Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-28-2012, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 540i 6sp
540i electrical issue - source for wiring diagrams?

I'm having a problem, where intermittently, the inside turn signal indicators stop working (dash light and sound), the actual turn signals continue to work.

When the indicators stop working, the high beam indicator and the seat belt warning indicator doesn't work (maybe other stuff?). The gauges, etc continue to work as normal.

I have asked about this before, but no one else seems to have any ideas.

Where is a good source for E39 wiring diagrams? I have a feeling that I must have a bad ground, or a connector that all of these things run through, but I'd like to get a better idea before I start tearing stuff apart.

John S.
'98 540i 6-speed.
Ads by Google
Old 12-18-2012, 10:49 AM

Nobody seems to have any knowledge of this issue, so I'll have to just dig in...

One more symptom... There have been times that the turn signal indicators continue to flash, even if the switch is in the middle and the outside turn signals are NOT flashing.

This is all intermittent, so it's tough to deal with.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Have you tried the "visor trick"?
Another place to look for is under the passenger carpet, if you had some water ingress.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 12-18-2012, 12:02 PM

I'll give a look at the passenger side carpet... that doesn't necessarily sound like fun, though...

I have tried the visor trick, but that appears to be due to some other issue. (ignition switch related).
Old 12-19-2012, 06:21 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by stecz View Post
Where is a good source for E39 wiring diagrams?
Typing /wiring diagram F3 in the bestlinks, I found these which may help:
- Where to find an E39 wiring diagram specific to your model (1) (2) (3) (4) & understanding European wiring diagrams (pdf) & where to find all E39 fuse boxes (1) (2) & how to find the elusive front passenger seat undercarpet fuse panel (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need