Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: na
The BMW X1 --- Why?

I'm interested in hearing from those of you that puled the trigger, and those that are close. I have a 2005 E46 325i and started looking at new BMWs out of a desire for a few creature comforts to ease my arthritic hands. Namely AWD (so I can stop swapping wheels and tires), an Auto transmission and a heated steering wheel. So the X1 ticked all the boxes.

I then was tempted into the new F30 3 series, but I've come to my senses. Not that the F30 is bad, but as I looked, I realized that this E84 is something of a bargain. I can set up the 2.8 with plenty of options and come in around $40k. That's about $7k less than a comparable optioned F30, and in the F30, I'd feel like I was missing something with all of the option boxes left un-ticked! lol

So, what is it that you really love about the X1? What do you hate? Any regrets?
Ads by Google
Old 11-24-2012, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
I have a 28i RWD and LOVE it. I have two 70 lb dogs and need the space in the back for them. I used to have a Saturn Vue and that was too big, traded that in for a VW Tiguan and that was pretty good size wise and the x1 is just a tad bit smaller than the Tiguan.

So far i haven't had any problems (other than fueling - can't get it to take more than 3/4 tank whether I self fuel or auto fuel - I think there is a thread about that on here). The dogs fit fine and have an easier time getting in the rear than they did the Vue or Tiguan (they are both 8 1/2 years old and I would need to lift up their rears to get into the Vue and Tiguan; with the x1 they just jump in).

The car is very maneuverable and easy to park in tight spaces. Also has plenty of power and have had no problems with short freeway onramps here in So Cal (getting up to 70 mph highway speeds quickly). Braking is excellent. I also appreciate the 'little things' like folding side mirrors that allow more space in my narrow two car garage and the tech features I got via the Tech package - for me it was worth the extra price, although I didn't need everything in the package (still can't get the auto garage door opener to work).

So far so good..... Enjoy the decision making process!

DeeDee
Old 11-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Missing German roads

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i
I'll be doing ED next year on an X1. So here are my thoughts.

The X1 is not a 3 series, I'd descrbie it as a older equiped and liften 3 series wagon (which it really is) with fewer features and not as well executed vehicle. It's not as luxurious inside as a 3 series, more plastic and basic styling. You don't really get any features added to any bmw in the last 5 years. No powered trunk lift, no active cruise control, lane departure and collision warnings, the backup camera has a single camera vs other bmw's with multiple cameras/top down views, no active suspension for adjusting ride feeling.

The biggest thing to remember is the X1 has been out for 5 years in Europe and it's almost the only bmw model to not get redesigned or updated in the last couple years. 3 series and X3 just got updated this last year and both can offer far more features and refinement, and actually an X3's, depending on the options, are often only a couple thousand more than an X1, and still come with a few minor features with that difference.

I think the X1 sales would be much lower if the car had already been out for a year or two, but the new factor is what's helping it sell (and I'm sure there will be a lot of upset X1 owners when they see a completely new X1 "so soon" for the US in 2015 when it switches to the Countrman chasis)

The X1 is considered a baby or cheap bmw by some. I was at a local dealer the 2nd day it arrived in my area (in August) and two SA's just 15' away were openly mocking it while I was standing next to it (My SA was checking on something and not there at the time). The 2 SA's were basically going on how they couldn't believe bmw would release such a revolting and basic car and that they'd expect to see something like it from Subaru. I do though think that because of it's price and its fewer features than other current bmw's some snobby people will always look down on it.

However if you're not looking for every latest feature or styling and want decent older 3 series performance (and some people like the performance and handling of the older 3 series more than the new 3 series) that has some performance loss due to its higher ride height but find an X3 too tall and wobbly then the X1 is actually a good option. I have to admit it's a small market for this car. It's basically people who want to save some money and own a bmw and don't care about newer 3 series and x3 features. There's also a very small number of e90/e93 owners that don't want the new f chasis and are considering the X1 since it's the last e series chasis car being sold.

If Audi releases the q3 and when merc releases their gla next year bmw x1 sales will drop. Right now bmw has the only compact suv that has power and handling. Most people comparing cars are comparing to ones with less than 200hp or are actually outside the category of the X1.

Personally, I don't care about luxury gadgets. I'm getting a very basic xDrive35 for the power, moonroof, adaptive lights and adding cold weather and paddle shifters. No leather, no trim, just performance and that's why I don't mind the luxury shortfalls of the X1. The X1 is also within 2" on every dimension of my current car and I'm very fond of the height vs handling tradeoff. I also like the big hood style that most people don't, too me it's more old fashion. As for some features the X1 lacks, mainly lane departure and collision safety features, I'm buying the aftermarket MobileEye 560 that's the same hardware found in BMW, Ford, Merc, and several other manufacturers (they're really the only company in that market) for about $700. It won't vibrate the steering wheel or apply one sides brakes to bring you back into the lane but if you listen to the alerts instead of "feeling" them it's bascially the same thing. The only thing buying the Mobileeye doesn't do is really apply the brakes or auto dim your brights (though brights I believe can be retro fitted according to the docs) but in some cases the cars with MobileEye included doesn't apply brakes to avoid a collision but instead uses them to slow down the impact right before. I also see a benefit though it not having it capable of controlling brakes because an experienced and alert drive should be able to react to any warnings as well or better than software.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx1 View Post
It's basically people who want to save some money and own a bmw and don't care about newer 3 series and x3 features.
An interesting aspect of my decision is that I really want a Subaru, --- in terms of type and capability, -- But I don't care for the light/tinny feel, and I wanted better handling and power. And a heated steering wheel. I have a BMW, and I do very much like most aspects of it. But I'm sure that in mass, you are on the mark with who will buy in at the entry price point.

I do wish it had the sport button to tune the timing etc for better performance. The 328i with the 4cy really came to life when that little magic button was pressed.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 528xi
What we liked most about the x1 was the spacious interior feel of the car. It looks small but feels just right when you are sitting in it.
We've had a number of BMW's - 3's, 5's, x5's, and I don't feel like I'm settling on a cheapo BMW with this one. It's a nice little package.
2003 330cic Jet Black / Natural Brown - retired
2001 X-5 3.0 Titanium Siver /Black - retired
BMW CCA Member
Old 11-24-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mismaloya View Post
It's a nice little package.
That's as good a description as I've heard.. To me, it is a car of many compromises. It is not the best anything, but perhaps, it is a very good everything.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Pretty much what edx1 said. We have been loyal BMW owners since we could drive. We had an older e46 that was 12 years old and we were outgrowing it. We started by looking at small suvs like nissan, mazda, and subarus this summer. We needed more room but also didn't want to kill the environment too much and wanted something we could take on dirt roads without being quite so worried about it bottoming out. I thought a BMW X1 was out but a hunch told me to look to see if there was a US delivery date yet. Turned out there was one delivered to our local dealer that day. We test drove it and were sold. I think the fact that it is the older 3 series chaise really helped as the x1 is pretty much a more spacy, slightly raised version of it.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by edx1 View Post
However if you're not looking for every latest feature or styling and want decent older 3 series performance (and some people like the performance and handling of the older 3 series more than the new 3 series) that has some performance loss due to its higher ride height but find an X3 too tall and wobbly then the X1 is actually a good option. I have to admit it's a small market for this car. It's basically people who want to save some money and own a bmw and don't care about newer 3 series and x3 features. There's also a very small number of e90/e93 owners that don't want the new f chasis and are considering the X1 since it's the last e series chasis car being sold.
The problem with the F chassis cars is the numb feeling electric power steering. However, the X1 is not the only E chassis car being sold. The X5 & X6 are E chassis cars as are the 1 & 3 series coupes and convertibles.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Well, I was looking for:

1) Practical family car
2) AWD
3) best possible fuel economy
4) fun to drive

I live in one of those parts of the country where nearly everyone drives a Subaru, and for good reason. So, given the above criteria, what else is there? Really, think about it.

Subaru Imprezza? The only option that gets better fuel economy than an X1: (36 mpg hwy), but is much smaller in cargo capacity (e.g., not good for dogs in the back), and is ridiculously underpowered.

Subaru Outback? Everything you need but nothing you want. It steers like a cow. It also only gets 30 mpg hwy. And, an Outback with lots of options is only marginally less expensive than a basic X1.

VW Golf TDI / Sportwagen TDI? Both perfect family cars that do everything well, are fun to drive, and have amazing fuel economy, but NO AWD option. The Golf R you say? Well, yes it has AWD but it is LOWERED and not really what you want on snow / dirt roads. Also, more expensive than a basic X1.

Mazda CX5? Better driving feel than a Subaru Outback, but also badly underpowered, and not as good fuel economy as the X1. It is a high-riding SUV and it suffers all of the problems that go with it.

If I missed one, please, let me know. The X1 was the only one to fit all the criteria.

Some people say that the X1 answers a question that no one asked, but I feel like BMW was the only company that got it. What if you need practicality and AWD but don't want to drive an SUV?

Last edited by one09jason; 11-24-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:26 AM

I was considering the Forester with it's HUGE sunroof, but it is a little "Old Maid"ish in the looks dept. They are unveiling a new one in 3 or 4 days. It looks more aggressive.

And also the new Subaru Crosstrek XV. But from what I've read, it is seriously underpowered. I believe it has 100 HP less than the X1. Of course it is $20k cheaper.

But I don't know how to describe it other than that Subaru's feel light and wispy. I can't believe they are anywhere near as safe in a collision. Any thoughts on that? Regarding gas mileage, I've heard the X1 is a bit of a fairy tale in that regard. I wonder what the actual would be for an 80% city driver.

Last edited by r0gue; 11-25-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:13 AM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
We have a 335i (N54 twin turbo) and a 128i (inline 6). We are expecting our first child and decided to get a more practical vehicle. My parents also have a F30 328i so I knew the new 28i vehicles are much more capable. My wife loves her 128i and we both feel the 335i is really too much power for us (enough to get into trouble).

The plan was originally to get a Range Rover Evoque. However, after reading reviews about our local Land Rover service departments and maintenance costs we couldn't leave BMW. The X3 was our next choice until we drove the X1. The X3 was truck like in comparison. The X1 had the same driving feel we were used to, my wife even preffered the xDrive without servotronic. Also, we didn't need all of the extra gadgets that were added to the F30 and new X3 (the power lift gate would have been nice, but no biggie).

We now have a 28i M Sport with Ultimate and Lighting on order. I only regret that they now restrict interior/exterior color options based on what line you order. They never used to do this and I'm not sure why a switch was made.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 sDrive (on order)
The X1 is the first BMW I ever loved at first sight. I never considered buying/driving a BMW. Not due to the price, but I haven't liked the look of any one I ever saw, except maybe for the funky little ones from the 60's. I like German cars, but for me that meant Audi and VW. If the new Passat hadn't morphed ino yet another Honda Accord look-alike I would have traded in my 08 for a 12. I probably fit the Subaru demographic, but it is so boring! My kids are old enough where I don't need the big SUV, but not yet to the point when I can get a 2 seater. So, that meant a sedan or sporty wagon. Nothing very interesting in either of those categories, until I saw the X1 online. Loved, drove it, really loved it! Fast, fierce, sporty, and unique. I don't care if it's the lowest end BMW. I love this car!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: soon to be X1
I know nobody wants the stigma of owning a bottom-feeder/ low rent BMW. But I'll admit- that is precisely what drew us to the BMW X1. I hadn't even considered BMW's before because I assumed it's out of our price range. We were actually looking at cars like the Mazda CX-5 and the Jetta Sportwagen, when we came across the X1. (We already have a Subaru Outback- otherwise we would definitely be cross-shopping that one too) The X1 is rated at 28mpg by the EPA, has a roomy and useable interior, and is way faster than the econo-class CUV's and wagons that we were looking at. It fits our needs, and we were drawn in by the X1's $31k starting price. I'm not going to apologize for getting a great deal and liking it. So here we are- a Valencia Orange s28i M-Sport on order!
Old 11-27-2012, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
see the other thread
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 11-27-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX3 View Post
see the other thread

I just noticed that today. To be fair, mine was first!
Old 02-09-2013, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I am on the precipice of ordering an Sdrive28 X-1. The only two serious alternatives are a 328i sedan or Ford Fusion Hybrid.

My hypothetical highly optioned X-1 and 328i are separated by roughly $7K. Not a fortune relatively speaking, but significant enough to tip the decision in favor of savings. Frankly, the specter of spending $50K on a 3-series does not comport well with alternative use of funds, ie early retirement!

I've owned BMW's as diverse as the M5, Z3 Coupe, and various 3-Series. Nearly 4 years ago I took a foray into the domestic US market and have driven a Fusion Hybrid with great overall satisfaction - so much so that a '13 version is being cross-shopped with BMW!

A recent test-drive comparo of the X-1 and 328i sedan brought the virtues of chassis dynamics and driving accolades to the forefront. The X-1 will do nicely, and the current engine coupled with 8-speed transmission brings palatable MPG.

Now it is just a matter of contemplation and second test-drive of each!
Old 02-11-2013, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive28i
All good thoughts, but let's look at MPG. I've the X1 xDrive28i and keep track at every fill-up. I don't use the vehicles "estimates", here's what I got using the tried and true arithmetic formula for MPG (combined city/hwy):

2/10/13: 22.66 MPG
2/5/13: 22.34
1/31/13: 21.13
1/25/13: 20.20
1/20/13: 23.22
1/16/13: 21.97

I'm puzzled by everyone else's much higher figures. I don't use ECO pro and I don't perform jack-rabbit starts.

Thanks, Vince.

Last edited by vbbuilt; 02-11-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbbuilt View Post
All good thoughts, but let's look at MPG. I've the X1 xDrive28i and keep track at every fill-up. I don't use the vehicles "estimates", here's what I got using the tried and true arithmetic formula for MPG (combined city/hwy):

2/10/13: 22.66 MPG
2/5/13: 22.34
1/31/13: 21.13
1/25/13: 20.20
1/20/13: 23.22
1/16/13: 21.97

I'm puzzled by everyone else's much higher figures. I don't use ECO pro and I don't perform jack-rabbit starts.

Thanks, Vince.
I've been getting similar mpg (around 22). I attribute it to 90% city driving and all the extra gadgets I have.

X1 xDrive28i
M-Sport
Ultimate Package
Lighting Package
Harman Kardon
Heated seats
Roof Rack

All these lower my mpg. However the same type of driving on my Audi A3 FWD, I would average about 20. So I am much happier with my X1.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:08 PM

I'm at 25 mpg.

Why X1? It has turned out to be the perfect choice for me. The size is great. Skis stuff, no problem. Bike, no problem. This weekend we were four people driving to the mountains with all our ski gear with no issues (thanks to the middle seat fold down).

The drive and handling are great. It's so much fun to drive. The basic sound system works great for me. over 250 songs on a small USB stick categorized into folders for easy navigation.

There are a few quarks, but none are show stoppers. The auto/start/stop is annoying and the shifting up and down is counter intuitive (up is down shifting). But both are small issues (the first one can be turned off by default by the dealer).

I have about 5k miles and I'm really enjoying the vehicle.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: RX-8
I think up is always downshifting in these auto manuals.

Not too sure since I drive a pure manual still.