Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-30-2012, 12:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2.0 2004
Hi, sorry to get back to that pretty old topic.
I have a small red navigation screen on my e83, would like to update to the big colorful screen 16:9. I have the DVD installed in the trunk.
Which parts exactly do I need?
Old 11-30-2012, 01:27 AM

Mein Auto: x3 2005
Hello

you will need the retrofit kit that contains
- 1 cable retrofit to install from the trunk to the dash board and fuse box
- 1 color screen
- 1 CID to replace the Business Radio/GPS in the dash board (optional - I personnaly use the Radio GPS business with the orange screen + color screen on board)

once you install all this,
you will need to update the firmware of the GPS /DVD player in the back of the car, to switch to professional GPS (with deported screen)
for this you will need a dongle + a software "Navcoder" or you can ask your dealer for updating your firmware, once all is installed.

good luck!
Dark
Old 11-30-2012, 01:50 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2.0 2004
Thank you for your prompt reply.
Can you please post a link to such retrofit cable so that I know what I should be searching for.
So, am I right that I can leave the small screen and then I only need the large screen + cable + firmware update?
Old 11-30-2012, 02:03 AM

man, I am in Europe too,
so try Google and Ebay
you have all key words in my reply

thx
Dark
Old 10-12-2013, 08:25 PM
I care my ride

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Question Broken Display. Solutions?

This is a great retrofit instruction. I am sure it has helped many people. I have a different need. My car's display just broke the other day. I think the led starts to leak and I get this big circle on my screen. This should only get worse by day, so I am thinking to get it fixed.

Since I am fixing this, I want to add some features to the whole system. I am thinking to add
-HD radio
-Bluetooth phone
-iPod via Intravee II
-Reverse Camera (nice to have)
-Sirius radio (nice to have)

My car's stereo control unit has a 'phone' button on it, but it doesn't have the bluetooth option to setup. I also don't have HD radio on this, but sna77 has it after his retrofit. I think I am missing some hardware.

Anyone knows what I need to buy to get this project going?
-Central Information Display (CID)

Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0784.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	401837   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0786.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	401838   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0794.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	401839  
Old 10-13-2013, 09:56 PM

Hello,

hard to reply from scratch, there are multiple possible options.
first, need to understand the archit. of the car to understand what you want to do:
for instance: reverse camera
or you go retrofit, or you add a specific devise between the GPS MK4 and the screen CID
if you go retrofit,
you will need a TV module (specific for your car, you need to find the serial number of the corresponding part on the site realOEM.com)
or eventually put a modern one, hybrid digital and analog.

for the ipod, same issue, multiple modules exists, that will show (or not) the title of the songs, and the playlists on the screen, (or not - depending on car version/year and price)
and so on ... so on....

I would advise for each feature to be installed, to check solution on google.
you may find comon parts, that should be your start point

good luck

Last edited by darkrider; 10-13-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:14 PM
I care my ride

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Thanks for your reply 'darkrider'. Back up camera and sirius radio are optional for me right now. The most important thing for me is to get the CID fixed.

Apparently people don't make them anymore, and realOEM.com are selling one unit for over 1000 dollars.

Do you know why my car doesn't have the HD radio and the phone function? What hardware am I missing. The stereo control has a 'phone' button, but that does nothing...
Old 10-13-2013, 11:31 PM

Hello there

RealOEM (as the name says) will point you to the original BMW part. they don't sell.
the site gives you the precise part you need, from the BMW catalogue, and they are not cheap!
but the site will give you the most important info - the corresponding serial number.
with this sezam, you shall go on eb... (eb... .de for german parts)
and look for the parts

a CID costs around 150 - 200 euros (second hand) (instead of 1000 euros new)

for the phone button, all cars with advanced strearing weel, and CID prof. will have the button available.
same for phone, you need the retrofit module, same goes for bluetooth etc....

same process:
1) identify the part you need from realoem
2) search for the exact part on ebay
3) buy,
4) install

nothing else, to be done, the on board computer (Dis +) will recognize the modules, the corresponding menu will then show up on the screen
Old 01-08-2014, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: X3 E83 2010
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by emergency_bg View Post
Hi, sorry to get back to that pretty old topic.
I have a small red navigation screen on my e83, would like to update to the big colorful screen 16:9. I have the DVD installed in the trunk.
Which parts exactly do I need?
I know this is a very late reply, but maybe this info will help others as well...

I have done the exact upgrade mentioned above on my 2010 E83 (replace small red screen in radio with colour LCD display on dash) - thanks to sna77 for all the very useful info originally posted at the top of this thread.

In this case, since the nav DVD and wiring is already installed, it's only necessary to fit the additional wiring required for the LCD display (CID). It's not absolutely necessary to buy the complete nav wiring harness (loom), it's possible to just add the missing wires to the existing wiring - you'll need some thin screened cable for the video signals, and some multi-strand hook-up wire for power and other signals. However, I decided to buy the complete harness, just to make the job easier, and because all the required connectors are provided with the new harness. (I bought the wiring harness from an Ebay supplier in Europe).

I did not replace the old harness, I simply removed the additional wires that are required from the new harness, and added them to the existing wiring. It's possible to remove the individual wires from the connector in the new harness, and then insert them into the existing connector at the rear of the nav DVD. This means you don't have to install any wiring to the fuse box, or behind the instrument cluster, in this case they are already connected.

If anyone needs the exact details of which wires are required, I can post the info here.

I bought a second-hand CID, and replacement radio (from Ebay), which work just fine, and so much cheaper than new units, and of course you gain a CD/MP3 player as well.

Once the hardware was installed, all I had to do was code the navigation system so that it directs the video signals to the LCD display, using the excellent NavCoder software and an interface to the car's K-bus, which you can either buy or build one yourself using just a handful of simple components. Note that in order to recode the nav system, you'll also need to reload the nav computer's OS - which is not difficult.

Well worth the effort!