Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550i
Generating Routes in Google Maps for uploading into your BMW Nav System

Google Maps is a better and more efficient tool to generate routes than the BMW Navigation System. You have the flexibility to change routes as you wish and select specific roads from point A to point B. The attached manual (and program) describes how you can generate trip files that can be imported into your BMW Nav system. This is possible thanks to the great programing work of our fellow fester, Aussie40d, from the E70 forum. Enjoy.

JEG23

Google Maps to BMW Nav.pdf

Convert Google Maps and Google Earth to BMW V1.0.3.xlsm.pdf

Remove .pdf extension

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	350720

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	350721

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	350722

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	350723

Last edited by JEG23; 01-23-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-25-2012, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEG23 View Post
Google Maps is a better and more efficient tool to generate routes than the BMW Navigation System. You have the flexibility to change routes as you wish and select specific roads from point A to point B. The attached manual (and program) describes how you can generate trip files that can be imported into your BMW NAv system. This is possible thanks to the great programing work of our fellow fester, Aussie40d, from the E70 forum. Enjoy.

JEG23

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|35...v.pdf|1505|0|0

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|67...3.xlsm|166|0|0

Attachment 350720

Attachment 350721

Attachment 350722

Attachment 350723
Awesome work Juan!

I look forward to seeing you solve the POI import next.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - 2TB SAT / 6WB MFID Cluster / 4U1 Ceramic Controls / 6NR BMW Apps / Rear Fog Lights / Cyba Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips
Old 11-25-2012, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
I've verified that this works on an 2012 F30.

Are there any plans on making this work with more than 1 destination? I created a 3 stop trip in google maps, but when I imported the trip, only the start and first destination were imported. Sheet 2 (temp worksheet?) shows all destinations (read from the KML), but they don't seem to appear in the final XML.

Also, I tried to look at the VBA code, but it's password protected. Is there a reason for that?

Thanks for the hard work on this!! I had tried previously to do just this kind of thing, but ran out of time.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:42 PM

@FrogmanF30,

Thanks.

I suppose that is the next stage of this, capability for multiple destinations.
PM me for details.

JEG23
Old 11-27-2012, 10:29 PM

Mein Auto: BMW F10 535i M-Sport
Juan, thank you for this great tool... It's working great here in Malaysia... Simple tool, yet very useful! Thank you, Sir.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carina77 View Post
Juan, thank you for this great tool... It's working great here in Malaysia... Simple tool, yet very useful! Thank you, Sir.
Thanks for the feedback! Did you car already had the "import" feature active? Is that capability only removed in the US?

JEG23
Old 11-28-2012, 10:22 AM

@Jeg, did you also look at NAVI_DEST_IMPORT, which is supposedly "Asia Only"?

I am wondering if we can import an address from USB, similar to how Google Sen-To-Car works, and then Navigate to that address.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - 2TB SAT / 6WB MFID Cluster / 4U1 Ceramic Controls / 6NR BMW Apps / Rear Fog Lights / Cyba Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips
Old 11-28-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
@Jeg, did you also look at NAVI_DEST_IMPORT, which is supposedly "Asia Only"?

I am wondering if we can import an address from USB, similar to how Google Sen-To-Car works, and then Navigate to that address.
Shawn,

I have not tried this yet (maybe somebody can beat me to it before I get home), but if you only input a destination in Google (not a point A and a point B), save it to "Maps" and then generate the KML file, it will also be processed by the program and generate a one point place that could probably can be imported via "Import Trips" without any additional changes to the car coding.

It is of course easier to do this via the Google “send to car” function, but it might be convenient of you want to upload multiple destinations in one shot.

If that does not work I will try the "Asia Only" code that you suggest.

JEG23
Old 11-28-2012, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
I had to code NAVI_TRIP_IMPORT before I could import a trip. The comments for this variable do not indicate any regional restrictions. Only the NAVI_DEST_IMPORT/EXPORT say Asia only.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogmanF30 View Post
I had to code NAVI_TRIP_IMPORT before I could import a trip. The comments for this variable do not indicate any regional restrictions. Only the NAVI_DEST_IMPORT/EXPORT say Asia only.
Thanks FrogmanF30.

I expected that since you are in the US. Our cars do not have the "trip import" function on by default. In most of Europe (I think) and for example in Australia, this function is activated.

I think in some Asian countries (please let me know otherwise), maybe they cannot do the "Google Send to the car" by default.

Have you tried to generate a KML file with only one point and then import that via the "trip import" feature? If not I will try this tonight. In addition to generating trips via Google Maps, it would be useful to have multiple destinations in an USB that can be easily imported to the car.

If that does not work then we should try (as Shawn suggests) the "Asia only" destination code and see if another import menu item shows up.

JEG23

Last edited by JEG23; 11-28-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Shawn,

I have not tried this yet (maybe somebody can beat me to it before I get home), but if you only input a destination in Google (not a point A and a point B), save it to "Maps" and then generate the KML file, it will also be processed by the program and generate a one point place that could probably can be imported via "Import Trips" without any additional changes to the car coding.

It is of course easier to do this via the Google “send to car” function, but it might be convenient of you want to upload multiple destinations in one shot.

If that does not work I will try the "Asia Only" code that you suggest.

JEG23
Yes, but with a single destination point, and NAVI_TRIP_IMPORT, you are still using Google Maps for Routing.

The Google Send-To-Car, and NAVI_DEST_IMPORT would instead use the built in BMW Navigation for Routing. Since Google Send-To-Car requires a BMW Assist account, many users can not use it, so I was thinking instead they could maybe use NAVI_DEST_IMPORT in its place, that is if it is possible for it to work on non-Asian vehicles despite what it says.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Yes, but with a single destination point, and NAVI_TRIP_IMPORT, you are still using Google Maps for Routing.

The Google Send-To-Car, and NAVI_DEST_IMPORT would instead use the built in BMW Navigation for Routing. Since Google Send-To-Car requires a BMW Assist account, many users can not use it, so I was thinking instead they could maybe use NAVI_DEST_IMPORT in its place, that is if it is possible for it to work on non-Asian vehicles despite what it says.
Shawn,

Yes I see your point. On the other hand, with a single destination, I do not think (I am speaking out of ignorance here since I cannot test that at the moment) there is technically no routing, just a destination.
I do not know if "trip import" will work with that file. If it does, then the NAVI_DEST_IMPORT is not necessary, otherwise it surely is worth trying it.

JEG23
Old 11-28-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Shawn,

Yes I see your point. On the other hand, with a single destination, I do not think (I am speaking out of ignorance here since I cannot test that at the moment) there is technically no routing, just a destination.
I do not know if "trip import" will work with that file. If it does, then the NAVI_DEST_IMPORT is not necessary, otherwise it surely is worth trying it.

JEG23
Agreed.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:56 AM
The One who Drives.

Mein Auto: 11 f25 n55/09 Jetta TDI
Awesome tool, thanks. Please keep us updated in this thread as I do not frequent a E70 forums.

Trips and Pieces - My new blog for Travelers by Travelers!
Personal Euro Delivery Blog

My, somewhat outdated, BMW Euro Delivery of 2009 blog with pics!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW F10 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback! Did you car already had the "import" feature active? Is that capability only removed in the US?

JEG23
Yes, it has the feature... But, mine is a UK spec'd car... So, I'm not sure whether a Malaysian spec'd car has this as standard...
Old 01-22-2013, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3 Sedan
I can confirm that this works for an E90 also. When I did European Delivery I took a USB drive with specific routes on it in hopes the feature would work (some had reported success on an ED vehicle and some did not). The option to import was not even in the menu (good thing I had a backup plan). Over the weekend I used this thread and found NAVI_TRIP_IMPORT in CIC, made it aktiv, saved it back, and now I have the import from USB option in the nav. I'll definitely be taking my laptop with me on the next ED trip to enable this.

It may already be known that it works for E Series cars but in case someone searches and comes across this thread I thought I'd add the info.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlosso View Post
I can confirm that this works for an E90 also. When I did European Delivery I took a USB drive with specific routes on it in hopes the feature would work (some had reported success on an ED vehicle and some did not). The option to import was not even in the menu (good thing I had a backup plan). Over the weekend I used this thread and found NAVI_TRIP_IMPORT in CIC, made it aktiv, saved it back, and now I have the import from USB option in the nav. I'll definitely be taking my laptop with me on the next ED trip to enable this.

It may already be known that it works for E Series cars but in case someone searches and comes across this thread I thought I'd add the info.
Merlosso,

Thanks for letting us know it also works for the E90. I find it myself very useful. The BMW navigation system likes to send via routes that I do not like. This lets me decide how I want to get to my destination.

JEG23
Old 01-23-2013, 12:25 AM

Mein Auto: 520d f10
Check this (Europe):

https://www.bmw-routes.com/uk/en/plan-routes/index.jsp

Last edited by Mobileum; 01-23-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobileum View Post
Yes, many of us are aware of that nice tool, but unfortunately it only works in Europe.

JEG23
Old 01-23-2013, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 528i M-Sport
won't let me download the pdf in the first post, is link dead?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losco View Post
won't let me download the pdf in the first post, is link dead?
Losco,

Try it now. Remember to remove the .pdf extension from the .xlsm file.

JEG23
Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 528i M-Sport
Quote:
Losco,

Try it now. Remember to remove the .pdf extension from the .xlsm file.

JEG23
Thanks, download worked, but realized didn't have excel on this PC lol. will test it tomorrow and see if it works on japanese nav too.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: F11
Check this

Quote:
Yes, many of us are aware of that nice tool, but unfortunately it only works in Europe.

JEG23
There is another possibility to make multi destination trips with TyreToTravel.com based on googlemaps. With the free Basic Tyre programm, it allows to plan trips and safe it in the BMW format tar.gz to the desktop. From there you pack it into a BMWData structure and youre able to upload it to the navi prof, where you have the possible upload via Navigation--saved trips--Import from USB etc

Structure like: ---- is the folderstructure, : is the file to be placed in folderstructure, usbstick ist your USB Stick
Usbstick: mytrip.zip
Usbstick----BMWData----Nav: mytrip.tar.gz
Usbstick----BMWData----Navigation----Routes: mytrip.tar.gz

hint: on my F11 build in 9/2011 (German Version) it works. Mytrip.zip: pack the entire structure above in a named zip file named exactly like the tar.gz, here mytrip.zip and put it in the rootfolder of your USB Stick. According to many posts, the folderstructure BMWData/Nav should do the trick, but with the mentioned bmwroutes.com method and saving it to Desktop it creates the above structure.

Try if that would work for US purposes as well!

Cheers EB
Old 02-20-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb64 View Post
There is another possibility to make multi destination trips with TyreToTravel.com based on googlemaps. With the free Basic Tyre programm, it allows to plan trips and safe it in the BMW format tar.gz to the desktop. From there you pack it into a BMWData structure and youre able to upload it to the navi prof, where you have the possible upload via Navigation--saved trips--Import from USB etc

Structure like: ---- is the folderstructure, : is the file to be placed in folderstructure, usbstick ist your USB Stick

hint: on my F11 build in 9/2011 (German Version) it works. Mytrip.zip: pack the entire structure above in a named zip file named exactly like the tar.gz, here mytrip.zip and put it in the rootfolder of your USB Stick. According to many posts, the folderstructure BMWData/Nav should do the trick, but with the mentioned bmwroutes.com method and saving it to Desktop it creates the above structure.

Cheers EB
Good stuff EB. Thanks.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb64 View Post

Cheers EB
EB,

This works great in the US for the F10. Fantastic work!

JEG23