Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Sport Line
So... are the latest run-flats really that much better?

Or do you guys still not like 'em?

My run-flats only have a few hundred miles on 'em, as I put snows on after only a week with the car.

So should I sell the run flats? Or put them back on in the spring?

For the record, I hate how the F30 has no room for a donut... which of course is a vote for the run flats. I'll be buying a donut for the winter (snows aren't fun-flat) and just deal with it in the trunk... but if I use the run flats in the spring I can take it out.
Ads by Google
Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
The newer generation run-flats are fine.

There are plenty of winter tire run flat options as well. Or you can risk no spare and just put a can of tire patch in your trunk.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
The newer generation run-flats are fine.

There are plenty of winter tire run flat options as well. Or you can risk no spare and just put a can of tire patch in your trunk.
Is the can of tire patch reliable enough to get you home? Does it still work if there's a nail in the tire?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:55 AM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
They've come a long way. Much more refined now then they were three years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by otonimus View Post
Is the can of tire patch reliable enough to get you home? Does it still work if there's a nail in the tire?
Generally they are designed to seal up the tire well enough that you can limp it home or to a shop. I don't know what the speed/range is on these products as I live in a largely populated area and have never needed to use it.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Generally they are designed to seal up the tire well enough that you can limp it home or to a shop. I don't know what the speed/range is on these products as I live in a largely populated area and have never needed to use it.
I keep a compressor in the car, so sounds like it'll get me home. Thanks!
Old 11-29-2012, 09:09 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Really depends on what you expect out of a tire. If you want the Michelin PS2/PSS performance then RFTs are only 60% as good even for the summer tires. If you want Michelin PS2 AS perf then the RFTs are 80% as good for AS tires.

Last edited by av98; 11-29-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
Really depends on what you expect out of a tire. If you want the Michelin PS2/PSS performance then RFTs are only 60% as good even for the summer tires..
Your opinion is not backed up by numbers. In fact the PS2 ZP and regular PSS are so close as to be indistinguishable in track situations. The numbers in the TireRack's tests show that the PS2 is a few percentage points behind in most tests, and as good or better in braking tests.

Last edited by floydarogers; 11-29-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Your opinion is not backed up by numbers. In fact the PS2 ZP and regular PSS are so close as to be indistinguishable in track situations. The numbers in the TireRack's tests show that the PS2 is a few percentage points behind in most tests, and as good or better in braking tests.
I don't think BMW ships with PS2 ZP, which would be nice

Can YOU post the link from Tirerack on the review YOU are referring to?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
FWIW,

I assume BMW has been refining their suspension designs in addition to the tire manufacturers refining their RFT designs. The suspension is a system, the tires are one component.

My 2013 335i xDrive, which I have driven with two different sets of RFTs, is light years ahead in ride quality compared to my 2006 330Xi, the first year for RFTs on the 3 series. Don't know how much to attribute to the Dynamic Handling option, but the ride quality in my new car is on par with my previous 2008 535Xi non RFT vehicle.

Thanks
Bruce
Old 11-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
I don't think BMW ships with PS2 ZP, which would be nice
Yes, they do, or at least did on the E9X cars. I don't know what the factory installs on F30s with the summer-tire option.

To the OP, yes, the latest run-flats are immensely improved. (You had options for winter run-flats also but as you've already bought the snows, it doesn't matter.) For my part, about the only ongoing beef I have with them is the expense. Prices appear to be falling slightly but you still pay a considerable premium for the run-flat capability.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 11-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Quote:
...Can YOU post the link from Tirerack on the review YOU are referring to?
PS2 ZP: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=158
PSS: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=162

Look at the actual performance tests (lap time, slalom, etc.) The subjective charts (noise, comfort, etc.) do show a preference for the PSS. And this isn't a review, it's TEST results.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:44 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Quote:
PS2 ZP: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=158
PSS: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=162

Look at the actual performance tests (lap time, slalom, etc.) The subjective charts (noise, comfort, etc.) do show a preference for the PSS. And this isn't a review, it's TEST results.
Thanks very helpful but at $434 a piece for 255/35/18 tires for the PS2 ZP vs $269 on the same size PSS, it's a no brainer which tire is better from a cost perspective.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Thanks very helpful but at $434 a piece for 255/35/18 tires for the PS2 ZP vs $269 on the same size PSS, it's a no brainer which tire is better from a cost perspective.
Ah, but the point is that you asserted that there was a huge performance gap, and there is not.

Run flats have come a long way. I expect price will flatten out on them a lot over the next few years till they only command a very small premium over non RFT tires.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:50 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Quote:
Ah, but the point is that you asserted that there was a huge performance gap, and there is not.

Run flats have come a long way. I expect price will flatten out on them a lot over the next few years till they only command a very small premium over non RFT tires.
Your statement is objective because, I haven't seen any F30 3 series optioned with PS2 ZPs; yes maybe on E9x but not on F30. However, pre-RFTs the PS1 & PS2s were standard tire options.

Comparably on performance if you compare the Bridgestone 050A RFTs which do come stock on the F30, they are still far behind the PSS non-RFTs. So unless they include PS2 ZPs as stock F30 rubbers, it's still about an 80% diff in perf; closer to what my assumption on the PS2 AS vs RFTs statement.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Comparably on performance if you compare the Bridgestone 050A RFTs which do come stock on the F30, they are still far behind the PSS non-RFTs. So unless they include PS2 ZPs as stock F30 rubbers, it's still about an 80% diff in perf; closer to what my assumption on the PS2 AS vs RFTs statement.
OK, but consider carefully what you're really arguing: That the performance of the Pilot Super Sport/Pilot Sport 2 is superior to the stock tire fitment on the F30. This is not exactly shocking because the PSS is arguably the most advanced summer-performance tire you can buy at the moment, with the PS2 only a little behind. Run-flat technology or lack thereof doesn't enter into it. They're just flat better than the Bridgestones.

For what it's worth, both tire models (PS2 and RE050) are available in run-flat and go-flat versions. The only valid comparison to support your argument is to compare RFT and non-RFT versions of the same tire. In the face of that comparison, as floyd pointed out the argument falls flat.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 11-29-2012, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
i just traded in my A4 which had conti sport contact DWSes on them.

my new 328i m-sport has runflats obviously and they are great. its somehow less harsh than the DWS (the dws are all season sport i guess).

but yeah can't even really tell they are runflats. a friend of mine when he had a 2006 325i sport pack and my mom used to have a non sport 07 328i, with runflats i remember it being brutally bad. but these new runflats... big difference.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:01 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2010 E90 M3
I honestly forget I have RFTs. My friend's 07 328xi however reminds you over every bump. I'd say they must be greatly improved.

BMWCCA #471315
Old 11-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Apay Kapoy

Mein Auto: 13 335i 02RSX5MT 06ML350
I have the Bridgestone Potenza S001 RFT, Max Performance Summer Tire and I can't tell they if they were RFTs. I rode in a 07/08 328i and it was rough and bumpy (the driver said it was the RFTs).
My 1st BMW-bought fr inbound inventory: Munich 2013 F30 335i, RWD, Alpine White, Black Leather, M-Sport Line/Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 403M (Potenza S001 RFT 225/40, 255/35 R19), Sport auto w/paddle shifters, Heated front seats, Harman Kardon, Aluminum Hex Trim matte EB accent, Anthracite headliner
Std: Xenon Adaptive Headlights/Sunroof/Alarm
Mods: Tint/DIY lower intake grill guard/ASS recoded
22K mi Jul14
Hergestellt in Deutschland
Old 11-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I have not driven an F30 and as everyone here knows I was a very vocal critic of the RFTs on my 335i. Our 750Li X-Driven has RFTs and they are not an issue at all.

I have not heard anyone on the F30 forum complain about the RFTs that come on the car. I suspect that it is a combination of the fact that the new RFTs are much improved and that BMW has gotten better at suspension design (for RFTs) with their newer models.

I think it is inevitable that in the future all tires will be RFTs (with perhaps the exception being some niche market very high performance tires). All things being equal I can't think of any reason why I would choose non RFTs over RFTs. The problem for me was that all things were not equal and the trade off in comfort and performance with the RFTs as implemented on my 335i with sport package was unacceptable.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 11-29-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:53 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Can we rename this thread the RFT LoveFest?
Old 11-30-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Can we rename this thread the RFT LoveFest?
It does appear to be a watershed moment. I don't recall seeing a thread before where RFT-bashing was the minority position--maybe the technology actually has advanced, at last!

Old 11-30-2012, 08:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyCMonkeyDo
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
I have the contis on for another day and they are great. Drove them obviously when took delivery in Munich and on the Autobahn I dont think anyone could have complained about the performance quality or drive quality of the tires. That being said, I am putting new wheel on the car on Saturday and besides the big size increase I am moving to the Hankook Ventus V12 tires and at that time should be able to give a somewhat skewed (due to the size change) review about the RFTs compared to non RFT super performance tires on California roads.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: '12 BMW 328, '11 Audi Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post

... maybe the technology actually has advanced, at last!

...or maybe we have just resigned ourselves to the fact that it is the way it is and commenting on them is not going to change anything.

I still think they suck (price, harshness, performance), but the way my wife use the car as a commuter they do their duty, plus I know she can limp home IF she has a flat that barely ever happens (touch wood).

For the current purpose the benefits outweighs the drawbacks, but if I was driving it, I would have changed the tires out for non-RFT and carried a fix kit (leatherman, reamer, gorilla snot, glue and pump) in the car as I do with my other cars.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
It's a night and day difference from the first generation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.