Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-28-2012, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi sportswagon-MT
2008 328xi e91 washer leak - troubleshooting advice needed...

hi...a month ago i picked a pre-owned 2008 328xi wagon that was always serviced by the previous owner at the dealer...4 1/2 years old, 46k miles...out of warranty now...

problem: low washer fluid light came on and it took me a couple weeks to get it filled...today, i had it filled to the top...immediately noticed the fluid running out under the car - directly under the tank..a steady stream - definitely not a trickle...i drove off and stopped 15 minutes or so later and there was no stream coming out - but shortly after, the low washer fluid light came on...

the washer pump works fine and there's definitely some amount of fluid still in the tank - so i'm pretty sure the tank isn't cracked on the bottom...so i'm thinking its the strainer gasket thing attached to the pump of a cracked rubber tube or connector...

i've read some posts/threads on this problem and it looks like i can diagnose it myself...requires me to pull the passenger side wheel and wheel-well trim off to get at it...have learned that it could be caused by a leak where the pump connects to the strainer gasket thing...could also leak where the rubber tubes attaches on the bottom of the assembly...having seen pix of the entire washer assembly and seeing where the washer sensor is - it's unclear if the sensor is above the bottom of the pump/strainer gasket or where the rubber tubing attaches to the horizontal pump male connector...having some idea if its the strainer gasket versus a potential rubber tubing issue before i pull the wheel will help...not sure if i should pick up a strainer gasket to have it on hand or not...

any advice on the potential area of the leak based on the sensor and the stream that i described is helpful...thanks...R

Last edited by hackR10; 11-28-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-29-2012, 04:40 AM

bump...
Old 11-29-2012, 06:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackR10 View Post
hi...a month ago i picked a pre-owned 2008 328xi wagon that was always serviced by the previous owner at the dealer...4 1/2 years old, 46k miles...out of warranty now...

problem: low washer fluid light came on and it took me a couple weeks to get it filled...today, i had it filled to the top...immediately noticed the fluid running out under the car - directly under the tank..a steady stream - definitely not a trickle...i drove off and stopped 15 minutes or so later and there was no stream coming out - but shortly after, the low washer fluid light came on...

the washer pump works fine and there's definitely some amount of fluid still in the tank - so i'm pretty sure the tank isn't cracked on the bottom...so i'm thinking its the strainer gasket thing attached to the pump of a cracked rubber tube or connector...

i've read some posts/threads on this problem and it looks like i can diagnose it myself...requires me to pull the passenger side wheel and wheel-well trim off to get at it...have learned that it could be caused by a leak where the pump connects to the strainer gasket thing...could also leak where the rubber tubes attaches on the bottom of the assembly...having seen pix of the entire washer assembly and seeing where the washer sensor is - it's unclear if the sensor is above the bottom of the pump/strainer gasket or where the rubber tubing attaches to the horizontal pump male connector...having some idea if its the strainer gasket versus a potential rubber tubing issue before i pull the wheel will help...not sure if i should pick up a strainer gasket to have it on hand or not...

any advice on the potential area of the leak based on the sensor and the stream that i described is helpful...thanks...R

Have a look now, before weather turns colder. Hey take some pics & post!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
I just started having the same problem. I've got a slow leak at the washer tank.

I don't know any more about it than you do. I'm going to have to do some research to see how to access the tank. I suspect that this will be a J.B. Weld fix.

Frederic
Old 11-29-2012, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
hopefully the previous owner didnt put plain water in the washer and it froze and cracked the pump

Hondo
Old 11-29-2012, 09:05 AM

Definitely not on mine. I'm the second owner. The car lived in Florida all its life, and now it's in Texas. It's never been cold enough to freeze anything.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:30 PM

a quick update...i pulled the wheel, wheel-well and inspected the tank...no problems at all...i filled it up 2/3 and no leak...i then put it all back together...i then noticed that the leak was coming from near the headlight washer area on the passenger side (i have the cold weather package)...i stuck my hand into the engine compartment near the area and can feel a stream coming from the housing of the headlight washer (not where the hose attaches) but it feels like a pin hole stream coming from the unit...what surprises me is the pressure - a constant stream...the 2/3 tank of fluid is now on my driveway...

oh - and the headlight washers do work...both of them...as do the rear and windshield washers...it just appears like the headlight washer housing has a leak...

i need to sort out how to get at the headlight washer and inspect it...my hunch is that i have to get at it thru the front portion of the passenger front wheel well...i need to find some info on this tonight...

if anyone has info or can point me in the right direction to how to get at and fix the headlight washer thing, i'd appreciate it...

thanks...R

Last edited by hackR10; 11-29-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:57 PM

An update on mine as well. My leak was the pump itself.
I'm on the BMW extended warranty, which means I pay $50 to bring the car into the shop.
A new BMW pump is $70 at the dealership.
A new aftermarket pump is $23 at Bimmerzone.
http://www.bimmerzone.com/product/PRT-67126934159.html

Since it's not a critical system, I went with the aftermarket.

I noticed on my tank that there is a location for a second pump, about halfway up the tank. Is this where the pump for the headlight sprayers is mounted? I don't have the cold weather package, so have no headlight sprayers. But I'm trying to come up with other uses for that pump location. Intercooler sprayer, perhaps?

Frederic