Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

This is what an expensive set of snow tires looks like on a brand new, in-style BMW.

BJ
Wow, BJ. I would have thought you would have sprung for a second set of rims rather than mounting and remounting. How do you ensure your rims don't get unneccessarily damaged with all the tire trade outs?

I seriously would like to know as I am dreading my first tire replacement for fear of careless techs.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 11-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
Furby just doesn't do "normal" proposals. Gotta be some feet under water or many feet above ground!

Congrats and all the best!
Have to say that when I first read Furby proposed in an airplane on the way to meet the parents all I could think of was the movie "Meet the Parents".

I'm guessing her dad isn't quite the one portrayed by Robert DeNiro?

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 11-28-2012, 06:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Wow, BJ. I would have thought you would have sprung for a second set of rims rather than mounting and remounting. How do you ensure your rims don't get unneccessarily damaged with all the tire trade outs?

I seriously would like to know as I am dreading my first tire replacement for fear of careless techs.
We have a separate winter set of wheels and snow tires but I had very good service through the BMW dealer when originally mounting the tires. They said that they would repair or replace the wheels if they damaged them.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 11-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:

This is what a moderately expensive set of inappropriate snow tires looks like on a brand new, in-style BMW.
Fixed. Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25, Dunlop Winter Sport 3D and Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 are all pricier than the same-size Hakkepeliita--plus they're run-flats, as they should be for maximum winter safety of the trophy wife and kids. Then again, the F30 is still too new to be offered these options so it's understandable that you had to settle for what's available.

Hakkepeliitas are great tires but several others have caught up (to the studless version at least--studded Nokians are a whole 'nother kettle of horses). Not the aforementioned Blizzaks, though: The LM-25 is one of the worst, loudest, short-lived, greasy lumps ever to disgrace the name of "tyre." (Not that I have an opinion.)

N47░ 35' 30.13" E11░ 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 11-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Wow those wheels are clean..
Quote:
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:08 PM
BMW Platinum Visa« Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:

The second set of rims + snow tires costs more than flipping them out, and especially since I love the look of my multi-spoke 416's I wouldn't want to spend 4 months on something else. On a 36 month lease that often gets pulled-ahead to 30 months, dealing with a second set of rims in the wrong size or nut pattern doesn't make sense either.

The answer to your question is: Pick a VERY reputable tire shop that handles luxury cars and make sure to impress the manager and the tech with the knowledge that you are VERY picky about wheel damage and will go apesh-t if they screw it up. They'll put their best guy on your car, be patient, and make sure it's perfect.

My guy in NH ran a very small and pricey shop, was well-conditioned to my needs, never had an issue whatsoever. Down here in NJ I found a guy that's very good for my minivan but my BMW dealer is very close by and they have really good cookies and yogurt in the lounge.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic« | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package«
Old 11-28-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
Fixed. Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25, Dunlop Winter Sport 3D and Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 are all pricier than the same-size Hakkepeliita--plus they're run-flats, as they should be for maximum winter safety of the trophy wife and kids. Then again, the F30 is still too new to be offered these options so it's understandable that you had to settle for what's available.

Hakkepeliitas are great tires but several others have caught up (to the studless version at least--studded Nokians are a whole 'nother kettle of horses). Not the aforementioned Blizzaks, though: The LM-25 is one of the worst, loudest, short-lived, greasy lumps ever to disgrace the name of "tyre." (Not that I have an opinion.)

Might be where you live but for me the Nokian's aren't easy to find, special order for the most part, and only from one authorized dealer.

I don't need run-flats as I'll just hit the magic BMW Assist button and they'll have a solution to get me going in a few minutes.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic« | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package«
Old 11-28-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Wow those wheels are clean..
Just had gotten done with a car wash, had the drying-guys hit them with a little extra elbow grease to get the tire grease off.

The F30 brakes don't cause brake dust (queue joke about stopping ability) so that pet peeve is a thing of the past. Used to drive me crazy having to clean my own wheels every Saturday, no more.

BJ

Old 11-28-2012, 09:05 PM
GODSPD

Mein Auto: SSII E90 ///M, AW E92 N54
Quote:
The second set of rims + snow tires costs more than flipping them out
Never thought I'd hear you use that one as an excuse.

e90m / ssii / foxred / nochrome
wedssport sa-55m 19x9.5 et24 square / kwv3 / 15mm rear spacer
full challenge exhaust

WHEELS FOR SALE
Old 11-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Usual Suspect

Mein Auto: 750 Li Xdrive
Quote:

Might be where you live but for me the Nokian's aren't easy to find, special order for the most part, and only from one authorized dealer.

I don't need run-flats as I'll just hit the magic BMW Assist button and they'll have a solution to get me going in a few minutes.

BJ
BMW Assist will get you going in a few minutes. It may take them 5 hours to show up but after they do they will get you going (onto their tow truck) in a few minutes and they will tow you to the nearest BMW center where you will get to wait (assuming they are open) while they order you a new tire, which will be an original OEM RFT.

I would strongly suggest AAA Premiere Service and that you keep a Conti Comfort Kit, or something similar, in the car.

2014 B7 Alpina (daily driver Mass.), 2014 Maserati Gran Cabrio (daily driver Florida), 2012 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (wife's car Mass), 2014 AMG S63 (wife's car Florida)

1969 Camaro Z28, 1964 Jaguar E-Type, Caterham Super 7 (track car), 1957 Thunderbird, 1954 Jaguar XK120, 1958 Corvette, 1955 MGTF, 1965 Shelby GT350, Superformance 427 Cobra, 1955 Chevrolet Nomad, 1963 Corvette Split Window Coupe, 2001 BMW Z8,2014 McLaren 650S,

Last edited by UnderSteer; 11-28-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT View Post
Never thought I'd hear you use that one as an excuse.
Not just that, I think it's a PITA to have to transport and store both the tires and the wheels.

And I couldn't live without the standard F30 Luxury wheels so I'd have to buy a set of those which'll set me back around $1600 or so.

BJ

Old 11-28-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderSteer View Post
BMW Assist will get you going in a few minutes. It may take them 5 hours to show up but after they do they will get you going (onto their tow truck) in a few minutes and they will tow you to the nearest BMW center where you will get to wait (assuming they are open) while they order you a new tire, which will be an original OEM RFT.

I would strongly suggest AAA Premiere Service and that you keep a Conti Comfort Kit, or something similar, in the car.
Good point, will do. I've only had 1 flat my entire life (knocks wood) so it's not something I think that much about but you're right. I'm thinking that a tow truck could come with a donut just to get me mobile, no?

BJ

Old 11-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Good point, will do. I've only had 1 flat my entire life (knocks wood) so it's not something I think that much about but you're right. I'm thinking that a tow truck could come with a donut just to get me mobile, no?

BJ
My experience with BMW Assist and a (non OEM) flat tire.

I had an incident a few years ago which was documented in "The Straw That Broke The Captain's Back" thread in the E9x forum. As you are aware I replaced the RFTs with Go-Flats when the car was a few weeks old. I was on the Sawmill Parkway in Yonkers when the tire pressure warning light came on. I pulled off the road and found that the left year tire was flat. I tried inflating it with my Conti Comfort Kit and the tire would not hold air. I tried again using the sealant and the sealant came oozing out of a large tear on the sidewall and the tire would still not hold air. I called AAA (I had the standard service at the time) and they told me that since the tire would not hold air, could not be plugged, and I did not have a spare they would tow me to the nearest AAA garage. Now I would have to find a way to get back to my home in Manhattan and back to Yonkers to pick up the car once the tire was replaced (and I had no idea how long that would take). I then called BMW Assist who said they would tow me to the nearest BMW Center (BMW Manhattan on West 57th Street). This seemed like a better solution so I asked them to dispatch a tow truck. I called BMW Manhattan and told them I was having the car towed there and needed a new tire. BMW Manhattan told me the only tire they could sell me was one of the original Bridgestone RFTs. After a 2 hour wait a tow truck that had been dispatched by BMW assist arrived. The driver offered to tow me to his shop which was on 12th Ave. in Manhattan (which I am sure was a violation of BMW Assist policy). His shop would order me a new tire (Pirelli P_Zero Nero M&S - non RFT). My car was winched on to the flatbed truck and I rode in the cab with the driver to the shop on 12th Ave. They put the car up on a l ift and I could see that the other rear tire had a tear where you could see the cord and also needed to be replaced. They ordered two new tired and I had to pay top dollar since I was a captive audience. The tires were set to arrive in two days but UPS screwed up the delivery and the order had to be replaced. The car was in the shop for a week.

Shortly after that incident I upgraded my AAA membership to Premium. AAA premium will allow one 200 mile tow and up to three 100 mile tows per year. If I knew then what I know now I would have had an AAA Premium membership, had the car towed to Autobahn Service on Park Ave. and had Tire Rack deliver a new tire to them.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 11-29-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post

Shorlty after that incident I upgraded my AAA membership to Premium. AAA premium will allow one 200 mile tow and up to three 100 mile tows per year. If I knew then what I know now I would have had an AAA Premium membership, had the car towed to Autobahn Service on Park Ave. and had Tire Rack deliver a new tire to them.

CA
Thanks, CA.

I'll look into AAA Premium asap.

BJ

Old 11-29-2012, 07:38 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Don't fret about it too much. I told my BMW dealer that I knew that my wheels had no rash on them and expected them to come back that way after tire replacement. They did. Since then, after 50k miles and one careless driver that I had loaned the car to () I have a few road rash signs on the wheels.

With the next tire swap I'll likely just have them all repainted or powder coated. With GFTs and repaint the cost is probably the same as going the RFT route and I already have the spare in the trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 12-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Re-Badged

Quote:
Old 12-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Re-Badged

Top Gear Worst Car in the world full video!

http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-...ld_2413562.htm
Quote:
Old 12-02-2012, 08:31 PM

Today at the Boca Raton Resort and Club

Here is my alternative to dedicated winter tires.
We are at our winter hideaway until Chtistmas.

This is part of the lineup of cars in front of the hotel this morning.

View from our deck. I have seen this boat docked here for at least 5 years. I don't know who owns it and I have never seen it leave the dock.

Looking south from the deck towards the Boca Raton Inlet.
The building in the center of the picture is The Boca Beach Club which is part of the resort. The hotel runs a shuttle bus and a shuttle boat between the two properties,

Moon over Boca.
Night view from the deck looking east accross Lake Boca Raton at the buildings on Route A1A.

Friday nights lineup of cars in front of the main entrance.
Note the E93 (not mine) and the Cadillac.

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 12-03-2012 at 05:13 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Re-Badged

Take me with you, Captain.
Quote:
Old 12-03-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Take me with you, Captain.
I'm heading downstairs to take a short cruise on Mizner's Dream (The shuttle boat to the Beach Club). There were two Maserati Quatroportes parked in front today (along with a Honda Accord ).

More pics to follow.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 12-03-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
I'm not a sticker guy...but this I couldn't pass up...U MAD BRO?

Old 12-03-2012, 12:40 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Nokian Hakkapellitta's.

DSX mentioned them to me back in 2007 for my E93 in the harsh NH winters, I swear by them now.

BJ
Looked them up. My Pirelli's are more expensive.

BTW, true status folks don't have summer tires vs winter tires...they have summer cars vs winter cars. Why bother changing the tire when you can just change the car!

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:43 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
You have to admit, it would have been a long flight had she refused...
Short fall. They have parachutes on commercial airplanes right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew b View Post
So that's YOU in that Jarrod's TV advertisement (the one where the guy proposes on the plane)?

Congratulations!!
They modeled him after me, but they used a cheap diamond

Quote:
Have to say that when I first read Furby proposed in an airplane on the way to meet the parents all I could think of was the movie "Meet the Parents".

I'm guessing her dad isn't quite the one portrayed by Robert DeNiro?
LOL. Not at all. Though to be honest, parents never scared me. Most liked me so much they always asked me to come visit, even without their daughters How can someone not love the fuzz

This forum needs a furby smiles

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Re-Badged

http://see.walmart.com/furby

Furby v2.0 is coming.
Quote:
Old 12-03-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Looked them up. My Pirelli's are more expensive.

BTW, true status folks don't have summer tires vs winter tires...they have summer cars vs winter cars. Why bother changing the tire when you can just change the car!
And the summer cars are kept at the Summer home and the winter cars are kept at the winter home.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 12-03-2012 at 01:40 PM.