Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 11' 35D
Smile First post 2011 X5 35d (buying)

I have enjoyed trolling the community the past two months as I narrowed which 35d year to buy, so thank you for all the informative posts!

I placed a down payment on a used 35d this week. Taking delivery on Saturday at the BMW dealer. I declined all $12k of maintenance upsell from the finance manager

I will spend $$$$ to upgrade the base sound system. The only other item I wish it had is comfort access, which I may retro-fit. And I can't drive to Tahoe with the 214's so I'll need to pickup an additional set of wheels for snow, along with adding a space saver spare w/piston mount.

Any recommendations or things to look out for or consider with the purchase?

2011 X5 35d
17,000 miles

$46,000

Specs

Platinum Gray Metallic
Black Nevada Leather
Bamboo Trim
Sport Activity Pkg w/Y-Spoke (style 214)
Premium Pkg
Technology Pkg
Cold Weather Pkg
Rear Climate Pkg
Running Boards
Multi-Contour Seats
Heated Rear Seats
Apps
iPod + USB
Smartphone

Last edited by abbott; 11-30-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
see when all the oil changes have been done.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:01 PM

Thanks!

Yes, the services records indicate: "1ST ENG OIL SERVICE-FULL MAINTENANCE" was executed 6-28-12 @ 9,000 miles
Old 11-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Too bad you couldn't get them to CPO it...the 6/100 warranty is worth 3500.! Gbut the CPO inspection is worthless)

I assume you've checked for accident history if this is important to you

Enjoy
Old 11-29-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Too bad you couldn't get them to CPO it...the 6/100 warranty is worth 3500.! Gbut the CPO inspection is worthless)
Yeah, I did ask the general manager, and he said it would cost me $3,000 on top. I'm assuming you meant having it CPO'd for free?

Considering how limited the CPO warranty is, is it worth spending another $3,000?

CarFax was clean.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3, 2011 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbott View Post
Yeah, I did ask the general manager, and he said it would cost me $3,000 on top. I'm assuming you meant having it CPO'd for free?

Considering how limited the CPO warranty is, is it worth spending another $3,000?

CarFax was clean.
Oh YEAH! It only takes one bad repair to get your $3000 back
Old 11-29-2012, 06:55 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by macming View Post
Oh YEAH! It only takes one bad repair to get your $3000 back
Congrats on your new ride!
Depending on the "in service" date, it may not even be a year old and 17K miles means that you have at least 3+ years left on the warranty (if you drive under 10K/year like I do) so the bottom line is that "you don't NEED the warranty UNTIL the manufacturer's warranty runs out" some 3+ years from now, right? Why pay ANYBODY $3K now when you can simply wait those 3 years and then buy whatever coverage you want at that time (for less $'s)???

What do you mean "upgrade the base sound system"? Are you saying that you are going to buy some aftermarket sound system or that you are planning on buying the bits to convert the base to a premium system? If so, you'd be the first I have heard of even considering something that extreme. If you ARE a TRUE audio-file and ambitious enough to pursue something like B&O or B&W audio, please keep us informed of what and how you do it.

PS - If you are even considering putting one of those HUGE-ARSE subs in the cargo space, you are not IMHO, an audiofile

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-29-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
What do you mean "upgrade the base sound system"? Are you saying that you are going to buy some aftermarket sound system or that you are planning on buying the bits to convert the base to a premium system? If so, you'd be the first I have heard of even considering something that extreme. If you ARE a TRUE audio-file and ambitious enough to pursue something like B&O or B&W audio, please keep us informed of what and how you do it.

PS - If you are even considering putting one of those HUGE-ARSE subs in the cargo space, you are not IMHO, an audiofile
haha, no I just mean Bavarian Soundwerks or custom components, with some new pilar and door tweeter inserts to increase the amount of speakers from the current 4 speaker + 2 sub setup in the 35d.

I've done some research, but still learning about my options with the X5. Definitely not crowding my cargo area with giant subs. Need space for the baby stroller
Old 11-29-2012, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
this is a good color from a detailing standpoint.

Black shows scratches too easily.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChips View Post
this is a good color from a detailing standpoint.

Black shows scratches too easily.
Yeah, thanks to the forums I realized this.

I was dead set on getting sapphire metallic until i read about the issues with black, and i've always wanted a dark platinum/titanium color in a vehicle.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:23 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:

CarFax was clean.
The CPO is the BMW "Gold Plan" extended warranty. IMO it isnt 'how limited'.

I'd go back at the GM and say "bad news, I found a CPO for $x. If you can do this for $2k more I'll pick it up". See what happens.

IMO it is worth 3k, unless you are a DIYer or married to a bmw master technician. Especially living int he bay area where owners are abu$ed.

Carfax is worthless. Recent damage may not have made it to carfax yet. Even a CPO might have repaint/repairs...fyi
Old 11-30-2012, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d, S4, V50 T5
Quote:
haha, no I just mean Bavarian Soundwerks or custom components, with some new pilar and door tweeter inserts to increase the amount of speakers from the current 4 speaker + 2 sub setup in the 35d.

I've done some research, but still learning about my options with the X5. Definitely not crowding my cargo area with giant subs. Need space for the baby stroller
Interested to hear what you come up with. I haven't found any feedback on the forums regarding the BSW upgrade in an X5.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMN View Post
Interested to hear what you come up with. I haven't found any feedback on the forums regarding the BSW upgrade in an X5.
I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, I did find this 2011 E70 basic audio upgrade. Check out Bavarian Soundwerks for their stage upgrades (supply is an issue).
Old 11-30-2012, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Great choice and nice looking X5!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: X5 5.0 + MSport
Hello!
I also purchased an X5 this past week. It's 2011 X5 5.0. The car many of the packages including M Sport Package. The M Sport comes with Sport seats. The only thing I don't like about this car is the seat colors and the fact that it does not have Contour seats. Is there anyway to swap/upgrade seats from MSport seats to possibly Contour seats or Luxury seating package. I called a local BMW service center and they told me that I may run into problems with electrical as the SUV may not have the harnesses necessary to upgrade to luxury or Contour seating package.

Does anyone know of any services who may be able to upgrade the seating on the X5?

Thanks,
Old 12-01-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX-X50 View Post
Does anyone know of any services who may be able to upgrade the seating on the X5?
Perhaps BMW NA can provide you seat upgrades, but expect to spend $5k or more. Some of the seat OEM part pricing can be found online under E70 model.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: X5 5.0 + MSport
Thank you! I'll look into this.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5
I love mine since I drove it off the lot 2 years ago. I have put a lot of miles on it, 52K more highway than city. I just bought the maintenance plan and warranty right before the 50K deadline. Ouch. But I want to keep the car a long time, and do not think I will pile up the miles as fast now that my son is out of college (500 miles away). I have heard that a few unexpected out of pocket repairs could be so expensive, and I just like the security of knowing that I should not have unexpected repairs with the car in the future. I would not buy extended warranty and maintenance till you have to.
The car has been a dream, the only problem I have had is brakes. They were replaced under the original warranty (no cost to me) at 30K.
I love the cold weather package. The only criticism I have of the car is seat comfort. They are a little hard. I also seem to get a lot of neck pain on long trips. I wish I bought the option the salesperson was telling me about that included the seats that 'hug' you a little more. I think that must be the option you have.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emh1960 View Post
The only criticism I have of the car is seat comfort. They are a little hard. I also seem to get a lot of neck pain on long trips. I wish I bought the option the salesperson was telling me about that included the seats that 'hug' you a little more. I think that must be the option you have.
Yes, I do have those seats, and they definitely keep you snug in the seat. Maybe your headrest isn't positioned optimally for your head and neck?

p.s. i ended paying for the extended maintenance and total care warranty. i know the dealer GM, and he gave me a good deal + a write-off because this is a business car. the RFT are covered as well, so i'm happy with the option.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5
Quote:
Yes, I do have those seats, and they definitely keep you snug in the seat. Maybe your headrest isn't positioned optimally for your head and neck?

p.s. i ended paying for the extended maintenance and total care warranty. i know the dealer GM, and he gave me a good deal + a write-off because this is a business car. the RFT are covered as well, so i'm happy with the option.
Yes, I cannot seem to find a setting with the neck rest that works well. I think I just have a giant head
Good luck with it! It is a lovely vehicle.

Last edited by emh1960; 12-11-2012 at 06:14 AM.