Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2012, 09:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Motorcycle
Just changed tranny fluid

Was very easy. Took it to a shop near by with a lift. I've known the guys for a very long time and they'll let me help out on my own repairs, which I like to do. Its great because they have done pretty much everything under the sun and its nice having that experience around.

Have to say, the job was easier than expected. I was uneasy about the amount of fluid that was to be put back in prior to the job, knowing that the fluid is supposed to overflow, and something about that just seems inexact to me. After we drained the fluid, we marked on the bucket with a sharpie how much came out. We cleaned the bucket up and filled it with new fluid, just over the line and it gave us a pretty good indication how much to add. You have to be quick with pulling the tube and putting the filling bolt back in but we didn't lose too much. Started up with no problems and it runs great. It does seem to shift better, even if slightly. I haven't been experiencing any rough transmission stuff but still, it seems to be a tad better.

I'll add that the fluid that came out was black as hell. I am at 102k on the odometer. It feels pretty good to have done the job. I'm knockin on wood here but let me say, I feel very lucky with this car. Its been the most reliable problem free car I've ever had. I've put 39k on it and haven't had any issues beyond normal maintenance. Blue tooth module was bad when I bought the car but other than that, she has been a real joy. Of course, I don't rag her out like I might have fifteen years ago.

For those about to do the job, take note of the mechatronic sleeve before you take it out. It was fussy getting it back in far enough. Could shaved a few minutes off if I had done the job before. We needed to push it in just a tiny bit more than we thought. Never force it but with a bit of lube on the o-rings it went it with just a teeny bit of help from a cheater.

Good luck if you do it. If you need a great shop in Brooklyn to do the job, the guys at Wyckoff Halsey Auto repair know how now. I'd recommend them without hesitation. I ordered my parts from CTSC and bought the whole kit. Lastly, the tranny only held five quarts, I bought seven just in case. If someone wants to buy my other two, let me know.

Best,
josh
Ads by Google