Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-30-2012, 02:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
Getting lean codes/ misfire on 2004 X3

I have read most of the post about the lean condition on banks banks 1&2 and also the misfire codes. I have this same problem. My X3 misfires on 1,4 and 3. I have played musical coils (switching from working ones to non working ones) and it still is constant 1 and 4 misfire, most of the time 3 misfires also. I do mot have coolant in the oil, or oil in the coolant. My BMW has 145,000 miles with no engine problems until the last few weeks when this problem started. I notice when I first crank the X3 there is noises coming from the area of the DISA valve. It is like a knocking noise and sounds like a car doues when it is over heating. Could this be the DISA valve maybe sticking or broke? The noise seem to go away in 15-20 seconds but it has wistle or air rusing noise in that same area. I have read that the DISA valve is prone to break because it is plastic. I see there is a rebuild kit offered on ebay- has anyone had any experience with rebuilding the DISA?

I have an oil leak, I have about determined it is the oil housing oring. I have thought about replacing the CCV, intake tube, and intake oring when I replace the oring. Anything else I should consider changing when I have this apart?

Thanks for insight you may can offer!
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2012, 02:16 PM

Here are a list of codes that I have:
P0304 Misfire on #4
P0301 Misfire on #1
P0303 Misfire on #3
P0300 General misfire
P0171 Lean Bank 1
P0174 Lean Bank 2
P2240 O2 Bank 2 Sensor 1
P2237 O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0461 Fuel Level Sensor A
P0507 Idle Air Control System High than Expected

I began removing the intake syetem today. When I removed the DISA valve the flapper part was broke and fell apart as I pulled it out. I just ordered the repair parts to replace the flapper. When I got the intake boot off, I found that it has a hole in it where it bends to connect to the ICV. I also took out the ICV and it was stuck so I free it back up with brake cleaner.

I'm not sure what codes this will fix, but I think it is a good start. I plan on ordering the intake boot and CCV from Bavarian Autosports on Monday. I also have an oil leak from the oil filter housing area so I will order the oring to fix the leak. I also plan on removing the throttle body and replacing the gasket for it. Nad I will also replace the serpitine belt while I'm at it. Does anyone have any other part I may want to replace while I have it tore down?
Old 12-11-2012, 03:43 PM

UPDATE:
I replaced the CCV and hoses, replaced the Intake boot, cleaned the ICV, rebuilt the DISA valve, Replaced the throttle body oring, replaced the oil housing oring (it had turned to a hard brittle plastic), replaced the belt. Reset the codes and now get a code for lean on both banks and the fuel sensor code (after 40 miles of driving). All other codes are now gone.

I'm trying to figure out the lean condition. It must be minor since it takes a while to throw a code. I looked at the flapper on the muffler, the vacuum hose was broke at the nipple. Could this be the problem? Where does this vaccum hose come from?

I did not add any sealant to the DISA, I checked the DISA mounting with brake cleaner and got no change in idle. I'm assuming that it would not be the DISA?

Any Ideas?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
Wow, good job fixing what you did.

The rear flapper in the exhaust will not throw a code. Just cut an inch off the rubber hose and reattach.

Have you cleaned the MAF?
Have you replaced precat O2 sensors?
Old 12-12-2012, 03:06 PM

The work wan't hard, just very time consuming. I could probably do it in half the time with the tricks learned from the 1st time around. For example I fought with the CCV twist on connection for the top fitting when reinstalling the new valve. I ended up putting the top connector on the valve and then feeding the pipe up through the manifold hole. I wasted a good bit of time there. The other place I wasted time was when I reinstalled the alternator, get the bottom bolt started 1st then put in the top bolt. Just small things like that burn up time quick.

I have not replaced the O2 sensors. I have cleaned the MAF, it didn't look dirty. I do have a drop in K&N filter, that may be a problem?

Are there any vacuum lines that need to be looked at under the hood?
Old 12-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
With that amount of mileage I would change the Precat O2 sensors. You can get the Bosch ones really cheaply on Amazon. The manual says to change them at 100,000 miles.

Yeah, cvv is on my list of things to do. I keep putting it off because I'm not looking forward to it.