Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Brake Job Torque Specs

I tried searching for this, but didn't find any results. The only Bentley I have is for my e30, but the e39 is a heavier car and braking system, so I can't be sure the torque specs are the same.

Does anyone have the torque specs for the rear 7mm carrier guide bolt and the wheel lugs?

I wonder how close they are the the e30's 22-25 ft.lb., and 74 ft.lb. Both use the same design Ate calipers, and both use 7mm guide bolts.
Advertisement
Old 11-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Ball Don't lie

Mein Auto: 2001 Dinan m5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomolka30 View Post
I tried searching for this, but didn't find any results. The only Bentley I have is for my e30, but the e39 is a heavier car and braking system, so I can't be sure the torque specs are the same.

Does anyone have the torque specs for the rear 7mm carrier guide bolt and the wheel lugs?

I wonder how close they are the the e30's 22-25 ft.lb., and 74 ft.lb. Both use the same design Ate calipers, and both use 7mm guide bolts.
Bentley manuals should have this.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hh3uunp View Post
Bentley manuals should have this.
I'm positive that the Bentley manuals have this information.

I don't have a Bentley manual for the e39.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Ball Don't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomolka30 View Post
I'm positive that the Bentley manuals have this information.

I don't have a Bentley manual for the e39.
I do just I'm not home.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:58 PM

I found the answer. Guess where? Naturally, a Bluebee post. It was pretty difficult to find, but here are my answers:

Bluebee, if you're out there, do you remember where you got these numbers from? This came from your first time doing a brake job back in 2008.

Last edited by gomolka30; 11-24-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Bluebee's torque values are the same as what is specified in Bentley's.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:26 PM

I should have never doubted

Interesting thing compared to the e30, the e39 guide bolt torque values are lower (only by a pound or 2) and the lug bolt torque is much higher even though there is one extra (5 vs 4). The lateral forces are much higher though with 700 extra pounds of steel working against 30mm width more of rubber (195 vs 225).
Old 11-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
As Fudman said, they're scattered about in the Bentleys.

IIRC, we had trouble with one or two of the specs, where users (JimLev?, RDL?) pitched in to find the missing specs in the BMW E39 TIS.

For reference, the actual thread which contains all this is here:
- One user's example of a complete brake job with all torque figures, specs, measurements, fluids, decisions, tools, tricks, mistakes, suppliers, costs, etc., that it entails (1)

Just be sure to read that backward when looking up the specs as we did update them once or twice. For example, this is what the team compiled at post #198 of that thread.

Last edited by bluebee; 11-27-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Added screenshot.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Ball Don't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
As Fudman said, they're scattered about in the Bentleys.

IIRC, we had trouble with one or two of the specs, where users (JimLev?, RDL?) pitched in to find the missing specs in the BMW E39 TIS.

For reference, the actual thread which contains all this is here:
- One user's example of a complete brake job with all torque figures, specs, measurements, fluids, decisions, tools, tricks, mistakes, suppliers, costs, etc., that it entails (1)

Just be sure to read that backward when looking up the specs as we did update them once or twice. For example, this is what the team compiled at post #198 of that thread.

I believe I was the first to say Bentley manuals
Resident Grammar and Spelling expert
Old 11-27-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I believe I was the first to say Bentley manuals
My biggest beef with the Bentleys is they scatter the necessary specs about, and they miss some critical specs.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Ball Don't lie

Quote:
My biggest beef with the Bentleys is they scatter the necessary specs about, and they miss some critical specs.
Yea but 99% of the time problems that are posted on the forums can be answered in the manuals. It's a great tool for quick reference. Tis.spaggettie coder doesn't have the complete manuals so if you're going off that you're wrong
Old 11-28-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Yea but 99% of the time problems that are posted on the forums can be answered in the manuals.
Well, it's more like 75%, as I don't think the DIYs for some things are in the manuals.
- Do others feel the Bentley manuals are useless for some DIY tasks (1)

For example, the power steering fluid reservoir flushes and hose fixes, the home alignment DIYs, the motive oil extraction DIYs, even an alternator rebuild or cooling system DIY are severely lacking in the Bentleys.

Likewise with most of the most common repairs, e.g., there's not much about how to troubleshoot and repair the ABS trifecta, they don't really cover the VANOS seals, certainly the repair for the headlight adjusters is lacking in the Bentleys as is the FSU repair. I don't think the rear vapor seals are covered directly - although they're covered in the section on replacing the window regulator in the TIS. I don't remember the windshield trim being covered in the Bentleys, nor the old-style jack pads that fall off.

The Bentley doesn't say how to replace a worn roundel, or how to repair the trunk loom wiring, nor the MID & cluster pixel tape lifting repair, or even how to replace the broken cupholders.

It doesn't adequately cover removing all the cracked wood trim, nor the seat covers which cover the harness for the seat and steering wheel tilt. Nor does the Bentley really cover the repairs to the windshield reservoir motors.

The Bentley DOES have brake stuff though.

I would change your answer to this:
While about 75% of the repairs are covered in the Bentleys, about 99% of all the problems E39 owners will experience have already been covered in the forums!
Old 11-28-2012, 01:12 PM
Ball Don't lie

Quote:
Well, it's more like 75%, as I don't think the DIYs for some things are in the manuals.
- Do others feel the Bentley manuals are useless for some DIY tasks (1)

For example, the power steering fluid reservoir flushes and hose fixes, the home alignment DIYs, the motive oil extraction DIYs, even an alternator rebuild or cooling system DIY are severely lacking in the Bentleys.

Likewise with most of the most common repairs, e.g., there's not much about how to troubleshoot and repair the ABS trifecta, they don't really cover the VANOS seals, certainly the repair for the headlight adjusters is lacking in the Bentleys as is the FSU repair. I don't think the rear vapor seals are covered directly - although they're covered in the section on replacing the window regulator in the TIS. I don't remember the windshield trim being covered in the Bentleys, nor the old-style jack pads that fall off.

The Bentley doesn't say how to replace a worn roundel, or how to repair the trunk loom wiring, nor the MID & cluster pixel tape lifting repair, or even how to replace the broken cupholders.

It doesn't adequately cover removing all the cracked wood trim, nor the seat covers which cover the harness for the seat and steering wheel tilt. Nor does the Bentley really cover the repairs to the windshield reservoir motors.

The Bentley DOES have brake stuff though.

I would change your answer to this:
While about 75% of the repairs are covered in the Bentleys, about 99% of all the problems E39 owners will experience have already been covered in the forums!
Well regular problems (cup holders is pretty easy to figure out without manuals) with my 4 years with my car not one thing I needed to fix wasnt in the manuals.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Well regular problems (cup holders is pretty easy to figure out without manuals) with my 4 years with my car not one thing I needed to fix wasnt in the manuals.
I agree cupholders are 'relatively' easy to figure out (they only have two screws, after all) ... and I admire that you find the Bentleys sufficient - as I find them absolutely horrid.

I think the difference is that I have no mechanical abilities whatsoever - and you probably have decent abilities.

So, we're starting from different points!