Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 11-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
First time in NYC...for business but have an afternoon/evening to spare...

I'll be in New York City (Manhattan area) next week arriving Monday 11:00 AM, but I have no work scheduled until Tuesday morning....It's my first time in NYC and would like to hear some "must go" recommendations....as well as what would you eat, local pizzerias maybe? Basically, what would be your one or two things that you wouldn't miss if in New York?

Advertisement
Old 11-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto:
Put on top of your lost these two things

Go to Broadway late at night
Pick your food up at a local halal food cart in the city. It is a MUST have
Old 11-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
I'll be in New York City (Manhattan area) next week arriving Monday 11:00 AM, but I have no work scheduled until Tuesday morning....It's my first time in NYC and would like to hear some "must go" recommendations....as well as what would you eat, local pizzerias maybe? Basically, what would be your one or two things that you wouldn't miss if in New York?
Junior's Cheesecake... Ohhhhh... Junior's Cheescake. Both in Grand Central and Times Square. Lordy.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Where are you staying?

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 11-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2014 335i
If you like Chinese food, check out congee village in Chinatown. The congee is some of the best I've ever had. Their ribs are ridiculously good as well. Never had a bad meal there.

For touristy stuff, Times Square, 30 rock, Wall Street, ss intrepid, wtc memorial are all typical go to spots.
2012 F30 335i Sedan - BSM, Sport Line, PP,Tech,HK,CW,DA2
2010 E90 M3 - JBM PP,TP,ES,CW,Beast

BMWCCA #471315
Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
Go for a walk along the high line http://www.thehighline.org/
Old 11-27-2012, 09:09 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto:
Almost forgot - Central Park!!
Old 11-27-2012, 09:38 PM
Aficionado

Thanks!, all great suggestions, it's going to be hard to decide, mostly because I have no idea how long it takes to go from one place to another. I'm staying at The Bentley 500 E 62nd St, but actually spending most of the day on Fifth Ave between 52nd and 53rd Streets.

Empire State Building is kind of close (surprised no one mentioned it), is it worth going?
Then the Highline sounds good, WTC Memorial, Times Square, Broadway and Chinatown too. I'm taking notes and will start mapping everything to try and have a visual and make a decision. Definitely too little time....
Thanks again!

Last edited by X3-terrestrial; 11-27-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:56 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
Quote:
Thanks!, all great suggestions, it's going to be hard to decide, mostly because I have no idea how long it takes to go from one place to another. I'm staying at The Bentley 500 E 62nd St, but actually spending most of the day on Fifth Ave between 52nd and 53rd Streets.

Empire State Building is kind of close (surprised no one mentioned it), is it worth going?
Then the Highline sounds good, WTC Memorial, Times Square, Broadway and Chinatown too. I'm taking notes and will start mapping everything to try and have a visual and make a decision. Definitely too little time....
Thanks again!
You'll be within easy walking distance of the park. If its a nice day, a walk around the park with lunch at The Boathouse is a good choice. WTC is downtown, the subway gets you there in about 20 minutes. Once there, you're close to South Street Seaport or China Town. Empire State Building is kind of mid-town no mans land, but if you want to see Times Square, and the Christmas displays in the Macy's window, that's all right there.

Whatever you do, plan ahead. If you try to see just one or two areas, you can get there quickest by subway and then walk. Manhattan is one of the greatest walking cities in the world.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 11-28-2012, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
+1 on the High Line. And then you can go down to SoHo. Go to Houston St [1st St.] and Broadway and just continue walking south on Broadway a block or two. Turn right and walk through all the chi chi art shops and small little eateries. Nice for about an hour's liesurely walk. Very young and hip area.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Raoul Duke

Mein Auto: Great Red Shark
No trip to NYC for me would be complete without some rockin' canolis or other italian pastries/cookies. Hit up Veniero's. http://www.venierospastry.com/

Old 11-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:

Thanks again!
Rockefeller Center would be an obvious choice since if you are on 5th Ave. Between 52nd and 53rd you are 2 blocks away. The neighborhhod where you are staying is mainly hospitals and residences but you are not far from Midtown. If the weather is nice walk from the hotel to the job as it is only a few blocks. Walk West on 62nd St. to Park Ave and then head south down Park to 53rd Street. Many good restaurants within easy walking distance of your Hotel.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 11-28-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw View Post
No trip to NYC for me would be complete without some rockin' canolis or other italian pastries/cookies. Hit up Veniero's. http://www.venierospastry.com/

When is the last time you've been to Veniero? That was good 10-15 years ago. Now it is owned by Chinese/Korean whatever and not by Italians. It is mediocre at best, if you catch them in a good day. Stay away. This place runs on its past reputation. It used to be one of my favorite places since I used to live just a couple of blocks away, and the few times I tried them during the last few years they were so bad.

Last edited by MatWiz; 11-28-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Rockefeller Center would be an obvious choice since if you are on 5th Ave. ....

CA
I wanted to say that. Rock Center is beautiful at night if they already put out the holiday decorations with all the angels and the white lights going from 5th to the ice skating rink. Stunning.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 328i M-sport Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj745 View Post
Put on top of your lost these two things

Go to Broadway late at night
Pick your food up at a local halal food cart in the city. It is a MUST have
To be more specific, the one on the SW corner of 6th Ave and 53rd.

http://53rdand6th.com/

In the mid 90s I worked at Coopers & Lybrand when they were in the Credit Lyonnais building which is that exact block. I worked there 5 years. There were long lines every night. And I never tried it. DOH!!!!!
PCD - December 16, 2009

Last edited by cruise_bone; 11-28-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: 328i M-sport Coupe
Quote:

Thanks again!
You will be very close to the place I mentioned in my previous post. But, see below first:

Now that I know where you are staying, here is how I would spend my one evening in NYC:

1) Avoid Times Square at all costs. It is nothing but pure tourist HELL.
2) Visit Rock Center to see the huge Christmas Tree, the skating rink, and take in the general holiday cheer. The Radio City Christmas Spectacular is right around the corner as well. It's a tad cheesy but very well done.
3) From Rock Center, cross Fifth Ave and check out Saks Fifth Avenue.
4) Walk South on 5th Avenue and visit Grand Central which is 1 block East of 5th. It's an amazing building, they will have a great little Christmas shopping area set up, and there is a Junior's (on the lower level) where you can have the worlds greatest cheesecake. There is also a great bakery on the same level as Junior's called The Little Pie Company.
5) Walk East to Third Avenue, north to 49th (an 8-10 min walk) and have dinner at Smith & Wollensky.
6) If you are into Jazz, check out the Monday night band at The Village Vanguard. The second set is usually a little better because a few of the Broadway cats play the second set since it's after their shows get out.

Done. What a night! And you can do all of that (except #6) without a subway ride or cab ride.

BTW, I've lived in NYC twice for about 7 years and I've never been up the ESB.
PCD - December 16, 2009

Old 11-28-2012, 02:03 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
Quote:

Thanks again!
If you want to see the city from above I recommend Top of The Rock (Rockefeller Center) instead of Empire State Building.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
Old 11-28-2012, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i Sport Prem 5Spd
I live about 25 miles away from Manhattan, when people visit and want to go and see "the city" on a budget here's where I take them; (You don't need to do all of this, but it's all good stuff)

MIDTOWN

Start at Rockefeller Center, see the tree at Xmas time and then hit all the department stores/xmas windows on 5th ave and Radio City on 6th. Don't forget the top of the rock (The GE Building) if the line's not too long, the views are better than the Empire State Building, Bring a Camera, it's worth the $30.

You can walk north to 59th street (central park south / Apple store / Barney's / Plaza Hotel / Columbus Circle and Time Warner Center)

Walk East to Park Ave and and then South towards the MetLife Building, Continue down park ave until you Walk underneath the Helmsley building breezeway (New York Central Building). Then Walk into the 45th street entrance of the Metlife Building and straight through the lobby, this will take you directly into Grand Central, go down the escalators and take it all in, junior's cheesecake is there as well as other great stuff like the whispering gallery outside the oyster bar, Vanderbilt Hall and Another Apple store.

DOWNTOWN (Skip this if you want, but it's worth doing)

When you're done in GCT and if you're feeling ambitious, you can find the subway and jump on the 5 express train to Bowling Green station, which is a short walk to battery park which has great views of the Statue of Liberty, if you've got an hour to kill, hop on the Staten Island Ferry (it's free) for great views of the city from the water. When you get to Staten Island get back on a ferry to the city and enjoy the views again.

When you're done at the battery walk north on Broadway to Wall St. and Trinity Church, If you keep walking east you can find the South Street Seaport, Just north of the South Street Seaport is the Brooklyn Bridge (a great walk with great views, especially at dusk) At the foot of the Manhattan side of the bridge is the City Hall, walk to West side of City Hall to the "R" Subway Station.

LOWER MIDTOWN

Hop on the R Train To Herald Square. At the surface you'll find Macys at Herald Square (Thanksgiving day parade...), When you're done At Macy's walk east to the Empire State Building (the lobby is nice). When you're done at the Empire State Building walk north 6 blocks to the New York Public Library and Bryant Park. Then walk a Block west to 40th and Broadway to the "Times Square" R train station (see TS if you must...) and get on the R train back up to the Lexington Ave stop and walk 3 blocks back to your hotel.

2000 528i Sport Premium 5speed
Old 11-28-2012, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
Junior's Cheesecake... Ohhhhh... Junior's Cheescake. Both in Grand Central and Times Square. Lordy.
Junior's in Manhattan? Fuggedaboutit! The only good Juniors in on Flatbush Ave.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years
Old 11-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Raoul Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
When is the last time you've been to Veniero? That was good 10-15 years ago. Now it is owned by Chinese/Korean whatever and not by Italians. It is mediocre at best, if you catch them in a good day. Stay away. This place runs on its past reputation. It used to be one of my favorite places since I used to live just a couple of blocks away, and the few times I tried them during the last few years they were so bad.
It's been a long time since I was there. You've seriously burst my canoli bubble.

Their FB page shows the bakers from mobile pics taken just last week. They are Italian.

So this blurb on their site is a lie?
Quote:
Four Generations of Quality Baking

Continuously Owned & Operated by the Veniero Family since 1894

Veniero’s Pastry Shop and Caffé, located at 342 East 11th Street (between 1st and 2nd Avenue)
New York, NY 10003

Having just past its 115 Year Anniversary, this famous landmark was established in 1894 by its founder, Antonio Veniero. When he operated his establishment, it was a pool emporium and caffé where he served his baked products to his customers. Later, the demand fo his Italian pastries and cakes won him awards in Rome, Bolognia, and at the New York World’s Fair.

Today the Pastry shop and caffé has many of its original details, including hand stamped metal ceilings, specially designed etched glass doors, highly polished wood mirrors, and ornate marble floors (which has since been restored after almost a century of wear).

Upon entering the pastry shop, you are greeted by a wonderful display of traditional and regional Italian confections, a vast variety of large an miniature pastries, and assortments of hand-made Italian butter cookies. Take in the aroma of the freshly baked biscotti (Italian biscuits) as well as the traditional cheese cakes and specialty cakes. A full 40 feet of ecstacy for the dessert lover!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Aficionado

WOW, all excellent recommendations! special thanks to captainaudio, cruise bone and ddp528 for the detailed "Itineraries", and everybody for their input, very appreciated, now I have a clearer idea on what to do!. Definitely going to pass on the ESB and hit the Rock center. The flight gets there at 11.00, if no delays, hopefully will be checked in at the hotel and ready to hit the streets about 1:00-1:30. Probably look for the 53rd and 6th gyro cart for lunch!

No idea if the people we're going to be working with are taking us out Tuesday after work, but if they don't, we'll have one more evening to enjoy before coming back home Wednesday afternoon!

Thanks again all!

Last edited by X3-terrestrial; 11-29-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw View Post
It's been a long time since I was there. You've seriously burst my canoli bubble.

Their FB page shows the bakers from mobile pics taken just last week. They are Italian.

So this blurb on their site is a lie?

Quote:
Four Generations of Quality Baking

Continuously Owned & Operated by the Veniero Family since 1894

Veniero’s Pastry Shop and Caffé, located at 342 East 11th Street (between 1st and 2nd Avenue)
New York, NY 10003
Hmm... I just saw the Youtube video with the owner.

Not sure about that Chinese phase. I was there a few times a couple of years ago (company wanted to go there), and every single person behind the counter was from the far east. And the quality of the pastry sucked. None of us finished his/her slice of cake. Seriously???

Then, I was driving through 11th street many times, and automatically looking inside to check it out. After all, I was a regular. It was almost empty many times.

I don't know the story, but maybe the owners took it back. Maybe they took a partner in and then bought him out. Maybe they sold and then re-bought when the other guy lost business. Who knows. But I'm looking at the quote of the blurb and if you look at it with somewhat suspicious eyes.. Let me ask you that: When do you see people say "Continuously Owned & Operated by.."?? Why the emphasis? You'd normally see "Since 1984". Or "Family owned since 1894". But these 2 words, "Continuously" and then "owned AND OPERATED". Why do they feel the need to say "continuously"? I think it's definitely to overcome rumors and impressions shared by people like me, who saw differently. And why adding not only Owned, but And Operated? It is obviously they didn't operate it.

Anyway, hopefully it is back to its core tradition. Maybe they learned a painful lesson. I hope.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:59 AM
Raoul Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
Hmm... I just saw the Youtube video with the owner.

Not sure about that Chinese phase. I was there a few times a couple of years ago (company wanted to go there), and every single person behind the counter was from the far east. And the quality of the pastry sucked. None of us finished his/her slice of cake. Seriously???

Then, I was driving through 11th street many times, and automatically looking inside to check it out. After all, I was a regular. It was almost empty many times.

I don't know the story, but maybe the owners took it back. Maybe they took a partner in and then bought him out. Maybe they sold and then re-bought when the other guy lost business. Who knows. But I'm looking at the quote of the blurb and if you look at it with somewhat suspicious eyes.. Let me ask you that: When do you see people say "Continuously Owned & Operated by.."?? Why the emphasis? You'd normally see "Since 1984". Or "Family owned since 1894". But these 2 words, "Continuously" and then "owned AND OPERATED". Why do they feel the need to say "continuously"? I think it's definitely to overcome rumors and impressions shared by people like me, who saw differently. And why adding not only Owned, but And Operated? It is obviously they didn't operate it.

Anyway, hopefully it is back to its core tradition. Maybe they learned a painful lesson. I hope.
Wow... I recall days of having to stand in line around 5pm on a Friday night just to get a tray of canolis. Never ate anything there.. just walked over, picked up our munchies and walked back to my friend's apt. Not surprised the counters would be staffed by people of different nationalities, but places like this pride themselves on being owned/operated by the family for such a long time.

Anyhow, when I think of owned and operated it doesn't account for the worker bees behind the counters. I think of who runs the place, does the baking, manages the books, etc.

I'll be taking the family to NYC this winter. Besides my obligatory meal at Arturo's I'll stop by Veneiro's just to put it to rest in my own mind.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:06 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: VW Wabbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise_bone View Post
1) Avoid Times Square at all costs.
2) Visit Rock Center
2 very good recommendations

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 11-29-2012, 07:29 AM
O.G.

Mein Auto: 2011 MDX, 2001 330xi
If you are interested in going to a museum, I'd suggest MOMA. As a plus, they now have Edvard Munch's "Scream" on temporary exhibit.

Also, it's very close to you: 53rd & 5th

Last edited by Spiderm0n; 11-29-2012 at 07:31 AM.