Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 11-28-2012, 12:51 PM
voip-ninja's Avatar
voip-ninja voip-ninja is offline
Swedish Murder Machine
Location: Highlands Ranch CO
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,886
Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
The mileage sucked on the E90 loaners I've driven, like worse than my 330i despite being slower. I think BMW did what they had to do, leapfrog to the front of the class with mpg and power in the base 3 series. Can't think of a better example of BMW being a top engine maker.

Anyone complaining about sound can buy the 335i.
Or put a fart can on it.



I've seen people claim that the noise the engine makes is something like 90% of driving enjoyment. To those people I say, learn to drive.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 11-28-2012, 12:52 PM
justinnum1's Avatar
justinnum1 justinnum1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,732
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
The 2011 528 N52 without direct injection with 8AT, 22 & 32. The 2013 528 N20 with direct injection with 8AT, 24 & 34. 2011 328 N52 without direct injection with 6AT, 18 & 28. 4 mpg better on both ratings for the 2011 528, no difference except the transmission.
ofcourse the ZF8 is going to better than the ZF6 in the same car/engine. But a ZF8 n20 will be better MPG than a N52 ZF8. there is no debate there, you just posted the facts lol

You said the improved fuel economy was a result of the ZF8 and not the N20 and thats simply not true. its a result of both, just look at the facts you posted

any assumption on your part is not considered fact, and thus should not even be mentioned in this conversation. Just stick to the facts that we have.
__________________
F30 335 Estoril Blue Msport with performance exhasut and black grilles

Last edited by justinnum1; 11-28-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 11-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Chris90's Avatar
Chris90 Chris90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 13,796
Mein Auto: '04 330i
2011 328i manual = 18/28
2013 328i manual = 22/32

Maybe that's a good indication of the benefit of the N20, plus stop/start etc.
__________________
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice." - Cherokee Expression
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 11-28-2012, 01:14 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 14,868
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
ofcourse the ZF8 is going to better than the ZF6 in the same car/engine. But a ZF8 n20 will be better MPG than a N52 ZF8. there is no debate there, you just posted the facts lol

You said the improved fuel economy was a result of the ZF8 and not the N20 and thats simply not true. its a result of both, just look at the facts you posted

any assumption on your part is not considered fact, and thus should not even be mentioned in this conversation. Just stick to the facts that we have.
The fact of the matter is that WAY more of the improvement in the fuel economy ratings for the F30 is due to the 8AT. The ratings for the 2013 528 are 24 & 34. For the 328 they are 23 & 33, the exact same ratings the 335 achieves.
__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 11-28-2012, 01:27 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 14,868
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
2011 328i manual = 18/28
2013 328i manual = 22/32

Maybe that's a good indication of the benefit of the N20, plus stop/start etc.
Oh, yes, I forgot about the F30's start/stop advantage, which they say adds 1 mpg to the ratings it gets.

And, yes, this is a good example of how much more you get from a four paired to a manual transmission than paired to an automatic.

Interesting too is that the mileage goes the other way when you pair the manual with the six. Down to 20 & 30.



This is also a pretty clear indication that we have the N20 here in the U.S. because it was a money saver for BMW. Four bangers with manuals are the norm in Europe and it was much easier for BMW to ship this new motor over here than R&D a new, smaller inline six for the U.S. market. Add that to the fact that Audi already was only offering a four in the A4 and Merc was also moving to a four banger in the C and it was the perfect storm.

However, all of that does not change the fact that, contrary to popular argument, BMW did not have no choice other than a four to meet CAFE requirements. If they had wanted to they could have done it with another inline six. But, as is clearly indicated, most U.S. consumers don't give a rat's ass.
__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-28-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 11-28-2012, 01:27 PM
justinnum1's Avatar
justinnum1 justinnum1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,732
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
The fact of the matter is that WAY more of the improvement in the fuel economy ratings for the F30 is due to the 8AT. The ratings for the 2013 528 are 24 & 34. For the 328 they are 23 & 33, the exact same ratings the 335 achieves.
I dont think anyone really believes the 528 gets better mpg than the 328, especially when the 528 is 400lbs heavier.

I have had 528 loaners(n20+zf8) and the best i could get was 35mpg avg on my commute to work. i got 39mpg in the n20 and am getting 37mpg in the N55
__________________
F30 335 Estoril Blue Msport with performance exhasut and black grilles
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 11-28-2012, 01:32 PM
elistan elistan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Longmont, CO
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 339
Mein Auto: F30 328i, AP1 S2000
.

Last edited by elistan; 11-28-2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: too slow :)
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 11-28-2012, 01:43 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 14,868
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
I dont think anyone really believes the 528 gets better mpg than the 328, especially when the 528 is 400lbs heavier.
No, I don't believe that. But, you wanted facts so I posted BMW's own EPA numbers. The bigger point is the small difference between the N20 numbers and the N55 numbers. That's one of the main reasons I maintain BMW could have done just as well with a smaller displacement turbo inline six if they had wanted to.


Another issue that I'll mention, but won't go with any further is that a four cylinder motor works harder than a six cylinder motor to make the same power. A 2.0 liter six would experience less stress than the 2.0 liter four making the same power.
__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-28-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 11-28-2012, 01:50 PM
justinnum1's Avatar
justinnum1 justinnum1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,732
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
No, I don't believe that. But, you wanted facts so I posted BMW's own EPA numbers. The bigger point is the small difference between the N20 numbers and the N55 numbers. That's one of the main reasons I maintain BMW could have done just as well with a smaller displacement turbo inline six if they had wanted to.
Thanks for posting those facts, i get your point. For the record i dont believe those numbers, only because i personally have achieved different numbers.

The ZF8 is the best auto out right now. And the N20 is the best turbo 4 from germany.
__________________
F30 335 Estoril Blue Msport with performance exhasut and black grilles
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 11-28-2012, 02:05 PM
shicobico shicobico is offline
'12 6MT ZCP e92 M3
Location: Northeast
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 58
Mein Auto: '12 6MT ZCP e92 M3
You guys need to quiet it down in here. THIS is why we can't have nice guests over. Poor OP. All he wanted was to share some fun and excitement. You guys sobered him right up.

As I was saying OP, welcome to the (sometimes obnoxious) BMW family.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 11-28-2012, 02:08 PM
voip-ninja's Avatar
voip-ninja voip-ninja is offline
Swedish Murder Machine
Location: Highlands Ranch CO
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,886
Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post

However, all of that does not change the fact that, contrary to popular argument, BMW did not have no choice other than a four to meet CAFE requirements. If they had wanted to they could have done it with another inline six. But, as is clearly indicated, most U.S. consumers don't give a rat's ass.
Again, you seem to be hung up on number of cylinders or believing that you are more knowledgeable or make better decisions than BMWs engineers and marketing people.

BMW as you point out has a LOT of experience with 4-cylinder engines in Europe and the acceptance of these engines has improved dramatically in the US over the past decade with rising fuel prices as well as performance notions being trumped by reality when smaller turbo charged 4-cylinder engines often perform as well or better than bigger 6-cylinder variants while returning better fuel economy.

I would say that your argument that BMW coulda/shoulda/woulda made a 6 cylinder turbo charged engine is an emotional one.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 11-28-2012, 02:09 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 14,868
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by otonimus View Post
F30 Sport Line: Test drove it, fell in love, bought it. Never owned a 3 before. Drove a few over the years, but never enough to really know them.

Therefore I'm not burdened with:

"The steering isn't responsive enough. Corners like a 73 Lincoln Town Car."

"Car is HUGE now!!! Why did they make it so big?! Handles like a wounded cow."

"Now it's a big fat luxury car for fat naive Americans. It's completely ruined."

"I can't believe they put a 4-cylinder turbo in it!!!!... ARRRRRRGH!!!!"... chick-clack... BLAM!!!... thud

"BMW WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!"

...

...

...


I love this fricking car. Wouldn't change a thing. Ignorance is bliss I guess.



(This is all in good fun folks. Much respect to the inline 6 and its loyal fans)
OK. Let's get this thread back on track!

BMW has been headed down the crapper ever since they went soft with the E21 after the 2002. They just lost their way.....40 years now, wandering in the desert!
__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-29-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 11-28-2012, 02:32 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,531
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by shicobico View Post
You guys need to quiet it down in here. THIS is why we can't have nice guests over. Poor OP. All he wanted was to share some fun and excitement. You guys sobered him right up.

As I was saying OP, welcome to the (sometimes obnoxious) BMW family.
We can't have "Nice guests over"?

It's the E90 and E46 interlopers that are causing this forum to be a battlezone. For reasons unknown, these older BMW owners who supposedly have such vastly superior cars than ours feel the need to invade every thread, tell us how stupid we are, tell us a Cadillac is sportier, tell us we're driving a German Lexus. Why they don't stick to their forums where they can be bathed in the glory of owning an E46 or E90 is beyond me.

When it gets to the point where F30 owners and newbs are feeling intimidated and unwelcome, something has to change.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 11-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Chris90's Avatar
Chris90 Chris90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 13,796
Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
However, all of that does not change the fact that, contrary to popular argument, BMW did not have no choice other than a four to meet CAFE requirements. If they had wanted to they could have done it with another inline six. But, as is clearly indicated, most U.S. consumers don't give a rat's ass.
That's asking a lot, since the 328i also has to be several thousand cheaper than a 335i, which may not have been possible with a small inline six turbo. Plus some weight savings with a four.
__________________
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice." - Cherokee Expression
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 11-28-2012, 02:59 PM
Chris90's Avatar
Chris90 Chris90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 13,796
Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
We can't have "Nice guests over"?

It's the E90 and E46 interlopers that are causing this forum to be a battlezone. For reasons unknown, these older BMW owners who supposedly have such vastly superior cars than ours feel the need to invade every thread, tell us how stupid we are, tell us a Cadillac is sportier, tell us we're driving a German Lexus. Why they don't stick to their forums where they can be bathed in the glory of owning an E46 or E90 is beyond me.

When it gets to the point where F30 owners and newbs are feeling intimidated and unwelcome, something has to change.

BJ
We were here long before you, and will probably still be here when you've decided your F30 is too stiff and you trade up to a Rolls.

If you want to get along with BMW enthusiasts, stop telling them their 2 year old cars are junk.
__________________
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice." - Cherokee Expression
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 11-29-2012, 06:37 AM
otonimus otonimus is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Central Falls, RI
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 143
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by shicobico View Post
You guys need to quiet it down in here. THIS is why we can't have nice guests over. Poor OP. All he wanted was to share some fun and excitement. You guys sobered him right up.

As I was saying OP, welcome to the (sometimes obnoxious) BMW family.
Thanks!

But this is really nothing... I've spent a lot of time in car audio forums like DIYMA... had to leave because of all the 20-year-old idiots who spend every paycheck on subwoofers and ground effect kits for their honda civics, and feel compelled to constantly say: "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG, NOOB. SUFFER MY CHILDISH INSULTS!"... now THAT is a troll fest. This is Masterpiece Theater in comparison.

I'm actually enjoying the discussion... at least it's based on something worth discussing, and not just bitter fanboy crap... let's keep it that way...

Don't know about the automatics, but I know for a fact that my F30 MT is getting significantly better gas mileage than the 1999 A4 2.8 and 2004 Mazda 6s (3.0 liter) I used to own, both V6 MT's... I also know it does a lot better than my friend's 2000 Z3 (automatic)
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 11-29-2012, 06:50 AM
otonimus otonimus is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Central Falls, RI
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 143
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
If you want to get along with BMW enthusiasts, stop telling them their 2 year old cars are junk.
+1

They're all awesome cars.

I still miss the V6's I used to own, and appreciate the I6's I've driven. There is something about the linear delivery of a 6 cylinder that I don't know if a turbo 4 will ever be able to emulate.

Are the 4-bangers faster? Dollar for dollar, yes. And it is my understanding that they get better gas mileage unless you really pound them hard (I could be wrong on that point, but I don't think so)...

But still... there is something about a good 6... my Mazda 6s 3.0 had a heck on an engine, particularly after the intake/software kit I added (real deal, not some generic K&N kit)... that thing just PULLED... faster than the N20? Certainly not... but... yeah... just something very nice about a 6 cylinder.

So do I regret getting the F30? I did consider getting a 2011 328i... not a chance

So much respect to ALL 3's... I dig every last one of them, going all the way back to a friend's '86 M3. Wow that car was fun.

Last edited by otonimus; 11-29-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 11-29-2012, 09:45 AM
av98's Avatar
av98 av98 is offline
ZHP = Patlabor
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,340
Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Most people that bash the F30 say they don't like the swiss army knife utility of the car because it's doesn't excel at any 1 particular property. IMHO, that's what's great about the F30 because it's top 3 in all the important parameters and shows so much potential in customizing the important parameters the owner wants. On top of the utility of the car, they also managed to improve the gas mileage by 20-30% over the previous model with the 328i line, which is awesome compared to the E46 & E9x equivalents.

Examples:
1) If the suspension is too soft and not responsive enough; especially for agressive driving= remove DHP and get the BMW M Performance suspension + Sport/M-Sport anti-roll bars if you don't already have the trim.
2) If the auto start/stop annoys you= Have the dealer to program it off all the time.
3) The suspension isn't refined enough for a DD= get the DHP with both the adaptive suspension and variable steering; adds tons of refinement that the sport/m-sport doesn't have and improves upon the base, modern and luxury lines. Also essential for the awd models as they don't get the sport/m-sport lines.
4) Brakes on the 328i is not strong enough= upgrade to the BMW M Performance brakes; which adds 4 pots in the front and larger 1 pot in the rear.
5) The 8AT isn't responsive or good enough like the manual or the has too many gears= Get the 6MT
6) Eco Pro is a dog= Switch on the fly to comfort or sport/sport+
7) The tires grip are not enough= Upgrade to non-RFT tires, such as the Micheline PSS or PS2s for summer and PS2 A/S for all season.
8) Car costs too much= get a base model
9) Car doesn't have enough power= get the 335i or get a 328i with the BMS chip tune.
10) Car rolls too much= Upgrade to the Sport/M-Sport anti-roll bars if you have a base/modern/luxury line.
11) It's too heavy and large = Get the 1 series or wait for the 2 when it comes out.
12) I4T doesn't have a linear response compared to the I6= requires a bit of tuning but getting a modified twin-scroll (this was the best response to counter turbo lag) turbo using a smaller impeller for the initial stage then progressively larger with the final stage will resolve the linear feel, add in properly matched cams towards the transition point when the turbo runs out of air allowing the engine to breath more till redline will provide a linear and sustainable powerband from 1500rpms to redline (similar to the I6 power band in the older E46 & E9x engines). This will require $$$, a customized dyno tuned programmable ECU and map but it can be done.

Yes, BJ, not all E46 owners bash this forum. We do offer helpful and useful banter; objective of course
__________________

Last edited by av98; 12-02-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 11-29-2012, 02:48 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,531
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post

Yes, BJ, not all E46 owners bash this forum. We do offer helpful and useful banter; objective of course
Bravo.

You are my second-favorite poster on BF.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 11-29-2012, 05:53 PM
mr_clueless's Avatar
mr_clueless mr_clueless is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,680
Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
Most people that bash the F30 say they don't like the swiss army knife utility of the car because it's doesn't excel at any 1 particular property. IMHO, that's what's great about the F30 because it's top 3 in all the important parameters and shows so much potential in customizing the important parameters the owner wants. On top of the utility of the car, they also managed to improve the gas mileage by 20-30% over the previous model with the 328i line, which is awesome compared to the E46 & E9x equivalents.

Examples:
1) If the suspension is too soft and not responsive enough; especially for agressive driving= remove DHP and get the BMW M Performance suspension + Sport/M-Sport anti-roll bars if you don't already have the trim.
2) If the auto start/stop annoys you= Have the dealer to program it off all the time.
3) The suspension isn't refined enough for a DD= get the DHP with both the adaptive suspension and variable steering; adds tons of refinement that the sport/m-sport doesn't have and improves upon the base, modern and luxury lines. Also essential for the awd models as they don't get the sport/m-sport lines.
4) Brakes on the 328i is not strong enough= upgrade to the BMW M Performance brakes; which adds 4 pots in the front and larger 1 pot in the rear.
5) The 8AT isn't responsive or good enough like the manual or the has too many gears= Get the 6MT
6) Eco Pro is a dog= Switch on the fly to comfort or sport/sport+
7) The tires grip are not enough= Upgrade to non-RFT tires, such as the Micheline PSS or PS2s for summer and PS2 A/S for all season.
8) Car costs too much= get a base model
9) Car doesn't have enough power= get the 335i or get a 328i with the BMS chip tune.
10) Car rolls too much= Upgrade to the Sport/M-Sport anti-roll bars if you have a base/modern/luxury line.
11) It's too heavy and large = Get the 1 series or wait for the 2 when it comes out.
12) V4T doesn't have a linear response compared to the I6= requires a bit of tuning but getting a modified twin-scroll (this was the best response to counter turbo lag) turbo using a smaller impeller for the initial stage then progressively larger with the final stage will resolve the linear feel, add in properly matched cams towards the transition point when the turbo runs out of air allowing the engine to breath more till redline will provide a linear and sustainable powerband from 1500rpms to redline (similar to the I6 power band in the older E46 & E9x engines). This will require $$$, a customized dyno tuned programmable ECU and map but it can be done.

Yes, BJ, not all E46 owners bash this forum. We do offer helpful and useful banter; objective of course
This list should be part of the F30 FAQ for this forum .

Also, what about the lack of a full-size spare?
__________________

2014 328i / Liquid Blue / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 6 MT / Moonroof / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-16-2013
2003 325i / Gray Green / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 5 MT / Moonroof / 219K+ Miles / Bought 12-21-2002 / Sold 10-21-2013
1998 Civic EX / Vogue Silver / Gray / 4 DR / 5 MT / 122K+ Miles / Bought 12-30-1997 / Totaled 08-2002
1988 Sentra / Gray / Gray / 2 DR / 4 MT / 190K+ Miles / Bought 06-1994 @ 120K+ Miles / Died 12-1997
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 11-29-2012, 06:24 PM
jfox335i jfox335i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 259
Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2010 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
OK. Let's get this thread back on track!

BMW has been headed down the crapper ever since they went soft with the E21 after the 2002. They just lost their way.....40 years now, wandering in the desert!
OP, agree with much of what you say, and ignorance can be blissful. I test drove 09s, 10s, and 11s but without extended time in those cars I cannot say the EPS is numb compared to the HPS. I also don't find the ride too comfortable. I just throw it sort mode and feel it tighten up and I just grin,grin,grin. I've been a fan of BMWs ever since my first time in a 2001 M3 but haven't owned one until recently. All my knowledge was theoretical not practical. So for me, the F30 is one of the best cars I've ever driven. Would I feel different if I came from an 07 335i instead of a 12 legacy gt? Probably. But I didn't so weeeeeee!!!

That said, and I'm not trolling, but I originally went for a 2013 328 sport line but was left unimpressed with the 4cyl. on the test drive. Turbo seemed laggy on takeoff. Acceleration was fun after 30 but for 48k, I felt like I should be blown away. (Hence why I went with the 335). First one I tested was an 07 and holy ****, I was speechless. Knew I could never own a 328 after that. Then I test drove a 2009 M3. Yikes. I almost got talked into a lease on a 2013 lime rock edition. Wife would have deballed me and tossed me in street if I brought that home. Glad I went with the F30 335i.
__________________
Current: 2010 E90 M3 - JBM PP,TP,ES,CW,Beast
Retired: 2012 F30 335i Sedan - Sport Line

BMWCCA #471315
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 11-29-2012, 08:40 PM
woodswatchco woodswatchco is offline
Woodswatchco
Location: Tampa, FL.
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 228
Mein Auto: 2013 328i 6sp manual
I've owned quite a few old Z cars with inline sixes. So smooth. They are a very special type of engine. However, I have become addicted to the anytime I want it power that comes from a turbo. I currently have a 2003 Audi A4 until my 328i arrives in a month. It has a measly 170hp. Yet, it's the only car I've ever owned that doesn't require downshifs when going up steep mountain roads at highway speeds. I love the car in every way. Even it's idiot proof, all wheel drive handling. What won me over to BMW was the extra 35hp over the current A4 and the addition of the M Sport line with estoril blue. The extra power and the rear wheel drive will be so much more fun than my old A4. The A4 doesn't offer any special colors or sport trim packages like the M Sport line. I can't wait to experience my new 328i.





Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I asked those questions, because I wanted to hear your thoughts. It turns out the reality is most new 3er buyers have no idea what an inline six motor is. They assume BMW uses V6s like all the others. A recent survey done by BMW of new 1er owners revealed that 80% of them assumed their car was fwd.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 11-29-2012, 08:45 PM
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
-=Hot|Ice=- -=Hot|Ice=- is offline
Re-Badged
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,811
Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
ofcourse the ZF8 is going to better than the ZF6 in the same car/engine. But a ZF8 n20 will be better MPG than a N52 ZF8. there is no debate there, you just posted the facts lol

You said the improved fuel economy was a result of the ZF8 and not the N20 and thats simply not true. its a result of both, just look at the facts you posted

any assumption on your part is not considered fact, and thus should not even be mentioned in this conversation. Just stick to the facts that we have.
The ZF8 is one amazing transmission. I still can't get over how smooth it shifts. You'd think you were driving a twin clutch.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAudio
In the words of one of Bimmerfest's greatest minds:"Been there, done that"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 11-29-2012, 09:51 PM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,729
Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
The ZF8 is one amazing transmission. I still can't get over how smooth it shifts. You'd think you were driving a twin clutch.
I have been saying for a while that the best of the conventional "Slushbox" transmissions were very close in performance to DCTs and in many cases were smoother. The torque converters in the best of the ATs are locked up once the car is in motion and the truth of the matter is that torque converters are very good devices for smooth starts.

I think a lot of the appeal of the DCT is that people can convince themselves that "it isn't an automatic transmission" in spite of the fact that in terms of shift speeds, performance, and user interface, a state of the art AT is virtually indistinguisable from a DCT.

A while back Ms. Audio and I test drove a 335is with a DCT and a Jaguar XKR-S with a ZF 6 speed within a few days of each other. After we drove the Jag I told her that it had an AT while the BMW had a DCT and I explained the difference between the two types of transmissions. She told me she did not see much of a differnce and if she had to say which one she preferred it would have been the Jaguar. FWIW Ms. Audio is very adept at driving an MT. Although we have had a few AT Jaguars (XJ8 Sport, XJ8 VandenPlas and XKR) in Florida until the 335i (and now the 750) our NYC cars were always MTs.


CA

Edit: When I test drove the XKR-S the Jaguar representative who rode with me was Davy Jones (24 Hour LeMans winner, drove in the Indy 500, Nascar, etc,). He has been working with Jaguar for a number of years and is an instructor at test drive events. He is a casual acuaintance of mine and as we were driving the XKR-S he told me that he had recently driven a Lamborghini Adventador and he did not like the Lamborghini transmission at all and much preferred the Jaguar tranny (which is a ZF 6 speed similar to the Steptronic in the E9x 335i. Jaguar has programmed it differently for the XKR-S. He felt that the Lamborghini transmission (a single clutch 7 speed auto) shifted much too roughly and tended to upset the balance of the car.
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 11-29-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 11-30-2012, 04:19 AM
av98's Avatar
av98 av98 is offline
ZHP = Patlabor
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,340
Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
This list should be part of the F30 FAQ for this forum .

Also, what about the lack of a full-size spare?
Unfortunately, this issue has been around since the E9x days. Best solution with non-RFTs is to buy a slime sealant or purchase the spare tire then just store it in your trunk.

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...T-E90-KIT.html
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms