD diesel engine. Made before all the emissions crap. The new common-rail diesel unit can do mid-to-high 40s pure highway/backroads easily. Common-rail tech allowed it to get much more power, but did loose some MPGs.


I can't wait from this next push of diesels into the MB/Audi/BMW lineups. Americans have finally realized what the Europeans have been talking about for decades.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 11-25-2012, 01:48 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,745
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
2. Since when have EPA ratings ever been accurate for diesels? Both on my X5d and my old VW TDI, I always exceed the ratings. They mean nothing when talking about TDIs.
I certainly believe the EPA ratings are pessimistic when it comes to diesel cars.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 11-25-2012, 03:28 PM
cheezypoof cheezypoof is offline
Registered User
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 69
Mein Auto: 2013 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Lots of issues in this post.

1. Why are you comparing to the higher end 2.0T GLI/GTI models? If you price them out, the TDI variants of both the Jetta and Golf come in cheaper than a GTI or GLI. Not to mention, you have to baby the 2.0T to get anywhere near those EPA ratings, whereas you can beat on the VW TDI and get 35 mixed easily. The TDI is meant as an alternative to the base 2.5I, not the higher end 2.0T GLI/GTI

2. Since when have EPA ratings ever been accurate for diesels? Both on my X5d and my old VW TDI, I always exceed the ratings. They mean nothing when talking about TDIs.

3. high 30s-40 mpg ratings comes from my personal experience with my old '10 Jetta Sportwagen TDI with DSG. If you are only getting 34mpg combined, you're doing something wrong.

4. Diesel prices are also different in every place. In the summer, it dips below 87 here, but in the winter, it is about the same or a little less than 91 octane. Comparing a 535d and 535i, you will come up ahead on the d very simply.

And everyone is forgetting the best part about the diesel. Resale value. Any markup on the diesel variant will be made up quite easily when selling. Used diesel Jettas, Golfs, MLs, GLs, X5s, etc are selling for a good amount more than their petrol equivalent.
No issues - pick the 2.5L gasoline on the Jetta and it gets 26 combined. Let's be generous and assume the TDI gets what people are reporting, a combined fuel economy of 40mpg. With nationwide average diesel prices $0.60 higher than regular gasoline it's still a 4yr payoff to cover the higher MSRP (equivalent TDI Jetta is about $2500 more than the gasoline). I'm assuming 15k miles per year. If you live somewhere where diesel is cheap then lucky you, but the average data is exactly what I see where I live - always $0.60 higher.

Good point about resale, so the curves might cross before 4yrs, but probably not by much. All I'm saying is that the cost of ownership argument is not as favorable as people make it out to be, especially if you're a 3yr lease type buyer. If you're going to keep the car for 10yrs then by all means diesel delivers.

Last edited by cheezypoof; 11-25-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 11-25-2012, 03:52 PM
miamiboyca's Avatar
miamiboyca miamiboyca is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,668
Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezypoof View Post
With nationwide average diesel prices $0.60 higher than regular gasoline it's still a 4yr payoff to cover the higher MSRP (equivalent TDI Jetta is about $2500 more than the gasoline). I'm assuming 15k miles per year. If you live somewhere where diesel is cheap then lucky you, but the average data is exactly what I see where I live - always $0.60 higher.
You are jumping to conclusions saying that "Nationwide". Here in TX, it's a $.20 difference, And that is only when you compare it to regular. Fair comparison is to do it against Premium, After all you are not putting 87 into your $60,000 sports sedan. Premium is right in line with diesel plus or minus a few cents.

When I left California diesel was always less than premium. Take into account that I'm speaking about two of the most populous state in the country and I think your nationwide statement is completely erroneous. Maybe it doesn't make sense in Michigan, maybe.
__________________
2013 535i Space Grey, Biege, M-SPort, Premium, Tech, Cold Weather, Luxury Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012 - PCD Redelivery-12/14/12

Last edited by miamiboyca; 11-25-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 11-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Emilner Emilner is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LI, NY
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,294
Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezypoof View Post
No issues - pick the 2.5L gasoline on the Jetta and it gets 26 combined. Let's be generous and assume the TDI gets what people are reporting, a combined fuel economy of 40mpg. With nationwide average diesel prices $0.60 higher than regular gasoline it's still a 4yr payoff to cover the higher MSRP (equivalent TDI Jetta is about $2500 more than the gasoline). I'm assuming 15k miles per year. If you live somewhere where diesel is cheap then lucky you, but the average data is exactly what I see where I live - always $0.60 higher.

Good point about resale, so the curves might cross before 4yrs, but probably not by much. All I'm saying is that the cost of ownership argument is not as favorable as people make it out to be, especially if you're a 3yr lease type buyer. If you're going to keep the car for 10yrs then by all means diesel delivers.
In NY diesel is less than premium right now- which is what you would put in a competing BMW engine. Leases are often lower for diesel vehicles because of the higher residual value.
__________________


2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 11-25-2012, 05:50 PM
DslDwg DslDwg is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 137
Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 35is
Can't wait to see more diesel options. As much as I love the N20 in my wifes X3 would have loved a diesel even better.

I looked very hard at a 335d and ultimately bought a 335i because the price was right and I was limited to dealer stock only on the "D"

Here's what I can say through my experience shopping and driving both models.

The 335d is a rocket - regardless of what the 0-60 times are listed as. Sure you're giving up 35hp but you're gaining 125ft-lb's of torque. Let's be honest how often do you take off from a standing start and race up to 60 vs. how often do you go from 65-80 to get around a slower driver. All about the torque's my friends.

The engine noise was not even noticeable as a diesel while sitting in the car. The days of loud diesels are gone. You could tell it was a diesel standing in front of the car while running but that would probably be a really awkward position to drive the car from.

Working through some real world numbers - dunderhi lists 37.5 mpg as an avg. I get around 27 hwy on a good day and that's certainly not an avg. using these numbers that's a 38% bonus and when compared the the real world 22 avg. I get that's more like 70% better.

Assuming 91/93 octane is $3.00/gal and diesel is $3.60 in Michigan - that's only a 20% more per gal.

As been stated the 335d had many rebates and tax breaks making it cost the same or less than a similarly kitted 335i.

Even with worse case 60 cent more expensive fuel the D was a hell of a bang for the buck.


Too bad it doesn't look like BMW will put the 3.0L I6 in the F30 as I'd be all over that.

The diesel is a great option for all but the most jaded speed merchants - I hope to see more and more in years to come.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:08 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,745
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DslDwg View Post
Working through some real world numbers - dunderhi lists 37.5 mpg as an avg. .
Yes, but I am not average.

Looking at Fuelly, the combined average for the 165 participating 335ds is 30.7 mpgs, whereas the combined average for the 94 participating 335is is 21.8 mpgs. So in aggregate, the 335d has a 41% real world advantage in fuel economy over the 335i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DslDwg View Post
The diesel is a great option for all but the most jaded speed merchants - I hope to see more and more in years to come.
I think the 550dx will satisfy some of us jaded speed merchants.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 11-25-2012, 10:13 PM
d geek d geek is online now
diesel evangelist
Location: San Antonio, TX, USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,058
Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DslDwg View Post
...
Too bad it doesn't look like BMW will put the 3.0L I6 in the F30 as I'd be all over that...
The F31 sportswagon will most likely be the 330d
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 11-26-2012, 05:53 AM
Needsdecaf's Avatar
Needsdecaf Needsdecaf is offline
Everything's Bigger in TX
Location: The Woodlands, TX
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,106
Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
The F31 sportswagon will most likely be the 330d
I'm guessing more like the 320d.
__________________
2011 535i
Sophisto Grau / Oyster - Black Nappa, Anthracite Wood Gone but not forgotten.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 11-26-2012, 09:22 AM
d geek d geek is online now
diesel evangelist
Location: San Antonio, TX, USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,058
Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I'm guessing more like the 320d.
I'm hoping that the F30 320d will be the first introduced, followed by the F31 330d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Diesel F10 coming to the US in 2013, as well as a host of other diesel models.

F30 3 Series sedan diesel - first half 2013
F31 3 Series sports wagon- second half 2013

F10 5 Series diesel - third quarter 2013
X5d diesel - end of 2013
7 Series diesel - first half 2014
X3d diesel - first half 2014

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766377...
My reasoning is that most americans would assume that the 4 cyl wagon would be underpowered, so BMW will offer the 330d instead of the 320d in the F31. We'll see
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 AM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,140
Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I'm guessing more like the 320d.
Yup, this sounds more reasonable.

4 cylinder in 3 series and X3. (Mercedes will have a 4 cyl CDI C Class and GLK soon. Next gen A4 is bringing a diesel and the Q5 3.0TDI will go on sale next year)

6 cylinder in 5, X5, 7

4 cylinder in a 3 series should be ok IMO. The 6 cylinder was overkill and cost more than a 335i, which was one of the major reasons why it didn't sell so well. Price a 4 cylinder diesel less than the 328i and they will have a hit on their hands if it hits 40+ mpg.

Last edited by AutoUnion; 11-26-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms