Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X5
Please help!! 2007 x5 engine blew

YES 2007 X5 ENGINE BLEW 175K. NO WARNING NOTHING, I GOT AN OIL CHANGE 1 WEEK PRIOR AND MECHANIC SAYS ITS NO FAULT TO THE OIL CHANGE COMPANY!! WARNING LIGHT CAME ON (LOW OIL-PULL OVER), PULLED OVER AND YES IT WENT.....I NEED A ENGINE WHAT HAPPENED?? $12,000 TO INSTALL USED
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
FIRST, NO NEED TO 'YELL'!!

There, now this is better.

Why or how did the engine "blow"?????? There had to be A cause or failure point.

Your best choice will be to source a used motor yourself and have a mechanic install it, or scrap the car. I would not buy a new motor...

Be very careful with the used motor- ideally you find a totaled, relatively low mile x5 and get that motor...a loose motor at a junk yard you really have no idea of the history. And remember, don't believe anything anyone SAYS to you....

A

Last edited by ard; 11-28-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Ideally you would want an X5 that had been rear ended -- or had a tree fall on the roof -- to get your "donor" engine. The problem is that "dismantlers" do just that -- they dismantle and the engines are usually removed when the front clip (if good) is taken and they are stored inside, or at least the high end stuff is. You don't want an engine that has been sitting outside in the mud! Find a good wrench who knows the yards and is willing to work with a salvage engine -- some are not. Finally, what actually happened to your engine -- is it in any way repairable? That might be the most economical solution -- but you have serious mileage and lots of other things are wearing out so scrapping and a new car might be the best way to go.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:44 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidijkirk View Post
YES 2007 X5 ENGINE BLEW 175K. NO WARNING NOTHING, I GOT AN OIL CHANGE 1 WEEK PRIOR AND MECHANIC SAYS ITS NO FAULT TO THE OIL CHANGE COMPANY!! WARNING LIGHT CAME ON (LOW OIL-PULL OVER), PULLED OVER AND YES IT WENT.....I NEED A ENGINE WHAT HAPPENED?? $12,000 TO INSTALL USED
I read (in a whinny 10 years old's voice) ..."I have a X5 with a LOT of miles on it that should have died long ago. I did...FINALLY decided to change oil a week ago (but it may have been 2 years before that since the prior oil change was done). I bought it from someone for a song and now (for some reason) am COMPLETELY surprised that a $11K (today's KBB trade value) truck with 175K miles died"...REALLY? Heck, you didn't even bother to outline WHICH engine you have in the vehicle...

Now that it out of the way, let's try again. WHY did it "die"? How long have you owned it? What were the service records before you own it? Do you even have PROOF that the miles were/are accurate? It might have 300K miles on it if you haven't owned it since new, right? Where did you buy it from (Auction?) and WHEN did you buy it? If at auction, the odds are good that the seller KNEW of the risk and (to be honest) YOU should also have been aware of a HUGE risk with ANY used vehicle with 175K miles on the engine.

Now, on to how to fix your problem. Engine replacement is really your ONLY good option. Find a trustworthy independent mechanic that has replaced BMW engines in the past and has all the computer systems necessary to properly program the replacement engine once he gets it into the frame. You are probably going to spend another $5K to $6K to have the swap performed with the engine composing the bulk of those $s. This may not be what you want to hear but the reality is what it is...

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-28-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
I read (in a whinny 10 years old's voice) ..."I have a X5 with a LOT of miles on it that should have died long ago. I did...FINALLY decided to change oil a week ago (but it may have been 2 years before that since the prior oil change was done). I bought it from someone for a song and now (for some reason) am COMPLETELY surprised that a $11K (today's KBB trade value) truck with 175K miles died"...REALLY? Heck, you didn't even bother to outline WHICH engine you have in the vehicle...
Old 11-28-2012, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
Put a small block chevy engine in there. I'm actually serious. Does anyone know if thats possible?

Last edited by RockChips; 11-28-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:05 AM

Mein Auto: E70 x5 3.0sd
Chev powered x5........now your talking!!!
Old 11-29-2012, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Plenty of room in there -- but the cost would stagger given the need for the correct emissions junk. Would be nice though -- like those 70's Jags with the small block conversions -- amazing performance.