Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Apay Kapoy

Mein Auto: 13 335i 02RSX5MT 06ML350
Here's another ATS vs 3 Series Comparison

Ezra Dyer pits Cadillac's ATS against its German target, the BMW 3-Series -- on BMW's home-away-from-home turf.

http://autos.yahoo.com/video/cadilla...143801898.html
My 1st BMW-bought fr inbound inventory: Munich 2013 F30 335i, RWD, Alpine White, Black Leather, M-Sport Line/Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 403M (Potenza S001 RFT 225/40, 255/35 R19), Sport auto w/paddle shifters, Heated front seats, Harman Kardon, Aluminum Hex Trim matte EB accent, Anthracite headliner
Std: Xenon Adaptive Headlights/Sunroof/Alarm
Mods: Tint/DIY lower intake grill guard/ASS recoded
25K mi Oct14
Hergestellt in Deutschland

Last edited by tim330i; 11-28-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Thanks. Just what we need to make this forum a more pleasant place to spend time.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 11-27-2012, 08:53 PM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
I'm in early, and I say it doesn't matter. The ATS target market is the BMW 3 series target market minus the people who just don't want a Cadillac, which leaves a smaller buyer group than BMW will worry about. They have a much larger problem with Audi.

GM is doing some great work with the Cadillac products right now. In my opinion, they should have rolled out a new brand marque for these very good cars, as the Cadillac name removes value from what they are trying to do in the market. Just sayin'.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:47 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Cadillac is a rebadged Chevy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 11-27-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
GM is doing some great work with the Cadillac products right now. In my opinion, they should have rolled out a new brand marque for these very good cars, as the Cadillac name removes value from what they are trying to do in the market. Just sayin'.
Very good point.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:06 AM

Mein Auto: boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
very good point.
+1
Old 11-28-2012, 03:10 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Quote:
I'm in early, and I say it doesn't matter. The ATS target market is the BMW 3 series target market minus the people who just don't want a Cadillac, which leaves a smaller buyer group than BMW will worry about. They have a much larger problem with Audi.

I completely agree with your first point regarding target market. The only cars my mother drove were Cadillacs...a new one every 2 years or so, but Cadillac wouldn't be my choice even though I respect very much what that company is doing with its vehicles. As to your second point, I don't think there's anything wrong with the Cadillac name. Cadillac and GM are very much a part of the fabric of America. It was GM and other manufacturers that provided jobs to masses of people, triggered gender and racial integration in the workplace, changed our society from agrarian to industrial, and created a middle class early in the last century. Cadillac engineered, built, and powered the Sherman tanks that helped defeat Japan and Germany in WWII. After that war, the company became one of the symbols of prosperity for this country. By the way, have you seen the Cadillac Ciel? http://www.coolhunting.com/design/cadillac-ciel.php I don't choose their cars because, right now, I prefer those of other companies. However, I think Cadillac still has a strong brand and that the company is making very competitive cars for the marketplace.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus

Last edited by Leslierc; 11-28-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:34 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i M-Sport
guys, I'm not an F30 owner but frequent this section (only to watch the BJ debates - keep em going they're great but c'mon, even I'm getting tired of seeing these Cadillac comparison threads. Move it to the general automotive forum.

as to the post above, sure Cadillac has its place in history and should be appreciated but BMW engines powered the Luftwaffe that bombed half of Britain but we buy their cars and then some. Speaks volumes to the respective products.

ok, I'll leave now and go back to the E39 forums but will be joining the F10 folks in a couple of months.

rock on
Old 11-28-2012, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: '13 328xi
"The ATS is the first Cadillac built specifically to take on the BMW 3 series". In other words, copy it and try to improve on it. And still, it comes up a little short. It's proactive vs reactive.....again. Sure the ATS is a good car, but it just doesn't inspire the passion. It's still missing the "It" factor that all copies lack.

Last edited by CE750Jockey; 11-28-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Thanks. Just what we need to make this forum a more pleasant place to spend time.
Yeah, and all over a car that no BMW owner would be caught dead in.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 11-28-2012, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
I'm in early, and I say it doesn't matter. The ATS target market is the BMW 3 series target market minus the people who just don't want a Cadillac, which leaves a smaller buyer group than BMW will worry about.
The market for people who don't want a BMW is also quite large. I know tons of people who'd never buy a BMW cause they don't want the a-hole stigma.

I haven't asked them if they'd buy a Cadillac though.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
you can put a cadillac emblem on a ferrari and it would still cary the stigma
Old 11-28-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE750Jockey View Post
"The ATS is the first Cadillac built specifically to take on the BMW 3 series". In other words, copy it and try to improve on it. And still, it comes up a little short. It's proactive vs reactive.....again.
It's like the Lexus IS300, designed for one reason, to copy the E36.

It failed cause it was a half-assed effort.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:57 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
As to your second point, I don't think there's anything wrong with the Cadillac name. Cadillac and GM are very much a part of the fabric of America. It was GM and other manufacturers that provided jobs to masses of people, triggered gender and racial integration in the workplace, changed our society from agrarian to industrial, and created a middle class early in the last century. Cadillac engineered, built, and powered the Sherman tanks that helped defeat Japan and Germany in WWII. After that war, the company became one of the symbols of prosperity for this country.
All true. It's the stuff Cadillac did in the 80s and 90s that I think shrinks the market.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
I don't know when some of you BMW fans will start to call the BMW own test driver an idiot, because even he seemed to agree the ATS 3.6, although not as good as the F30 335i in straight line performance, was better on the curves and at the corners.

One thing I found it alarming is, it actually proved BJ's point again, our own BMW test driver did not even know ATS existed, he had to Google it to find out

Last edited by dtc100; 11-28-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
I don't know when some of you BMW fans will start to call the BMW own test driver an idiot, because even he seemed to agree the ATS 3.6, although not as good as the F30 335i in straight line performance, was better on the curves and at the corners.
The BMW guy actually said the 335i had less body roll, and was the better performer overall. He certainly didn't say the ATS was better at anything, I didn't hear that.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
The BMW guy actually said the 335i had less body roll, and was the better performer overall. He certainly didn't say the ATS was better at anything, I didn't hear that.
dtc100 hears only what he wants to. He probably wishes he got the GS instead of his boat, i mean the 535i.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:52 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:

One thing I found it alarming is, it actually proved BJ's point again, our own BMW test driver did not even know ATS existed, he had to Google it to find out
I think you need to watch the video again. He didn't agree the ATS was better in the curves. He actually said the 335i had less body roll and a firmer suspension. He didn't really give the ATS anything. I caught that Google thing, too. I don't think it's true. I hope not.

This was far, far from an unbiased "review". They referred to Chris Hennecy as a current or former BMW owner (I also read the print version of the review), a member of the BMW CCA, and an SCCA member as if his profession is racing. One small detail they left out is that he is a little more than just a member of the BMW CCA. He is the head of BMW CCA marketing. His profession isn't racing. He has a master's degree in marketing and that is his profession.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 11-28-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I think you need to watch the video again. He didn't agree the ATS was better in the curves. He actually said the 335i had less body roll and a firmer suspension. He didn't really give the ATS anything. I caught that Google thing, too. I don't think it's true. I hope not.

This was far, far from an unbiased "review". They referred to Chris Hennecy as a current or former BMW owner (I also read the print version of the review), a member of the BMW CCA, and an SCCA member as if his profession is racing. One small detail they left out is that he is a little more than just a member of the BMW CCA. He is the head of BMW CCA marketing. His profession isn't racing. He has a master's degree in marketing and that is his profession.
I certainly heard his comment about the 335i having firmer suspension and less body roll, I was very surprised since it went against pretty much all other reviews, and of my own back to back test drives. The difference may be the test track vs. back roads. They probably did not know the ATS also had a sport mode, first Google attempt usually comes a little short on the information, especially when Chris' more familiar GM name was that of the Malibu

However the conclusion of the review, as that Yahoo reviewer said, was that the ATS was better at the curves, although not at straight, therefore I assumed the BMW guy seemed to agree (he certainly nodded when the guy was talking). Having provided all the input to that Yahoo reviewer, I think he would have objected to that conclusion had he disagreed.

Clearly having more fun at the curves and corners was why both of them agreed, although the ATS came a bit short, it was a good first attempt.

Last edited by dtc100; 11-28-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I certainly heard his comment about the 335i having firmer suspension and less body roll, I was very surprised since it went against pretty much all other reviews, and of my own back to back test drives. However the conclusion of the review, as that Yahoo reviewer said, was that the ATS was better at the curves, although not at straight, therefore I assumed the BMW guy seemed to agree. Having provided all the input to that Yahoo reviewer, I think he would have objected to that conclusion had he disagreed.

Clearly having more fun at the curves and corners was why both of them agreed, although the ATS came a bit short, it was a good first attempt.
I didn't hear that - at best the BMW said it was a good effort, he never said it was more fun or better at anything.

What do you expect him to say if he works for BMW?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
I didn't hear that - at best the BMW said it was a good effort, he never said it was more fun or better at anything.

Just to be clear - he doesn't work for BMW. He works for BMW CCA, which is an independent organization. They do drink the BMW kool aid, but it is not at all uncommon for their writers to also voice criticism of BMW. However, he is not a writer. He is the marketing guy.

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-28-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:

The Yahoo guy said the ATS was more fun on the curves and at the corners, Chris sat in the ATS while he had some fun playing, they then stepped out of the ATS and agreed on something. To me it says something. It is precisely because I did not expect much from Chris, his nod seemed to me more than what he admitted. Chris did say the ATS drove like E46. I don't know what he thinks about the E46, I assumed he liked E46.

Last edited by dtc100; 11-28-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
If the ATS had been available in the market when I ordered my F30 I would have at least considered it.

I actually believe that GM engineers very good vehicles and the work being done at Cadillac is impressive.

My biggest gripe with Caddy is the 'old man' image as well as the interior that looks like it belongs in a Neon, not a $45K+ luxury sedan.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
The Yahoo guy said the ATS was more fun on the curves and at the corners, Chris sat in the ATS while he had some fun playing, they then stepped out of the ATS and agreed on something. To me it says something. It is precisely because I did not expect much from Chris, his nod seemed to me more than what he admitted. Chris did say the ATS drove like E46. I don't know what he thinks about the E46, I assumed he liked E46.
That wasn't Chris comparing the ATS to the E46. That was the reviewer. Chris, in fact, brought it back to the F30 335i.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
This is getting ridiculous now. It's as if the 3 series is the ONLY car that this ATS is even comparable to. I remember when the G37 coupe came out, it wasn't this bad. These journalists make GM seem as if they are desparate. All this is doing is making the 3 series look that much better. The only car in this segment any car company has to make a car better than is the 3 series. Really? This ATS wil be forgotten in 2 years.