Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-28-2012, 04:41 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Oil coming out from the front grilles

I have a 2009 BMW 328i (with about 32K on it). A few days back "Service needed" warning (in yellow) came up on the car dashboard - it came up only once when I started the car and went away once the car had started, and didn't show up again. However, a small warning triangle sign would come up and remain while I am driving too. So, after a day, I took the car to the dealer, and told them about the "Service needed" sign (unfortunately it didn't come up again so they couldn't see that) but they saw the warning sign. They told me to continue driving until I see any sign that gives more information about the problem. I did that, and yesterday, I saw some oil come out of the grilles area - it was spilling downwards all over the bumper AND some sprayed upwards on the hood. My husband and I opened the hood after the car had cooled down a bit and couldn't find anything like a oil spill visible. However, the hook that latches the hood did have some dark colored oil on it. I don't want to speculate the worst, but I am really worried about it, so wanted to get any pointers from all of you here. I am waiting for the dealership folks to take a look at it before I drive it.
Ads by Google
Old 11-28-2012, 06:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobie328i View Post
I have a 2009 BMW 328i (with about 32K on it). A few days back "Service needed" warning (in yellow) came up on the car dashboard - it came up only once when I started the car and went away once the car had started, and didn't show up again. However, a small warning triangle sign would come up and remain while I am driving too. So, after a day, I took the car to the dealer, and told them about the "Service needed" sign (unfortunately it didn't come up again so they couldn't see that) but they saw the warning sign. They told me to continue driving until I see any sign that gives more information about the problem. I did that, and yesterday, I saw some oil come out of the grilles area - it was spilling downwards all over the bumper AND some sprayed upwards on the hood. My husband and I opened the hood after the car had cooled down a bit and couldn't find anything like a oil spill visible. However, the hook that latches the hood did have some dark colored oil on it. I don't want to speculate the worst, but I am really worried about it, so wanted to get any pointers from all of you here. I am waiting for the dealership folks to take a look at it before I drive it.

That would seem to be abnormal, but we'll see.

For better understanding, please, post an image o'the service doc[s] from your latest previous visit.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Frankly, I'm puzzled the dealer saw the triangle and couldn't figure out what's causing it. At the least, I would think you could get it to give you more information on the dash display using the turn signal stalk:
  • Rock the switch on the face of it up until you see "Check Control"
  • Press the button on the end
  • It should give you an icon for what the gripe is (you can use the rocker switch to scroll and see if there are more than one)
  • When an icon is up, hold the end button for 2 seconds until a code pops up
  • Write the code down
  • Give the code to the dealer and post it here

This is a BMW dealer, right? Again, I'm stunned they can't tell you what's causing the triangle.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 11-28-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Frankly, I'm puzzled the dealer saw the triangle and couldn't figure out what's causing it.

Yeah. Me too.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Thanks for your replies, folks. I checked the controls using the turn signal stalk and it came back with Check Control OK. Using the rocker switch, I checked each of the different things but strangely everything returns OK or not due for service anytime soon. Also, it's a BMW dealer that I am talking about - infact the folks at the dealership did that test too using the signal stalk before they decided to tell me to come back when I see any other sign - I was really worried and asked them specifically if it's safe to continue driving. I suspect they were just too busy to take a look since it probably involved much more work than if it said what's going on :-(
Old 11-28-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your replies, folks. I checked the controls using the turn signal stalk and it came back with Check Control OK. Using the rocker switch, I checked each of the different things but strangely everything returns OK or not due for service anytime soon. Also, it's a BMW dealer that I am talking about - infact the folks at the dealership did that test too using the signal stalk before they decided to tell me to come back when I see any other sign - I was really worried and asked them specifically if it's safe to continue driving. I suspect they were just too busy to take a look since it probably involved much more work than if it said what's going on :-(

Uh huh. Are you familiar with OBD II code scanners?

How 'bout that service doc.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 11-28-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
The various computers within the vehicle record all kinds of information which can only be accessed with the appropriate computer. Of which all BMW dealers should have. Even if there are no service indicators set there should be information which can be retrieved via the computer. It's amazing how much information is stored even if the service indicator is never illuminated (for example my 2001 had a malfunctioning headlight leveling sensor which did not illuminate the service indicator. However a code for it was reported when the computer was used to read the codes).

As CWB mentioned OBD-II scanner should be able to retrieve some generic service codes (if any are set). This can be done even if the service indicator is no longer illuminated. If the service indicator is illuminated and subsequently is extinguished the computer will retain the code(s) which set the indicator for a period of time. It does so for exactly this reason: Technicians can retrieve the information even if the light goes off.

Have the BMW dealer hook up their computer and retrieve the information stored.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
if the 328 is like the 335, the oil filter housing is on the top of the engine, towards front and a little to the right center, Black plastic type housing, maybe its as simple as the filter cover housing is loose? or it could be cracked and under pressure leaking. Might be worth checking

Hondo
Old 11-29-2012, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
The spray outside the car makes me think it might be the air conditioning condenser. It looks like a radiator in front of the engine coolant radiator. The gas is under pressure and contains an oil lubricant for the compressor. If that is damaged, the high pressure R134a refrigerant with some oil would come out. Check to see if your A/C blows cold. If it doesn't, that might be your problem.