Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
I'm eyeing that Cayman as my next car. Love it. It may take awhile. Took four years to save for the M.
Did you ever run across a comparo of the Cayman and the E92 M?

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderSteer View Post
So we are sick of hearing that Beden has a Porsche but appaently are never supposed to tire of hearing about how much money you make, how sucessful you are and how jealous everyone is of you.

BJ,

For a guy who made a career out of ridiculing other peoples cars and calling E90s low status "family grocery getters" (on the E90 forum!) I think you are being more than a bit oversensitive. If you think this forum is where the "adults" hang out you may want to consider acting like one yourself. At times your behavior is childish, mean spirited and out of place on a car enthusiasts forum. It is not your role here to decide who can post in what forum and what they can post. If you don't like the way a particular thread is going you have the option of ignoring it rather than being a self appointed moderator.

I have several "old, out of style" cars and have no intention of buying an F30 although it is a car that I respect and a car that I am curious about. In the meantime I will post in whatever forum I choose until somone who has the authority to do so tells me I can't.

You have the ability to add useful content to these forums and can be very entertaining. I really think that for your own benefit and the benefit of everyone else here you should lighten up, tone down the pettiness and nastiness and channel your enthusiasm and energy in a more positive manner.
+1

BJ, if you can't take the heat, don't dish out so much of it.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:50 AM

Quote:
There's a Ignore button for a reason.
BJ is way too entertaining for that.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:38 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post

BJ, if you can't take the heat, don't dish out so much of it.
I don't want to keep the whining going as it is boring for everyone, but to clarify:

The heat I (and a few others) dish out has nothing to do with trying to enrage E46 and E90 owners. We have no grudge against you.

It is in response to E46 and E90 owners trying to enrage us. A few of you have a grudge against us and BMW. A few of you think that by making a mess of this forum that you're getting some "message" to Munich and BMW is going to "listen" to you. That's not the case. All you're doing is pissing off F30 owners in a forum that's designed for them to interact amongst themselves and share their enthusiasm for the new 3 Series.

I'm off the soap box; just cut the crap.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 11-29-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
I don't want to keep the whining going as it is boring for everyone, but to clarify:

The heat I (and a few others) dish out has nothing to do with trying to enrage E46 and E90 owners. We have no grudge against you.

It is in response to E46 and E90 owners trying to enrage us. A few of you have a grudge against us and BMW. A few of you think that by making a mess of this forum that you're getting some "message" to Munich and BMW is going to "listen" to you. That's not the case. All you're doing is pissing off F30 owners in a forum that's designed for them to interact amongst themselves and share their enthusiasm for the new 3 Series.

I'm off the soap box; just cut the crap.

BJ
Fair enough, we should put a moratorium on new Cadillac threads.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Fair enough, we should put a moratorium on new Cadillac threads.
No, we should put a moratorium on being able to blow up ATS threads. Lets just frikking grow up here and show the ability to have an open conversation about the comparison. Leave out all the other BS. It's undeniably a serious rival to the 3 series.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:56 AM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
Did you ever run across a comparo of the Cayman and the E92 M?
Nope. Two completely different cars for completely different purposes. I want to experience the full sports car experience.

Quote:
BJ is way too entertaining for that.
Some don't seem to see it that way.
Quote:
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 11-29-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Quote:
It's undeniably a serious rival to the 3 series.
I disagree. Like I've said before, our ATS demo is already creaky, rattling and the engine and brakes feel very tired. This is at 2,000 miles. At this isn't even mentioning sales of the ATS vs the F30.

I am very anxious for the day when the United States makes amazing cars that can compare to German automobiles. I think the ATS is a desperate, but good step in the right direction for the wrong manufacturer. Cadillac should be focusing on building the Ciel, not a plasticy XTS and ATS that they are trying to compare to the German competition.

/shrug

Last edited by Q. Senna; 11-29-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q. Senna View Post
I disagree. Like I've said before, our ATS demo is already creaky, rattling and the engine and brakes feel very tired. This is at 2,000 miles. At this isn't even mentioning sales of the ATS vs the F30.

I am very anxious for the day when the United States makes amazing cars that can compare to German automobiles. I think the ATS is a desperate, but good step in the right direction for the wrong manufacturer. Cadillac should be focusing on building the Ciel, not a plasticy XTS and ATS that they are trying to compare to the German competition.

/shrug
Not to hijack the Cadillac thread but I'm driving a new (2k miles) Dodge Challenger loaner car and I have to say I am very impressed with the suspension and the cockpit. The steering wheel is almost as nice as a Bimmer's. Don't like the 5sp Slushy though.

It is very quiet, no creaks or rattles either.

It is nice to see that the US is putting out something like that. I imagine the top end model with 470HP or whatever it is, would give an M3 a run for its money in the quarter mile.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
Quote:

/shrug
The day has come and Cadillac beat BMW at its own game. Thumbs up to GM.

Last edited by LegendsNeverDie; 11-29-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:09 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2010 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
Not to hijack the Cadillac thread but I'm driving a new (2k miles) Dodge Challenger loaner car and I have to say I am very impressed with the suspension and the cockpit. The steering wheel is almost as nice as a Bimmer's. Don't like the 5sp Slushy though.

It is very quiet, no creaks or rattles either.

It is nice to see that the US is putting out something like that. I imagine the top end model with 470HP or whatever it is, would give an M3 a run for its money in the quarter mile.
Challenger scared the crap out of me when I drove it. I felt like the thing wanted to crash at 60 mph when you tried to put to work. As long as you stay in a straight line, you're ok. Deviate from that, and make sure you're wearing a seatbelt.

Also, these American Muscle cars need a lot more HP to compete with BMW's. I test drove a Camaro SS (undewhelming boat? More like Behemoth house crushing tank). 426 HP and I think my 335 can take it down in a straight line fight. (add some curves and no doubt 335 would crush it). That's 126 more HP, and about 140 more torque, but you wouldn't know it by driving it. (4000 pound curb weight has something to do with that, I know) That's not to say the SS wasn't fun to drive. it was, and the V8 sounds great, but it just doesn't compare, and I'm not even talking about the interior, where the SS is god awful fugly.

American Muscle is puny to the power of German Engineering. That's just my opinion, and that goes for the original start of this thread. ATS could be superior in ever way to the 3-series and 20K cheaper, I wouldn't buy it.

BMWCCA #471315
Old 11-29-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfox335i View Post
Challenger scared the crap out of me when I drove it. I felt like the thing wanted to crash at 60 mph when you tried to put to work. As long as you stay in a straight line, you're ok. Deviate from that, and make sure you're wearing a seatbelt.

Also, these American Muscle cars need a lot more HP to compete with BMW's. I test drove a Camaro SS (undewhelming boat? More like Behemoth house crushing tank). 426 HP and I think my 335 can take it down in a straight line fight. (add some curves and no doubt 335 would crush it). That's 126 more HP, and about 140 more torque, but you wouldn't know it by driving it. (4000 pound curb weight has something to do with that, I know) That's not to say the SS wasn't fun to drive. it was, and the V8 sounds great, but it just doesn't compare, and I'm not even talking about the interior, where the SS is god awful fugly.

American Muscle is puny to the power of German Engineering. That's just my opinion, and that goes for the original start of this thread. ATS could be superior in ever way to the 3-series and 20K cheaper, I wouldn't buy it.
You must be delusional. Camaro SS would demolish a 335 stock for stock straight line and on the track. BTW I was born in Europe and owned German, Japanese and US made vehicles. German ones were by FAR least reliable.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate all of the factual and real life experience you have backing this statement.

Quote:
You must be delusional. Camaro SS would demolish a 335 stock for stock straight line and on the track. BTW I was born in Europe and owned German, Japanese and US made vehicles. German ones were by FAR least reliable.
A Camaro SS does 0-60 in 4.8 with real world results of around 4.9 or 5.0, and a 335i does 0-60 in 4.6 with real world results of around the same. Do your research before you come here stating 'facts' or calling others delusional. And on the reliability subject I can tell you, from constant personal experience, that Japanese and German cars are far more reliable and well built than domestics.

Cheers.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I completely agree! I think the Challenger cockpit is actually a pretty cool place to be. It's relatively big inside, has a soft ride and makes a great noise. I do however agree with jfox that it's not a performance machine unless you're in a straight line. But hey, that's what it's built for! Fun car.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate all of the factual and real life experience you have backing this statement.

A Camaro SS does 0-60 in 4.8 with real world results of around 4.9 or 5.0, and a 335i does 0-60 in 4.6 with real world results of around the same. Do your research before you come here stating 'facts' or calling others delusional. And on the reliability subject I can tell you, from constant personal experience, that Japanese and German cars are far more reliable and well built than domestics.

Cheers.

A Camaro SS does 0-60 in 4.6 seconds and 1/4 mile 13.0 @ 111 MPH and a F30 335 does 0-60 in 5.3 seconds and 1/4 mile 13.8 @ 103 MPH. See those are FACTS that are backed by a test (see links below). Real world difference is significant between the two, just look at the trap speed or 0-130 mph, not even close.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...an-test-review

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...-twin-bill.pdf

Last edited by LegendsNeverDie; 11-29-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:44 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
How about this.

Let's all pick the one specific feature of our favorite car that beats that same feature on every other comparable car (let's assume, even if for a moment, that there are actually cars comparable to our favorite car, because there aren't, but let's just pretend), then decide that the feature we picked is the only feature that matters, and declare our car the best because of that feature. Then, let's give the manufacturer of our car a thumbs up.

I think that would make for great conversation.

-Corey
Old 11-29-2012, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendsNeverDie View Post

A Camaro SS does 0-60 in 4.6 seconds and 1/4 mile 13.0 @ 111 MPH and a F30 335 does 0-60 in 5.3 seconds and 1/4 mile 13.8 @ 103 MPH. See those are FACTS that are backed by a test (see links below). Real world difference is significant between the two, just look at the trap speed or 0-130 mph, not even close.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...an-test-review

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...-twin-bill.pdf
We can post magazine reviews all day long that say your wrong but if really want to know, take your butt to a track or stoplight. I like the Camaro but its not blowing the doors off a F30 335i stock for stock. They are dead even, now a new GT Mustang now that would blow the doors off your 6.2 litter camaro with its small by comparison 302.

Ok here you go.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...trumented-test
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...5i_first_test/
Old 11-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
How about this.

Let's all pick the one specific feature of our favorite car that beats that same feature on every other comparable car (let's assume, even if for a moment, that there are actually cars comparable to our favorite car, because there aren't, but let's just pretend), then decide that the feature we picked is the only feature that matters, and declare our car the best because of that feature. Then, let's give the manufacturer of our car a thumbs up.

I think that would make for great conversation.

-Corey
I can fit more beer cases in our Honda Fit that our old 2007 E91. Plus it's super cute.

Honda.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:47 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendsNeverDie View Post
LOL.

The "game" is called "sales" and Cadillac is sucking wind on the ATS catastrophe. Beat BMW? Yeah, if BMW goes out of business they may stand a chance. Or if they run a 50% Off sale on all Cimmaron 2013 models.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 11-29-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildbright View Post
We can post magazine reviews all day long that say your wrong but if really want to know, take your butt to a track or stoplight. I like the Camaro but its not blowing the doors off a F30 335i stock for stock. They are dead even, now a new GT Mustang now that would blow the doors off your 6.2 litter camaro with its small by comparison 302.

Ok here you go.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...trumented-test
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...5i_first_test/
Yep, though if you drive both, the 335 "feels" faster. It may not be, but it feels that way. And if they are this close, that's doesn't say much for that 6.2L V8. Like I said, the SS was a fun car to drive, so I'm not going to dog it completely. I just marvel at how well engineered the 335 is.

On the mustang, I'd take a Laguna Seca as a weekender. Lol Brutally quick beast of a car. Ok, not all American muscle is puny. :P

BMWCCA #471315
Old 11-29-2012, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfox335i View Post
Yep, though if you drive both, the 335 "feels" faster. It may not be, but it feels that way. And if they are this close, that's doesn't say much for that 6.2L V8. Like I said, the SS was a fun car to drive, so I'm not going to dog it completely. I just marvel at how well engineered the 335 is.

On the mustang, I'd take a Laguna Seca as a weekender. Lol Brutally quick beast of a car. Ok, not all American muscle is puny. :P
I had a blast in the new camaro it's a torque monster. I actually thought the opposite the 8speed auto is smooth the 335i powerband is so linear it doesn't feel as fast as it is. Top End is a different story the 335i just keeps pulling.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Nope. Two completely different cars for completely different purposes. I want to experience the full sports car.
Gotcha. Would love to drive a Cayman one of these days...

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildbright View Post
I had a blast in the new camaro it's a torque monster. I actually thought the opposite the 8speed auto is smooth the 335i powerband is so linear it doesn't feel as fast as it is. Top End is a different story the 335i just keeps pulling.
That's true, the speed in the 335 is deceptive, it doesn't feel you're going as fast as you really are. And it is awesome how it just keeps pulling the faster you get. You can't go fast enough for it, it just wants more. Chews up twistys like its one with the road. I didn't sense the torque as much as you in the SS. I noticed it for sure, just not what I expected. I guess I expected a little more pull considering its specs.

BMWCCA #471315
Old 11-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
Gotcha. Would love to drive a Cayman one of these days...
The 2009 I drove literally drove like it was on rails. It's so nimble and agile. The only problem is the monthly payments were nowhere near what I'm paying for my M3.
Quote:
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:52 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
The 2009 I drove literally drove like it was on rails. It's so nimble and agile. The only problem is the monthly payments were nowhere near what I'm paying for my M3.
If it drove like it was on rails you weren't going fast enough.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians