Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Options/Packages that are 'must have' or 'must consider'

A thread I wanted to put together to help new F30 owners in their buying decision. Let's get some options/packages that are 'must haves' or 'must consider'. I will kick it off. A package that I think new owners should consider is the Handling package. This feature allows you to change the characteristic of the car with a push of a button. It gives the car a Jackle and Hyde personality. I would strongly recommend this package. Now, share some more!

I will kick it off with the
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
ZDH if a non-sport or xDrive model. Some would say the sport suspension on the Sport line and M Sport makes the ZDH not a necessity.

I won't have leatherette. It is not the same as leather. The car now comes standard with keyless starting, which makes keyless unlocking and locking that much more desirable. Because I like it I require lumbar support. I also will not buy any car that lacks a sunroof. Therefore, the premium package is a must have for me.

I will not buy a car that lacks xenon headlights, so, for the 328i, the lighting package is a must.

I also consider the HK stereo a must have.

Park Distance Control and/or rear view camera are strongly suggested.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 11-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
For me, the "must haves" are:
1. manual transmission
2. heated seats
3. Xenon lights
4. Harman Kardon stereo system

The "must NOT haves" are:
1. moonroof (I am very tall and need the extra headroom)
2. automatic transmission

1000 posts!

Old 11-26-2012, 01:39 AM
I saw the light!

Mein Auto: 13 F30
For me:

Xenon
Dynamic Handling
Technology
Harmon Kardon

2013 335i F30 M Sport (ZMM, EBII, ZDH, ZTP, 2TB, 688) My ED Trip
2002 E36/7 Topaz Blue Roadster
BMWCCA Member ID: 456926
Old 11-26-2012, 05:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Look at my Sig.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Sport auto
Sport suspension
Sport seats
Hartman kardon
Leather
Old 11-26-2012, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Sport Line
Have-to-haves were:

Sport Line
Manual Transmission
Technology Package
Mineral Gray

Manuals aren't easy to find, and the one I did find (had to be shipped to Providence from Virginia) also had the lighting, premium, convenience, and sport seats... so it ended up being more luxurious than I needed... and I payed a few k more than I initially wanted to, but what the hey... this car is NUTS
Old 11-26-2012, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Must haves are:

MT
Sport Line or Dynamic handling
Heated seats
Leather seats
Old 11-26-2012, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: a car
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
A thread I wanted to put together to help new F30 owners in their buying decision. Let's get some options/packages that are 'must haves' or 'must consider'. I will kick it off. A package that I think new owners should consider is the Handling package. This feature allows you to change the characteristic of the car with a push of a button. It gives the car a Jackle and Hyde personality. I would strongly recommend this package. Now, share some more!

I will kick it off with the
I don't think the "Handling package" is what you describe. The buttons that change you driving dynamics into four different modes (Eco -> Comfort -> Sport -> Sport+) is standard on base F30. It is not a package.

There is a "dynamic handling package" which has Adaptive M Suspension and Variable Sport Steering.

Must have's for me are:
Lighting package
Harmon Kardon
Enhanced Bluetooth

Must consider:
M Sport Line
Estoril Blue
Tech package
Dynamic handling package
Driver assistance package
Premium package
Sport auto with paddle shifters

Enhanced Bluetooth comes with the tech package so no need to order both.
I ordered one with all of the above options except Premium until my dealer messed up and I cancelled. Am working with another dealer to order one with all of the above.

Last edited by kkapdolee; 11-26-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport
must have
moonroof
navigation w/ enhanced BT and USB
lighting package
a line (for 18")

must consider
heated ffront seats
alarm
sportline
leather
xdrive
Old 11-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkapdolee View Post
I don't think the "Handling package" is what you describe. The buttons that change you driving dynamics into four different modes (Eco -> Comfort -> Sport -> Sport+) is standard on base F30. It is not a package.

There is a "dynamic handling package" which has Adaptive M Suspension and Variable Sport Steering.
He was referring to the dynamic handling package. Without the ZDH the driving mode switch has no effect at all on the suspension. There is no effect to be had. It is static. The only things changed are the steering and throttle response. Sport + comes only on the Sport line and M Sport. With the ZDH the driving mode switch can change the suspension settings and the way the settings are changed can be chosen in iDrive.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-26-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Software Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
If you are going to post abbreviations or acronyms can you also spell out the feature names? Future BMW owners don't know all the acronyms as you all do.

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 11-26-2012, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
I think virtually all of the options are must-have, and ordered my car as such.

I didn't get the Parking Assistance, as there's not much need to parallel park where I live. I could probably do with out Speed Limit Info, heated steering wheel and Land Departure Warning, but those three were free options on the AH3.

The rest, I really wouldn't want to do without. If I'm paying $50K+ for a car, I expect Nav, Lighting Package, cameras, Bluetooth, comfort access etc. Those are all conveniences that I use daily, and would probably look at a different car altogether if I needed to save the $10K or so in options. A $30K Honda comes with all of those, so I just can't imagine driving around in a $45K BMW that doesn't come with these "essentials".
Old 11-26-2012, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: F30 335i Superman M Sport
A real must:

-Tech package (HUD FTW)
-Dynamic Handling package (the car becomes Jekyll and Hyde)
-Park Distance control (hard to see how close you are with just the back window)
-Xenons (for 328i, the Lighting package)

Nice to have:

-Leather (I've heard the leatherette is nice enough, but if you can get it, get it)
-M-Sport line (that steering wheel and front fascia are enough to make it a must have, but to each his/her own)
-Manual (the 8 speed ZF is amazing. But I just want to row my own gears!)
-Moonroof (never had it before, but use it all the time now)

If you're crazy:

-Estoril Blue exterior / Coral Red leather interior (Superman)

2013 BMW 335i Sedan Estoril Blue II M Sport 2PF|6MT|ZDH|ZTP|Coral Red Leather|688|508
2007 Nissan Sentra SE-R
Old 11-26-2012, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i, AP1 S2000
My personal must-haves in an F30:
HID headlights - for which to see by
A fun, sporty drive - meaning Sport Line. (In particular to the F30, the Adaptive M Suspension enhances this since the shocks in SPORT mode are firmer than the passive Sport Line shocks, but Sport Line already crosses the "fun, sporty drive" threshold so the option is not a must-have.)
Sport Auto Transmission - yes, since an auto was a must-have (I have other vehicles for my manual shifting needs) it needed to be the sportiest possible auto. (The SAT rivals the dual-clutch transmissions I've driven.)

Everything else is just fluff, and dependent on budget.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH
For me it was 335i, xDrive, Dynamic Handling Package, 6MT, leather, heated seats.

Really wish US cars could get factory installed M Sport brakes like some other markets get, but oh well.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post

Really wish US cars could get factory installed M Sport brakes like some other markets get, but oh well.
You can get them installed at the VPC, but it's $3K+.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Must-haves for me (note not what I have but what I now consider essential after a year with the car:

1. Sportline or M-Sport

2. Tech package (need NAV, HUD and the iphone link)

3. Premium package

4. Xenons

5. Rear-camera/park sensors

6. Heated seats

Nice to have:

1. Sport-Auto

2. HK

3. All-around cameras

4. Cold-weather package
Old 11-26-2012, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i X-Drive
I've driven many F30's so I will throw in my 2 cents for whatever its worth

First the only thing I can absolutely say is a must have is the lighting package....it just loses the BMW look without it and I hear there is no true upgrade available after the fact

Second, if you had unlimited funds you probably would not be posting this thread, therefore anything after that is all personal opinion.

I use my nav and iphone alot so the navigation for me was essential and comes with everything you need, tech package is really not important unless you want a Head Up Display which I did not and still do not like, I remember when corvettes had it ages ago and I hated it then and still do now although BMW did a much nicer job with it.

Forget all these tech upgrade with all these cameras...totally lame, buy a lexus if thats what you are looking for.

The handling package and sport automatic tranny are cool if you have spare money but you def do not "need them" as you would drive the car in a way so much where you will see that a vast difference. All the sport auto gives you is a nice appearence and paddle shifters, Drive sport mode comes with the regular auto tranny so no loss.

I personally loathe sun roofs but its totally personal I live where its warm for 3 months and ive never used em in the past....maybe if i smoked or wanted the extra weight or wanted to fix it in the future or liked the wind noise it makes or like the sun glaring on my shaved head then i would get it

You would be happy with the leather and lumbar support and comfort access but it's an expensive option so its not neccessary, leatherette wears better especially if you have kids

Cold weather package is cool but like i said if you are on a budget just get heated front seats its really the most important part

Save money on paint it you are looking for black or white dont get the metal flakes....nothing looks better than a freshly waxed Jet Black BMW!

As far as sound system no need for harmon kardon TRUST me on that one the stock sound system is amazing...ive heard both and cant really tell much a difference at all

I would however reccomend you get a line of your choosing, I like the sport or m sport line but thats just me, I think you would regret going without one

Usually on these forums it's people rattling off what they got on theirs but it truly is all about personal tastes, let me know if you have questions and goodluck!
Old 11-26-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloF30 View Post
As far as sound system no need for harmon kardon TRUST me on that one the stock sound system is amazing...ive heard both and cant really tell much a difference at all
You'd probably be best advised to skip over the dozens of threads here and elsewhere from folks bemoaning the abysmal sound of the stock system
Old 11-26-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
You'd probably be best advised to skip over the dozens of threads here and elsewhere from folks bemoaning the abysmal sound of the stock system
I wasn't too happy with the stock sound system when I first got the car as the sound quality wasn't as good as my last car. But like the steering it's something I quickly got used to and now I think it sounds pretty good!
Old 11-26-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
I wasn't too happy with the stock sound system when I first got the car as the sound quality wasn't as good as my last car. But like the steering it's something I quickly got used to and now I think it sounds pretty good!
I guess it depends on what your used to, and your expectations. Some folks think their Camry is a good-driving car, too
Old 11-26-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I guess it depends on what your used to, and your expectations. Some folks think their Camry is a good-driving car, too
Well we are all just giving our opinions here, no right or wrong answers.

But I think you missed my point completely, I was used to better sound quality, but I'm still very happy now with the stock system after getting used to it.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i X-Drive
Well I was considering budget....and if you are on one the sound upgrade is def not worth it unless you have some sort of acute hearing that picks up on small variations in sound....if your used to hearing some superior sounds systems them maybe it will bother you lol Its def a personal opinion all of them being tough including the rampant second guessing
Old 11-26-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
Well we are all just giving our opinions here, no right or wrong answers.

But I think you missed my point completely, I was used to better sound quality, but I'm still very happy now with the stock system after getting used to it.
Well of course, all opinions. I just take issue with anyone that thinks both systems sound identical, and could not consider the possibility that others may be expecting more, or can easily hear the difference (improvement).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloF30 View Post
Well I was considering budget....and if you are on one the sound upgrade is def not worth it unless you have some sort of acute hearing that picks up on small variations in sound....if your used to hearing some superior sounds systems them maybe it will bother you lol Its def a personal opinion all of them being tough including the rampant second guessing

Well of course if you're trying to save $900, it's probably not the best upgrade. You mean "acute hearing that picks up on small variations in sound" like when someone's tone of voice is being angry, sad or sarcastic I personally thought the stock system was so inferior, I actually thought something was broken with it. Of course I'd rather live with the stock system than give up the car for a Camry with a $10K stereo, but the improvements BMW gives you for $900 would be impossible to replicate via aftermarket upgrades to the standard Hi-Fi stereo in the F30.