Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: boat
cost to get heated front seats not ordered originally

I didnt get heated front seats I live in NY. Kicking myself in the ass but what can ya do? My car is going to hit port on the 30th. I assume this is not a port installed option.

Anyway, does anyone know how much this would cost to have the dealer install?

Do they have to order new seats or do they install a heating pad somehow?
Ads by Google
Old 11-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
How much are you willing to spend? North of $1,000 if you get the dealer to do it. There are aftermarket DIY units available for a reasonable price. If you don't want to DIY an upholstery shop would probably do it. Short of diy it's gonna be at least $700ish or more to have aftermarket units done.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-27-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
You won't have the heated seat button in the middle. I'm guessing you'll need the center stack replaced too. Not sure they put dummies in the spot where the heated seat button would be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:20 PM

ouch.. well im not coming from a car that has headted seats so I dont know if I will miss it as much as I think.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:06 PM

Mein Auto: 335i F30 M-Sport
I looked into this for a used E46 and my option was basically swapping the seats out and getting the wiring as well (in terms of the hookups past the seat, switch etc). Even for an older used car this was massively prohibitive. Almost all retrofit items seem to be this way - VERY expensive and complicated to add after the fact. Pretty much not possible in the practical sense (if you want it done well with OEM parts) was what I took away from it.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Seat heaters can done relatively easily by a good shop. It won't be as good or as clean as the OEM but shouldn't cost more than $200-300.00. I live in Michigan and love having seat heaters.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:22 PM

This cant be port installed correct?
Old 11-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner44 View Post
This cant be port installed correct?
Correct.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 11-28-2012, 06:31 PM

someone want to donate 1000 to a good cause? lol
Old 11-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
someone want to donate 1000 to a good cause? lol
not to be blunt, but your ordering mistake hardly qualifies as a good cause. and you'll need alot more than that for an oem solution.

Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 11-28-2012, 07:49 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
I didnt get heated front seats I live in NY. Kicking myself in the ass but what can ya do? My car is going to hit port on the 30th. I assume this is not a port installed option.

Anyway, does anyone know how much this would cost to have the dealer install?

Do they have to order new seats or do they install a heating pad somehow?
Until you actually take delivery of your car, you can walk away without penalty.

You call your dealer in the morning, tell him of your regret, ask him to find your build with heated seats either on a lot somewhere or on another boat enroute to the US.

My friend in California just got his F30, had an issue with delivery (big delay in the LA port, was stuck there for over a month) and told the dealer he was dumping the deal if he didn't do something. They found another car with the same build a couple of hours away and he was in that car in under 24 hours.

Call your dealer, problem solved.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 11-28-2012, 07:54 PM

No I cant do that to my dealer. I already had him re order once to get the DHP because I was not aware at the time the xdrive's did not come with sport suspention.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
No I cant do that to my dealer. I already had him re order once to get the DHP because I was not aware at the time the xdrive's did not come with sport suspention.
Well, actually, you can. Your dealer did not get hurt by your first reorder. He lost an allocation position but will take your car and sell it to someone else, no harm done.

At least explore the possibility because there's nothing that hurts more than willfully accepting a car that you know you aren't going to love for the next 3-5 years. I'm frankly surprised that your dealer even let you order a NY car without heated seats. My dealer wouldn't take my order without them, eventually threw them in for free because he wouldn't take the risk that I'd back out of the car and he'd be stuck with a car he couldn't sell.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 11-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Well, the dealer relationship IS worth something, as far as I'm concerned.

This cannot be installed aftermarket easily, at least not as nice as the factory setup in which you have pleasant lighted buttons for both passengers.

If you've never lived with it, then maybe you won't miss what you've never had. On the other hand if you plan on keeping the car for 10 years then you should get it the way you want it. Perhaps offering the dealer marginally more profit for the THIRD re-order will make it a win-win.

Or, you can just be completely ruthless and walk away and order from another dealer.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:13 PM

I cant wait for another re-order I can barley wait the remaining 2 weeks before I get the car. I think I will ask my dealer how much for them to be installed.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I cant wait for another re-order I can barley wait the remaining 2 weeks before I get the car. I think I will ask my dealer how much for them to be installed.
If memory serves correctly, your build isn't that unique that a suitable replacement couldn't be found on a dealer lot somewhere in the network or on an incoming boat.

Again, it's worth talking to your dealer about. And who knows- he might have a car that's what you ordered but it has a package you didn't put on it and it's the end of the month and he wants to move a car tomorrow and he lets you have it for the same monthly payment and you're driving it this weekend. I've seen it happen (raises hand).

BJ

Old 11-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Did you buy or lease? If you leased don't do it. Anything you add like this has zero residual value which means you pay full price for it and then walk away from it after the 2-3 year lease is up.

You can get heated seats installed but you are talking $1500 or more for them to do it at the dealer, probably more, as the heaters/wiring, etc would all have to be installed. Not worth it.

Did you order with xenons? If not then maybe you should find out how much of a retrofit on those too because that is another 'must have' option on this car.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:23 PM

I will ask my dealer, it comes with xeons its a 335. its also a lease
Old 11-28-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I will ask my dealer, it comes with xeons its a 335. its also a lease
Okay, so your only choices are:

1. See if there's something available now or on a boat that has the heated seat option (which is quite common, guessing 90% of all NY vicinity cars have them).

2. Live with it.

BJ