Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-16-2012, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 F10 535i Msport
Dealer wants wipe out my coded firmwares

I am due for the 15K miles oil services next week. Call the dealer up for an appointment this morning. I've also asked dealer to re-program the Auto Start/Stop button at the same time. SA is telling me the only way to re-program this is to refresh the entire firmwares and all the nicely coded functions I have will be wipe out! WHAT? Is this true?

Jim
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2012, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by liao420 View Post
I am due for the 15K miles oil services next week. Call the dealer up for an appointment this morning. I've also asked dealer to re-program the Auto Start/Stop button at the same time. SA is telling me the only way to re-program this is to refresh the entire firmwares and all the nicely coded functions I have will be wipe out! WHAT? Is this true?

Jim
BS
Old 11-16-2012, 12:55 PM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
I bet these dealers all plug the car in and run updates from some central computer over a slow connection. Only reason why it takes them 4+ hrs to take something us nerds with laptops can do in 20 min. I think I read on a post here that is exactly what they do.
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Old 11-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: See Sig
While I don't know it for a fact, it actually sounds true and honestly I can understand it from a dealer/BMW standpoint. While I don't like it myself, I can see why they would want things back to the factory settings.
2013 BMW 1600 GT---2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000---2012 Ducati Panigale
Old 11-16-2012, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
Perhaps. When I have the Global Update done on my car I lost all of the coding that had been done to it. Also, my TPMS had been programed to give me the pressures and temps. Once the update was done I could no longer get this information when I had it coded. Just the dreaded ---. If I had it to do over again, I would have lived without the update.

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, Tint - 5% Rear, 35% Front & 50% Windshield - BlackVue DR500GW Dash Cam, Blendmount for Valentine One

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)
Old 11-16-2012, 01:58 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
I think this is a well known fact that reflashing the firmware wipes out the coding changes. The coding is not software programs running on an OS. They are OS settings. So if you wipe the OS and replace it, the coding goes away. There is no way to repair the firmware, only to replace it.

This is why if you are coding, you should either do it yourself and keep a log, or if you pay someone else to code, see if you can get a lifetime coding arrangement for the duration you own the car.

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 AM
OOO

Mein Auto: E90 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by liao420 View Post

Jim
Just have the person who coded your vehicle, code the Auto start/stop off by default. They are unwilling to do this for you?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:08 AM

A couple of comments. One is that the way the dealer/factory ECU updates work is that they read the VIN number of your car and the ECU (using "ECU" as a general term btw) is updated to the specs of you particular car - including any optional equipment it may have, and sets to the proper values for the way your car left the factory plus updates. That's why it kills anything has been coded differently than the factory settings.

Second, it's easy for some folks to say "just have your car coded..." or "have whoever coded your car...." etc do this or that. Don't forget that for most of us we have had someone we didn't even know from the forum take time off there weekend to drive across town to meet up with us and do it as a favor. I don't know of anyone in Houston that does it as a business that I can just call up and schedule and appointment. And I'm only fair at downloading software to my $500 computer. I damn sure don't want to risk downloading myself to a $75,000 car.

Last edited by jjsC6; 11-19-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:21 AM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
A couple of comments. One is that the way the dealer/factory ECU updates work is that they read the VIN number of your car and the ECU (using "ECU" as a general term btw) is updated to the specs of you particular car - including any optional equipment it may have, and sets to the proper values for the way your car left the factory plus updates. That's why it kills anything has been coded differently than the factory settings.

Second, it's easy for some folks to say "just have your car coded..." or "have whoever coded your car...." etc do this or that. Don't forget that for most of us we have had someone we didn't even know from the forum take time off there weekend to drive across town to meet up with us and do it as a favor. I don't know of anyone in Houston that does it as a business that I can just call up and schedule and appointment. And I'm only fair at downloading software to my $500 computer. I damn sure don't want to risk downloading myself to a $75,000 car.
Don't worry.

Your car isn't worth $75,000 anymore.

Anyway, that is why I keep everything stock, and always have. I just don't mess with this stuff, then possibly have things go wrong. Why risk it just to know my tire pressure number. I can get my a$$ out of the car and put a gauge on it.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:34 AM
OOO

Mein Auto: E90 335i
I think MOST is an exaggeration, it seems that more and more people are doing it themselves due to the user friendly interface of ESYS.

There may/may not be any people/shops in the Houston area that run a business, but there are plenty of options out there, including remote options.

I can understand that there are some who don't want to do this for themselves (regardless of how simple and straightforward it may be-purely opinion), but you make it seem like it is the end of the world. Also, I'm sure the OP had no problem finding someone in SoCal to code his car (as there are people/shops up and down SoCal). To have the auto start/stop coded would be a 5 minute procedure, that's why I suggested going back to the person that coded his vehicle to begin with.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:

I coded it once, and I'll code it again if you need it, but next time will have to be my side of town. Just shoot me a PM.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 11-27-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
I coded it once, and I'll code it again if you need it, but next time will have to be my side of town. Just shoot me a PM.
Thanks Shawn. And yes, I'd go to any side of town and buy you lunch. Hopefully I won't need it though.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
I did the DVD-in-motion thing a week after I bought the car which in addition to DVD's playing while moving, removed the warning at start-up and allows me to program NAV while moving and read the manual. I was going to ask my dealer to kill the ASS next time in. It would suck to lose these other settings. No way would they re-enable DVD in motion.

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li
Old 11-28-2012, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Thanks Shawn. And yes, I'd go to any side of town and buy you lunch. Hopefully I won't need it though.
Ok brother. Just let me know.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 11-29-2012, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
I live in Phila. Pa. is there anyone in my area doing the coding?