Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!

Mein Auto: 07 335i Sedan
Windshield wipers won't stop.

I could not find any posts regarding this issue. On my 2000 328i sedan, when ever your activate the windshield wiper, it will not stop until the ignition is turned off. When I move the stalk down, to activate a single wipe, it continues to function, although it does seem to vary in speed, ie, when the car is not moving it will actuate more slowly, once every several seconds. When the car is moving, it actuates more frequently, and actually responds to rain, and will actuate faster in rain, but it does not ever go off. Again, when I move the stalk up one click for continuous function, it works, but trying to shut it off doesn't work, it just keeps moving.
Any idea where to start for this problem?
Ads by Google
Old 11-29-2012, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323Ci Auto Vert
Do you have rain sensing wiper option? If so, just turn it off. I think the button is on the end of the stalk, but check your owner's manual.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:12 PM

That was an exciting thought, and I couldn't wait to get back out to the car to see, unfortunately, I don't have button at the end of the stalk. Managed to look up the manual, and the intermittent rain sensing option is just the stalk in position 1. So it should already be off. The problem is that when I use the brief wipe option, it does not go off after one or 2 wipes, it just keeps going.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
When they stop, do they park in the right place? If not, it may be that the switch that indicates when the wipers have reached the parking position has failed. This switch would probably be part of the wiper motor/transmission assembly.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323Ci Auto Vert
I assume by "brief wipe" option, you mean pressing down on the stalk momentarily, then it should wipe once and stop. But your's keeps going, right? Have you had any other malfunctions? Sometimes a weak battery will make the car do weird things, and if your battery is original, 5 years is about the time they start to go bad. Other than that, I don't know.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon53 View Post
I assume by "brief wipe" option, you mean pressing down on the stalk momentarily, then it should wipe once and stop. But your's keeps going, right? Have you had any other malfunctions? Sometimes a weak battery will make the car do weird things, and if your battery is original, 5 years is about the time they start to go bad. Other than that, I don't know.
That's right, it keeps going, and nothing else malfunctioning, battery just a year old. And it does park in the right position when stopped. It seems like some kind of control module is malfunctioning, just don't know what or where that is.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 325Ci + ZPP/ZSP/ZCW
First, the E46 doesn't have a button at the end of the wiper stalk for rain-sensing wipers, it just uses the intermittent position. Putting the stalk in the "off" position (0) should turn them off altogether.

Second, it sounds like your stalk has failed.

Alpinweiß 2005 325Ci
Spacegrau 2007 X5 3.0Si