Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 05 E60 545i, 84 E30 318i
Plastidip or Vinyl wrap

So I have a few options for color, and paint isnt one of them. Not now anyway. So ive been at a crossroad between plastidip or vinyl wrap for my project E30. Ive seen a few decent vinyl wraps on cars, but havnt yet seen a fully "plastidipped" car yet. Has anyone here seen one? What are your opinions on it. And I mean, in person, not google. They all look good on camera, but Id rather judge, or take opinions from in person encounters. Ive also narrowed down to three color choices: Gun Metal Grey(flat or gloss) Fire Orange Gloss or Laguna Seca blue (flat or gloss). Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by ///Mariani; 11-23-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-23-2012, 10:56 AM
1 John 1:9

Mein Auto: E30, Rabbit GTI
None /thread
Old 11-23-2012, 06:25 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
save your cash for paint. they look ok at a distance, however when you get up close they have to overlap the covers for the corners. they dont last long either. they start peeling
Old 11-24-2012, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: bmw e30 320i
Neither.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:40 AM

So Neither it is then. It will just be a little while before im ready for a GOOD paint job. No Maaco BS.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 1986 325e 4 door auto
I saw a new jetta sprayed in pastidip this past sunday. matte orange. I thought it looked sweet!!!

but i think it really depends on the car that your considering to do. I dont know how an E30 would look.

I am considering doing my jeep yj in pastidip. I have seen a few of those as well and they look nice and clean. once you get tired of it, peel it off and do it again!

Last edited by E30 hobby car; 11-27-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:16 AM

Volkswagen are inferior to a BMW. Plasti dip a vw, everyones like oh that's cool, plasti dip a BMW and everyone thinks your a idiot. With BMW comes class.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:21 AM

well, I have seen new M5's done in plastidip and they also looked sweet.

lets not get carried away. a car is a car. its the person driving it that has the class or not. i have seen many bmw's driven by complete tools. or better yet. making their bmw look like a ricer.

as for VW being inferior, well, i think that's more a point of personal opinion.

Last edited by E30 hobby car; 12-09-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 hobby car View Post

lets not get carried away. a car is a car. its the person driving it that has the class or not. i have seen many bmw's driven my complete tools. or better yet. making their bmw look like a ricer.

as for VW being inferior, well, i think that's more a point of personal opinion.
All the new 3er's and 5er's have a matte finish option. Far from plasti dipped. High quality paint.

As for Volkswagen's, I've owned a 83 Rabbit GTI its a sweet car, handles very well. The rest are nothing special. Not compared to a E30. I hate mk4-mk6 they all suck. The thorough codes all the time. Brand new car with the check engine light on. BMW's are just built much better, suspension, to motor is just made better. Even the body is made with better metal. Opinion or not BMW's are better.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:53 PM

Ill agree, any BMW is more than just "a car." They're more than that. I understand that they are replaceable objects, but for some(me), they're not so easily replaceable. I just dont have $$ like that, so its more of a live with ur choice situation. Thats not the only reason though, hell I love my cars. If they were just cars, I would see no point in investing my time in them, because I dont need them, they're not DD's. My Mitsu is the only needed car, but I also keep her around cause I love her too. And to have an Icon like the E30 in my Garage, I think im privileged to be working on God's Chariot. But more to the point, I was thinking of Plastidip because of the forementioned peel right off when ur tired of it, or in my case, ready for real paint, feature. But I think ill hold off on color all together and focus my $$ on motor, drivetrain, suspension, for now. Maybe even a little interior work before color.

Last edited by ///Mariani; 11-27-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:40 PM

on the other hand, instead of not doing it... you could actually do it. I have searched a bit and cant find any plastic dip e30's. You could be the first.. do it.

I will be the first one to take a look.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:39 AM

Yea same here, I couldnt find any E30. I did find an E36. The guy did it in flat black. But his pics were small, so It looked decent from what I saw, but id really want to see it for myself before i drop money on this option. I did see a wrapped 1M at a car show once, i diddnt like so much. I still have lots of decisions to make b4 I start my project.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:48 AM
On Top

Send a message via AIM to SWISS Send a message via Yahoo to SWISS
Mein Auto: E30 S52 / S52 M roady
Damn already cold feet!?!?!

Epic fail.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: bmw e30 320i
Quote:

lets not get carried away. a car is a car. its the person driving it that has the class or not. i have seen many bmw's driven my complete tools. or better yet. making their bmw look like a ricer.

Your wrong a bmw is more than a car

Quote:
on the other hand, instead of not doing it... you could actually do it. I have searched a bit and cant find any plastic dip e30's. You could be the first.. do it.

I will be the first one to take a look.
theres a reason for that

Do properly or dont do it at all

Old 12-07-2012, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
Talking VW vs BMW arguements? Lol

Ive owned several of both, and they both make some good products and some pretty horrible ones. Personal opinion is no basis for an arguement, I base mine on experience and profession. A friend of mine at work had a Laguna Seca blue plasti-dipped 97 M3 sedan..looks of from a distance, not so hot up close...kinda looks furry. But a lot is in how its applied, not the product. Also, not all new BMW's are as great as you think...metals, engines, or suspensions...and like I said. Based on profession and experience with them, not opinions...