Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-23-2012, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 96 318ti
fuel pump ?

it would seem the wifes 96 318ti wont start,it has been running like a top,no issues other than a minor oil leak.the car does turn over,i shot starting fluid into the throttle body and i could get it to bark abit,this wasnt a attempt to keep it running,just trying to do my best at diagnosing (spark,fuel and air )i can hear the fuel pump when i turn the key however i have no pressure on the injector rail ( the release valve ) next step was that i disconnected the fuel line at the fuel filter between tank and fuel filter.had no fuel come out of line when key switch was turn on,even though i could again hear the pump whine.questions
1)has anybody ever heard of fuel pump being bad and still audible,im thinking impellers may be bad ? i have replaced more than a few pumps over the years and either they were on or not,all or nothing.
2)while doing the previous i was taking breaks and looking through forums for some help,now im all stressed out over everything from cam,crank sensors to dme being fried from some bad windsheild seal...
am i on the right track ??
Ads by Google
Old 08-23-2012, 06:14 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
yes, a pump can spin but not build pressure when the vanes are worn enough.

your guage isn't reading empty, or almost empty, is it?? you may have a faulty sender for the guage.

df
Old 08-23-2012, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: 96 318ti
gas gauge is reading about 3/4 full,what has me a bit baffled is the fact there was no warning whatsoever and that im still getting noises from the pump,even though like i said earlier no fuel is being pumped....new fuel pump on order,will pick-up and install in the a.m.
hope my guess is right,fairly expensive guess.
wish me luck
Old 08-23-2012, 07:33 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
if there is power to the pump, and it is running, but nothing is coming out of the fuel line, then yeah, it sounds to me like a fuel pump.

df
Old 11-27-2012, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: e36 bmw
yep fuel pump while at it replace filter