Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
One detraction of the DHP is you can out drive it if you push the car beyond the algorithms compensation- EG: fast switch backs + unsettling driving conditions + a combination of driving techniques. DHP is ideal for non-aggressive drivers that only push the car below 7/10ths; now if you don't know what this means google driving 10/10ths.

However, the M performance suspension solves this issue by upgrading the shocks/struts then disabling DHP if your car has it when installed.
I have driven mine with DHP pretty damn hard in some extremely tight switchbacks on canyon roads and I have never once felt it getting away from me or 'lagging' the road conditions. I've driven my motorcycles and older Audis with sport setups on those roads many many times and the DHP is the most fun to drive by far (well the bikes are more 'fun' but part of that is because they are scarier to ride there at higher speeds).

Now, am I pushing it beyond 7/10s? Probably not, but it would be foolhardy to do that on public roads in any event.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH
Quote:
One detraction of the DHP is you can out drive it if you push the car beyond the algorithms compensation- EG: fast switch backs + unsettling driving conditions + a combination of driving techniques. DHP is ideal for non-aggressive drivers that only push the car below 7/10ths; now if you don't know what this means google driving 10/10ths.
Do you have any actual evidence backing this claim?
Old 11-29-2012, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:

However, the M performance suspension solves this issue by upgrading the shocks/struts then disabling DHP if your car has it when installed.
Careful now. You're going to get DHP owners upset.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:48 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Lol, Justin. Just surprised how much upsell the DHP has been getting. But best to get the info out, that if you want M like suspension DHP is not the way to go.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766249

Check out this on-going thread of current F30 owners working with their BMW dealers in the US and Canada to get the BMW M performance suspension installed. 1 of the requirements for the suspension upgrade is to disable DHP, if you have this option, for the M perf suspension to work properly.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Anyone who bought the DHP and wants to swap it out for the m suspension setup is kind of a dumbass. Why pay for two suspensions?

I'm not going to argue with you guys that the DHP is probably not as capable as a completely sport oriented setup... I will argue that for 99% of drivers who don't track their cars or drive on the street like they are at the track it is probably the best suspension out there as an all around option.

There are also plenty of people who put all of the top end suspension/wheel/brake/exhaust goodies on their car, and still can't drive for sh!t.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:44 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
Anyone who bought the DHP and wants to swap it out for the m suspension setup is kind of a dumbass. Why pay for two suspensions?

I'm not going to argue with you guys that the DHP is probably not as capable as a completely sport oriented setup... I will argue that for 99% of drivers who don't track their cars or drive on the street like they are at the track it is probably the best suspension out there as an all around option.

There are also plenty of people who put all of the top end suspension/wheel/brake/exhaust goodies on their car, and still can't drive for sh!t.
Does this confirm my 7/10ths or higher DHP comment?

Sorry my purpose was not to bash on the DHP, just to clarify what you really get with it and what it's not meant for.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Does this confirm my 7/10ths or higher DHP comment?

Sorry my purpose was not to bash on the DHP, just to clarify what you really get with it and what it's not meant for.
I've repeated this information many, MANY times. I've driven the same road (Deer/Turkey Creek Canyon in Colorado, which each contain at least 20 or more very tight turns bordering on hairpins), which is a challenging road that I am familiar with with the following F30 cars;

1. My 328xi DHP equipped car
2. Dealer 328i with sport suspension
3. Dealer 335i with stock suspension

And the following "other" vehicles;

1. Yamaha R1
2. Suzuki SV650
3. 2000 A4 1.8t Quattro sport
4. 2004 A4 1.8T Quattro ultra-sport
5. 2011 Audi S4 Quattro 6MT without LSD.

My opinion is that for the driving that I did, the DHP did as well, if not better than the sport suspension and is definitely a more comfortable daily driver when it is put in non-sport mode and driven over harsh city streets or rough sections of highway.

Is my opinion as qualified as yours? Maybe, or maybe not. Others, including journalists, BMW sales people at events, etc, have also commented that the DHP suspension is excellent. Not a single automotive journalist who drove the DHP equipped car ONCE said that the suspension was inferior to the sport suspension in any way, that it lagged, etc.

I am not a professional driver. I don't take the race line on public roads because I've seen the bad outcomes that can happen (fellow motorcyclists being medivacced out by helicopter after pushing it too hard and getting into a wreck) when people treat public streets like a private track. I do consider myself an "above average" driver/rider who has been to a few track events.

For someone who is more performance oriented than I am and pushes their car very hard, then perhaps you are right, that the DHP is not good enough for those enthusiasts. Also, as I point out, some people THINK that they are better drivers than they are. I also know one driver who was a very very good driver, who still got killed because he did not understand that you can't drive on the street like you do at the track.

Last edited by voip-ninja; 11-29-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Are you just trolling at this point? Seriously, who the heck cries about not being able to use the stiff suspension settings while in hippie mode?

Nobody is claiming DHP is a race suspension, by the way, certainly not BMW. But av98 is the first person I've seen claiming that you can "push the car beyond the algorithms compensation," whatever the heck that even means, and like most people making odd-sounding claims out of the blue around here he's provided zero evidence to back it up. It wouldn't be the most stunning revelation in the world since it's an option for a street car, but so many people make so many bogus, evidence-free claims around here that you'll have to excuse my suspicion.

Last edited by sean10mm; 11-29-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
The DHP is amazing. It's not a full race suspension but it's not a full race car. Also everyone that gets it does not think it turns your car into a M3.

What it is ... A great dual personality option. More comfortable then the standard suspension and more aggressive then the Sport suspension.

This 7/10ths talk is silly and not accurate.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post
Are you just trolling at this point? Seriously, who the heck cries about not being able to use the stiff suspension settings while in hippie mode?

Nobody is claiming DHP is a race suspension, by the way, certainly not BMW. But av98 is the first person I've seen claiming that you can "push the car beyond the algorithms compensation," whatever the heck that even means, and like most people making odd-sounding claims out of the blue around here he's provided zero evidence to back it up. It wouldn't be the most stunning revelation in the world since it's an option for a street car, but so many people make so many bogus, evidence-free claims around here that you'll have to excuse my suspicion.

Last edited by justinnum1; 11-29-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: boat
mama said knock you out
Old 11-29-2012, 08:17 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Cutting and pasting my fav quote about DHP from the person who started this BF site. Probably have cut and paste this quote on every DHP thread multiple times already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shafer View Post
People might not like my honest answer. I didn't think it's necessary if you are after an "M3-type" feel... I wanted to build the 2013 version (or close to it) of my M3.. A lot of it is ///Marketing.
My 335i is totally fine (read: bitchen) without Dynamic Handling Package... The M Sport is great as-is. Perhaps if I was after a Luxury Line I might have gotten it,,
Old 11-29-2012, 08:25 PM

I don't take other peoples advice when choosing options for my cars. I drive it and build it for me. The dynamic handling package was a must buy for me but others it might be different. Just don't trust a dealers word. A dealer told me i would not like it just because he didn't have one.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:16 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildbright View Post
I don't take other peoples advice when choosing options for my cars. I drive it and build it for me. The dynamic handling package was a must buy for me but others it might be different. Just don't trust a dealers word. A dealer told me i would not like it just because he didn't have one.
We've had other threads about this and I already gave my opinion after I test drove both DHP & non-DHP versions. I believe your opinions on how good the DHP for the right environment and driver type. Just be utterly concise and clear about your experiences while exercising all situations. I won't reply to these DHP threads anymore as it's more exhausting to be objective with giving an opinion.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:52 PM

I think giving an opinion is fair but please know going on a test drive is not going to give anyone enough data to make a true determination. One fact is drive a sportline in a bad road with and without the DHP it will speak for it self.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildbright View Post
I think giving an opinion is fair but please know going on a test drive is not going to give anyone enough data to make a true determination. One fact is drive a sportline in a bad road with and without the DHP it will speak for it self.
I totally agree. Tracks are a very different environment than public roads. Any car that is driven both on the track and on the street is going to be a compromise and unless you are a totally masochist a dedicated track car is not something you will want to drive on the street. Cockpit adjustable suspensions are a great step forward toward making a car that is suited to a wide variety of road surfaces.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 11-30-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post
Do you have any actual evidence backing this claim?
Still waiting?

And nobody said DHP made the car an M3 clone. If you want an M3 spend the $60k+ and get an M3, that's what it's there for.