Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Heated Seats question

Guys, I just got my first BMW. Loving it so far. The heated seats don't seem to be very warm though, even at the highest setting. I'm thinking of taking it in so Service can have a look at it. Heated seats on some cars get very therapeutically warm and feel great but not on my 328i.

Is there a known issue?
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2012, 02:05 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
First off, welcome aboard.

Next, my seats are very warm, can burn a buttocks or fry an egg if you're not careful. Have your dealer take a look.

Might go without saying, but you need to tap-tap-tap the button to get 3 LED lights lit and the highest heat setting. If you only have 1 LED light lit, that's on the lowest setting.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 11-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 VW R32
My heated seats aren't nearly as warm as my E90 M3. Not sure if there is a problem or not, but all 3 LEDs are definitely on.

2013 335i M-Sport, Estoril Blue II, Black Dakota Leather
2008 VW R32 Tornado Red
2008 M3 Sedan 6MT, Jet Black, Black Novillo Leather
2008 135i Vert, Monaco Blue Metallic, Lemon Dakota Leather
2002 E55 AMG, Tectite Gray, Charcoal Nappa Leather
Old 11-29-2012, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
First off, welcome aboard.

Next, my seats are very warm, can burn a buttocks or fry an egg if you're not careful. Have your dealer take a look.

Might go without saying, but you need to tap-tap-tap the button to get 3 LED lights lit and the highest heat setting. If you only have 1 LED light lit, that's on the lowest setting.

BJ
That's strange, mine go to full heat (3 LEDs) with one tap on the button; tapping more on it reduces the setting.

I have no problem with the heat level, on full it's very hot I find so maybe OP does have a problem.

Another cool feature: have you noticed if you leave the car for just a few minutes, when you get back in and re-start it remembers the heated seat setting. If it's been a while then they are off when you re-start.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport
The HS in mine work so well my GF tries to slap me when I turn hers on when she's not looking. By the time she notices her ass is frying. It's really a fun game when you have a passenger.
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Never again anything larger than a 3 series sedan.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
That's strange, mine go to full heat (3 LEDs) with one tap on the button; tapping more on it reduces the setting.

I have no problem with the heat level, on full it's very hot I find so maybe OP does have a problem.

Another cool feature: have you noticed if you leave the car for just a few minutes, when you get back in and re-start it remembers the heated seat setting. If it's been a while then they are off when you re-start.
Mine work that way too, I think BJ is just mis-stating how it operates.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post

Sorry.....mis-typed.

1 tap turns them to 3 LED's (MAX), 3 taps turns them down until off. Currently using the seats to warm up microwave pancakes, practicing just in case another blackout hits.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 11-29-2012, 04:41 PM

Yes, sounds like a first trip to Service is in order. Looking forward to frying eggs, etc.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixotesque View Post
Yes, sounds like a first trip to Service is in order. Looking forward to frying eggs, etc.
I have a feeling that when they quote you what it's going to cost (they might even insist on ordering completely new seats, etc) your eyes are going to bulge out of your head and you're going to decide you can live without it.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:

Test complete. My heated seats work as advertised.

BJ

Old 11-29-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
I have a feeling that when they quote you what it's going to cost (they might even insist on ordering completely new seats, etc) your eyes are going to bulge out of your head and you're going to decide you can live without it.
Doesn't new car warranty cover this sort of work?
Old 11-29-2012, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335 xdrive Sportline
I've noticed that the HS on the F30 takes about 4 to 5 times longer to get to hot as compared to our old E90. Also it does not seem to get as hot. I think I will mention it next time we are at the dealers.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Doesn't new car warranty cover this sort of work?
Why would the warranty cover you wanting to do an expensive feature addition after delivery?

The only way warranty would cover it is if the order was messed up and the dealer could bill BMW back to make the needed changes.

Honestly if you're this hung up about the heated seats you should just order the car optioned the way you want.... this time make sure it's actually got everything you want.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
Why would the warranty cover you wanting to do an expensive feature addition after delivery?

The only way warranty would cover it is if the order was messed up and the dealer could bill BMW back to make the needed changes.

Honestly if you're this hung up about the heated seats you should just order the car optioned the way you want.... this time make sure it's actually got everything you want.
I'm not sure what exactly you mean. I got heated seats and they don't seem to get very warm like some people are describing here. If that is a result of defect with heated seats on my car, wouldn't warranty cover it? I'm not talking about any feature addition. Or was my initial description misleading to suggest that I'm looking to add heated seats after the fact?
Old 11-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

My apologies, I was confusing you with another person who was agonizing about his BMW not coming with heated seats and wanting his dealer to retrofit them after the fact. I got the two subjects mixed up.

Of course you are correct, if they don't get warm enough you should have it checked out and naturally it would be covered under warranty.

I can't stand mine on anything hotter than '2' and even then I usually turn it down to '1' after 15 minutes. My wife on the other hand apparently likes having a hot ass because she thinks '3' feels great where-as I don't want my reproductive bits fried so I never go to that setting.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:57 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2014 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzzo View Post
The HS in mine work so well my GF tries to slap me when I turn hers on when she's not looking. By the time she notices her ass is frying. It's really a fun game when you have a passenger.
Haha so true! I did this to my boss going to lunch today. After a couple minutes he shot me a look and turned it off. Dude likes chilly buns.

I sweat if I leave it on three for too long. Feels good even if its not cold out. Good for my lower back pain.
2012 F30 335i Sedan - BSM, Sport Line, PP,Tech,HK,CW,DA2
2010 E90 M3 - JBM PP,TP,ES,CW,Beast

BMWCCA #471315
Old 11-29-2012, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport
I believe I read they may have to "break in" first. hope mine burns my ass at 1st use. cold seats suck
Old 11-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
I don't think the Heated Seats are suppose to burn you. They get toasty or comfortably hot but never too hot. The heated steering wheel in my sisters 328 gets warm as does my mom's X5. Good luck! Tell us if you find out anything!
Quote:
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Guys, I just got my first BMW. Loving it so far. The heated seats don't seem to be very warm though, even at the highest setting. I'm thinking of taking it in so Service can have a look at it. Heated seats on some cars get very therapeutically warm and feel great but not on my 328i.

Is there a known issue?

Mine's usually on the lowest setting....way hot!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Melbourne Red 335i
Thumbs up Love Our Heated Seats !

Quote:

Is there a known issue?
We have had them on all three of our 3 Series. So much nicer to take the chill off on a cold San Diego Morning, and not having to put the heater On ! I saw a story where some drivers have gotten burns from using them every day on long rush hour and morning drives to work. Be careful using them for long periods of time on a consistent basis. The article did not mention BMW specifically however. A great feature if use in moderation correctly. For sure have your dealer check it out. Could be something electrical . Good Luck and enjoy your New Bimmer!
June 9,2012 New Order. 2013 335i Sedan, Melbourne Red Metallic Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum, Leather Dakota Black/Red Highlight, 19" Wheels, Premium Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Technology Package, Sport Transmission with Paddles, Htd Front Seats & Harmon Kardon Performance Center Delivery October 9, 2012. BMWCCA Member since April 2006.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:09 AM

Mein Auto: Bavarian
The heated seats in my F30 don't feel nearly as warm as the ones from my various E9x cars.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by roup1 View Post
The heated seats in my F30 don't feel nearly as warm as the ones from my various E9x cars.
+ 1 Also takes to long to heat up.
cheers
verb
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 12-01-2012, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 333xi
I disagree, my F30 seat heaters are too warm...I leave mine with one light instead of full.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:07 PM

Called the dealership to schedule time to have seats looked at. They told me that if there indeed turns out to be an issue, since the coils are in the fabric, they would have to order new fabric and replace it. EEK!

Can I expect the seats to still look and feel like new out of the factory after this work is done?
Old 12-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Received many complaints from customers about the F30's heated seats. Everyone says the same thing. I honestly don't think you have an issue. This is how the car was designed to function.
Quote:
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.