Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW sDrive 28i X1
a couple of wonky questions for experienced X1 owners

OK I have had my X1 since Friday. I have some questions with probably easy answers that I am overlooking, for those who have had their X1's or other BMWs for some time...

1 When I turn the car on, the IDrive asks me to "accept" that I recognize that it is dangerous to drive when distracted, etc. So I have to push the IDrive control to get beyond that message. Once I ignored it and went to Media, and the message popped up again later.

Is that gonna be forever? Is there no way to disable that?

2 Is there any easy way to get the airbag notice thing out other than just tearing it? I tug at it but I don't want to tear it and leave fragments stuck in the aluminum trim.

3 What is the loose black piece in my trunk, about the size of a license plate? It's solid...is that a cover for the license when I want to conduct some nefarious business and not be identified from the rear?

4 How do you know you are getting real-time traffic? is that only for accident reporting? I thought I would see indications of traffic flow on major freeways, etc. But I noticed this morning that doesn't seem to be the case. Is it something I have to enable?

I love my X1 a little more each time I drive it...
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2012, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post

1 When I turn the car on, the IDrive asks me to "accept" that I recognize that it is dangerous to drive when distracted, etc. So I have to push the IDrive control to get beyond that message. Once I ignored it and went to Media, and the message popped up again later.

Is that gonna be forever? Is there no way to disable that?
I don't have an idrive but my mom does and hers goes off after a few seconds without accepting. Its weird that yours pops back up? Maybe others can answer you better.

3 What is the loose black piece in my trunk, about the size of a license plate? It's solid...is that a cover for the license when I want to conduct some nefarious business and not be identified from the rear?
Good idea though! Its to hold a front license plate on the car if needed/required.

Thats my input, hopefully others can help more but your license plate comment made me laugh.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
1. Ignore it and don't do anything. It will go away after the nav finishes booting.

2. No, it is required by law.

4. Go into the navigation settings and enable grey traffic map.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW sDrive 28i X1
Thanks all! I will try again to just ignore that message and see if it doesn't pop up again. As for the airbag sticker - really? I have to live with that dopey thing hanging there, because of some federal law? Dang! Gonna make me a libertarian...Are you sure it's not the case that the dealer can't remove it, but the owner can? Like that mattress sticker, "Do not remove...."
Old 11-27-2012, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 Sportline 28i
RE: air bag tag

When I picked up my ride in Roseville, CA the dealer had removed the hanging airbag tag - leaving small little chunks of white stuff under the trim (I too ordered the brushed aluminum) - tweezers used to remove.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
I guess its different than the sun visor warning labels on the e9x. Feel free to remove if you can.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
OH! that airbag thing! I thought you were referring to the light that is either on or off based on if there is a passenger. Our dealer took the tag off for us before we bought it. I'd just pull it out. I'm sure it will be fine.