Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:15 AM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
Not minimum, but they said Great America was nearly a disaster, so use google earth to get a feel for that I guess? The Marina spot is like 500x1000 feet roughly.
Just from being too small or poor surface?

And I wonder about Altamont Raceway.........its officially closed but if we could get in there that would be insane. There are practically unlimited configurations and it was repaved not terribly long ago.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 11-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Too small. Surface was better than the 'stick, but not awesome.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 11-30-2012, 10:17 AM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Ok. Tell me if I'm crazy here, I need a sanity check.

We have 4 parking spaces at our house. 2 in the garage, 2 in the driveway. Then we have "community spaces" up the street. We have 4 cars. The M3 goes in the garage, and my roommate's Miata, which rarely gets driven. If we put two cars in the driveway, one has to be moved anytime I go to drive somewhere. I've told my GF I don't mind shuffling hers around, but she hates making me do it so she always parks up the street, and my roommate always parks in the driveway behind his Miata. Its sort of an unspoken agreement, a little unfair to her if you ask me, but they are roommates just like he and I are and its for them to figure out between themselves. When I buy a daily driver I'm sure I'll park up the street most, if not all, of the time.

So my roommate travels a lot, and almost every time he's carpooling with someone, he always leaves his car or their car in "his" spot in the driveway, which means my GF (who can't drive stick) still has to park up the street when she gets home before me, instead of not having to walk down the street in the freezing cold. The community spots do have a 48 hour limit, but they never get checked, and all he has to do is ask me to move it at some point over the weekend if he's going to be out of town for more than 2 days.

Its not that big of a deal, I realize its a trivial thing to get upset over, but we've discussed it so many times and it just keeps happening. I've rationally explained how I think it would be courteous to let my GF use that space since he's gone and not using it himself, and I've called him pissing mad when I've come home to a car left in the driveway, but neither tactic has any effect. And once again, he's gone out of town for 4 days and left his car parked in the goddamn driveway. At this point I feel like "sorry I just didn't think about it" or "its my space anyway so I didn't think leaving my car there was a big deal" is more like "I know this really pisses you off, so f*ck you"

Am I way off base? I just don't understand why you wouldn't take 2 minutes to move your car out of the way and let someone else use the more convenient space when you aren't going to be there for a better part of the week.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Need Some Low

Mein Auto: 1996 328is
$texas

Better?

The shot heard 'round the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
That presenter is getting waaay too worked up over a tarted up VW Golf.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
Old 11-30-2012, 10:27 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Quote:
Ok. Tell me if I'm crazy here, I need a sanity check.

We have 4 parking spaces at our house. 2 in the garage, 2 in the driveway. Then we have "community spaces" up the street. We have 4 cars. The M3 goes in the garage, and my roommate's Miata, which rarely gets driven. If we put two cars in the driveway, one has to be moved anytime I go to drive somewhere. I've told my GF I don't mind shuffling hers around, but she hates making me do it so she always parks up the street, and my roommate always parks in the driveway behind his Miata. Its sort of an unspoken agreement, a little unfair to her if you ask me, but they are roommates just like he and I are and its for them to figure out between themselves. When I buy a daily driver I'm sure I'll park up the street most, if not all, of the time.

So my roommate travels a lot, and almost every time he's carpooling with someone, he always leaves his car or their car in "his" spot in the driveway, which means my GF (who can't drive stick) still has to park up the street when she gets home before me, instead of not having to walk down the street in the freezing cold. The community spots do have a 48 hour limit, but they never get checked, and all he has to do is ask me to move it at some point over the weekend if he's going to be out of town for more than 2 days.

Its not that big of a deal, I realize its a trivial thing to get upset over, but we've discussed it so many times and it just keeps happening. I've rationally explained how I think it would be courteous to let my GF use that space since he's gone and not using it himself, and I've called him pissing mad when I've come home to a car left in the driveway, but neither tactic has any effect. And once again, he's gone out of town for 4 days and left his car parked in the goddamn driveway. At this point I feel like "sorry I just didn't think about it" or "its my space anyway so I didn't think leaving my car there was a big deal" is more like "I know this really pisses you off, so f*ck you"

Am I way off base? I just don't understand why you wouldn't take 2 minutes to move your car out of the way and let someone else use the more convenient space when you aren't going to be there for a better part of the week.
It's funny how little things can get the better of us when they come from people we live with.

Do you have the keys to this car? Politely ask, then move the car. Don't even wait for a response. If he responds "no", put the car back before he gets home. If he responds "yes" you're golden. If he doesn't respond, treat as if he said no (put car back before he gets home).

You'll only run into an issue if the car gets smashed into while it's on the street.

I feel your pain. When I lived in East SJ, we had 3 people, 4 parking spots, 7 cars (mine: 328iC, M3, X5; R1:65 mustang, 66 mustang; R2:330CiC, Celica) and a motorcycle. We had no major issues and just played musical cars.

I am a firm believer in a 'you get more flies with honey than vinegar' or 'kill them with kindness' attitude. You can get pissy and blow off steam to get what you want and feel better, but that only works out a few times before you ruin a relationship. Living with people is a touchy thing anyway, and of all the people to piss off, the ones you lock yourself in with while you sleep are the last ones I want to piss off. I'm not saying he's going to come into your room at night and slit your throat, but passive aggressive **** in your home is going to drive you insane way faster than dealing with a problem like this with some civility.

Good luck, either way.

Oh and PS: we had a similar gentleman's agreement to yours, but I gave R1 my spare keys to all my cars and he had permission to move them implicitly. He also had explicit permission to use the car given a good enough reason (except the M3...)

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by petriej; 11-30-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: P.S.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:29 AM
I feed trolls

Mein Auto: 3 series
Damn Joey, you're setting the example of what fighting in the 'burbs really means

I have no useful advice. If I were in your spot I would tell him to move the car or I'm dragging it with my truck and chain, but since you do not have that option...

RIP Ben "Jever" Doebele, we wont forget you

Please, call me Chadley

1997 328iS... HR coilovers, Brembo F40 calipers, camber plates, it needs a CUMMINS!!

1990-somethin Chevy K3500... Cummins, cab swap, 5 speed, and lots of motor work. 20 MPG, 40 PSI, 507 ft/lbs torque
Old 11-30-2012, 10:35 AM
King of Drone

Quote:
It's funny how little things can get the better of us when they come from people we live with.

Do you have the keys to this car? Politely ask, then move the car. Don't even wait for a response. If he responds "no", put the car back before he gets home. If he responds "yes" you're golden. If he doesn't respond, treat as if he said no (put car back before he gets home).

You'll only run into an issue if the car gets smashed into while it's on the street.

I feel your pain. When I lived in East SJ, we had 3 people, 4 parking spots, 7 cars (mine: 328iC, M3, X5; R1:65 mustang, 66 mustang; R2:330CiC, Celica) and a motorcycle. We had no major issues and just played musical cars.

I am a firm believer in a 'you get more flies with honey than vinegar' or 'kill them with kindness' attitude. You can get pissy and blow off steam to get what you want and feel better, but that only works out a few times before you ruin a relationship. Living with people is a touchy thing anyway, and of all the people to piss off, the ones you lock yourself in with while you sleep are the last ones I want to piss off. I'm not saying he's going to come into your room at night and slit your throat, but passive aggressive **** in your home is going to drive you insane way faster than dealing with a problem like this with some civility.

Good luck, either way.
Its not "street parking" just parking spots up the street, which isn't an actual street, its still in our neighborhood. He did leave keys, and I'm going to move it when I get home so my GF can park there this weekend and I have room to wash my car. I'll move it again on Sunday so there's zero chance of it getting towed.

I don't feel like I need to call and ask him because we've had the conversation at least 4 or 5 times. I've tried both honey and vinegar methods and neither have gotten me anywhere. I'm just having a hard time grappling with the fact that he's not doing it intentionally at this point, and I don't know how to continue discussing it in a civil manner.

EDIT: For the most part I'd say we co-exist pretty well. I'm sure we have habits that irritate him, like every roommates ever, but on the whole it works pretty well and we're still friends like before we moved in together. I'm not bullsh!t mad or anything (I did get completely bullsh!t when I asked him to not leave his friend's car in the driveway and came home on the same day to it in the driveway, but apparently he misunderstood and thought I was going to move it initially or something) but every other time we've discussed it I've tried to approach it rationally and fairly.

I've borrowed his cars when I need to, and he borrows mine when he needs to. I'm fine with him moving mine around without asking and I assume the same goes the other way around. At the end of the day I think it just boils down to courtesy, and that's what galls me. Why would you not take a minute to be nice to your roommates, especially ones that haven't challenged your unspoken monopoly on using the driveway spot?

Its not worth rocking the boat over anymore than I've already rocked it though.

Last edited by SlimKlim; 11-30-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:38 AM
I Am The Machine

Quote:
Too small. Surface was better than the 'stick, but not awesome.
Just had a brilliant idea....NUMMI has a practically unending asphalt lot for cars waiting to be transported. Since Tesla has acres of room inside the building I doubt they're using it. Maybe I'll give them a call and see if they mind some occasional enthusiast visits to their lot by BMW owners who might also get a hankering for Teslas if they're around them enough......

Joey, three thoughts.

One: If you have the keys to your gfs car, just have her park behind you in the driveway and move it in the morning, and put it back for her (you could even stick it in the garage when you leave for work as a nice gesture for frosty mornings - brownie points! ).

Two: if you're splitting the rent evenly, and he's getting both a garage and driveway spot, you need to correct your agreement. He should pay most for the parking privileges, you second since you get one garage spot, gf least since she has no off street parking.

Three: torch the Miata, it's gay.

// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 11-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
This is why I firmly believe you can only live with someone when you are in a relationship. Most times living with friends with ruin the friendship.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer App

Old 11-30-2012, 10:41 AM
still learnin'

Mein Auto: 1998 328i / 99 540iA
Wait--- maybe I missed this. But can't your GF park infront of your car? I understand that she feels bad making you move her car, to get yours out. But that is the easier solution rather than getting upset with your roommate.
Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 11-30-2012, 10:41 AM
I Am The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
This is why I firmly believe you can only live with someone when you are in a relationship. Most times living with friends with ruin the friendship.

Not always. Had a great relationship with the roommates in my second year of college. Freshman year was awful.

// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 11-30-2012, 10:47 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Quote:
Its not "street parking" just parking spots up the street, which isn't an actual street, its still in our neighborhood. He did leave keys, and I'm going to move it when I get home so my GF can park there this weekend and I have room to wash my car. I'll move it again on Sunday so there's zero chance of it getting towed.

I don't feel like I need to call and ask him because we've had the conversation at least 4 or 5 times. I've tried both honey and vinegar methods and neither have gotten me anywhere. I'm just having a hard time grappling with the fact that he's not doing it intentionally at this point, and I don't know how to continue discussing it in a civil manner.
I know it's cliché, but I took a class called Crucial Conversations, which basically came down to how to have conversations when the stakes are high, emotions are crazy, and both parties disagree.

You have to learn to take your emotion out of it, and be open minded to what is going on. You're convinced he's doing it on purpose, but that may not be the case. I thought the same thing with my current roommate, who appears to refuse to clean the kitchen. I gently remind him and even clean up after him some, but still, all my pots and pans are dirty on the stove, in the sink, hell, even on the floor! Calm and courteous beats aggressive and pushy, so I asked him calmly, why it seems like the kitchen is never clean. I asked if I'm doing something wrong, like not emptying the dishwasher, etc. to try to get his part of the story out of him. It comes down to laziness, and that's something he has to work through.

I tried the P-A stuff. I got home before he did and cleaned everything. All of our cookware (after I used it to make dinner) was in the dishwasher and he couldn't cook when he got home. It didn't make a difference. He just waited until it was done, then cooked dinner and left it all dirty in the sink again. People don't like to be taught lessons like that.

Be firm if you have to. Tell him if things don't change you will have to make different arrangements. Don't threaten, but explain the facts as you see them, and ask if he sees it differently.

Or do whatever you like. It's only advice. For all I know you'll never see this guy again after you or he moves out, so who cares, right?

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Needs Boost

Quote:
Not always. Had a great relationship with the roommates in my second year of college. Freshman year was awful.

Correct, not always. I think the worst is when two couples live together.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:53 AM
King of Drone

Quote:
Joey, three thoughts.

One: If you have the keys to your gfs car, just have her park behind you in the driveway and move it in the morning, and put it back for her (you could even stick it in the garage when you leave for work as a nice gesture for frosty mornings - brownie points! ).

Two: if you're splitting the rent evenly, and he's getting both a garage and driveway spot, you need to correct your agreement. He should pay most for the parking privileges, you second since you get one garage spot, gf least since she has no off street parking.

Three: torch the Miata, it's gay.

I've told her I'm completely and totally fine with moving her car in the morning, and these days we usually take hers when we go anywhere together anyway, but she hates making me move it and parks up the street anyway.

Each person pays for 1/3rd of the rent. We have the master bedroom which is absolutely colossal, and has a bathroom attached. His bedroom is pretty small, but we have a 3rd bedroom we use for extra storage and has his home office setup in there. I'm not sure how to define what's fair as far as parking goes.

Like I said I'm generally happy with living with him. I'd be fine staying in this house for another year or two, but if he decides to leave I have no interest in getting to know another roommate, so my GF and I will probably downsize to a place for just us.

This is the only thing that I've gotten worked up over because I feel like its such a small, nice thing to do for us, especially since we haven't challenged who parks where and he's obviously getting the far better half of the deal.

EDIT: As far as the kitchen cleaning thing goes, no one in our house is an angel about keeping it clean, and we rarely let it get out of control. He's probably the most diligent about keeping it tidy in there, but he's not the only one fighting the good fight. On the other hand, I almost always lead the charge on vacuuming and general house cleaning, but he does help out when he's around, so as far as I'm concerned we've found a pretty functional balance there.

Hell, she and I used to dominate the "good" size of our sectional couch, and we've even found an unspoken balance of swapping out who sits where, and we're pretty good about sharing groceries and general household items. I'd say 95% of our living situation runs pretty smoothly, this is the only thing that grinds my gears a little bit, so in the grand scheme of things I guess its not even worth the amount of thought I've already put in it today.

Last edited by SlimKlim; 11-30-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:03 AM
I Am The Machine

What's your gf's work schedule compared to yours? I realized something when I had both a driveway and garage to park in: there's not that big of a difference. When you leave when it's dark and come home when it's dark, the real damage is happening at work with the sun beating down on the car.Nothing is happening to it overnight. If you're in a safe neighborhood and the M3 is getting dailied anyway, just take the driveway and leave gf the garage. When you get a new daily, M3 goes back in garage, she gets the driveway spot and you park the daily on the street. Problem solved.

Or torch the Miata. It's gay.

// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
You're a derbanana

Last edited by E36 Phantom; 11-30-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:13 AM
still learnin'

Quote:

THIS

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 11-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Needs Boost

Yea what Chad said about the Miata.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:18 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

I read somewhere the Audi TT is the gayest car of all time.

Discuss.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-30-2012, 11:19 AM
I Am The Machine

That's incorrect. It actually tied with the Miata. The Fiat 500 is currently trying to take that title away, however.

// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 11-30-2012, 11:26 AM
King of Drone

Quote:
What's your gf's work schedule compared to yours? I realized something when I had both a driveway and garage to park in: there's not that big of a difference. When you leave when it's dark and come home when it's dark, the real damage is happening at work with the sun beating down on the car.Nothing is happening to it overnight. If you're in a safe neighborhood and the M3 is getting dailied anyway, just take the driveway and leave gf the garage. When you get a new daily, M3 goes back in garage, she gets the driveway spot and you park the daily on the street. Problem solved.

You know... that actually is a pretty good solution...

The only downside is instead of climbing into a sort of warm cabin when its been in the garage all night I'll have to freeze my nads off, but its a small price to pay for love (and a peaceful household)

My point still stands though, even if that was our arrangement, the nice thing to do would be to leave his car up the street and give us a shuffle-free weekend since he isn't going to be there. But I digress.

I guess next week we'll start putting the E39 in the garage.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Australia 2004.

P.S. the ad that displays on this page for my first load is the Mazda MX-5 (Miata) with the tagline: "feels like nothing nothing (sic) else"

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-30-2012, 11:28 AM
still learnin'

I just tried to buy M&M's from the vending machine here are work... I got a 3 Musketeers bar instead. Does eating it make me gay? because I really want some sort of candy.

thanksbye

too late. I ate it anyway.

I feel the urge to buy one of these now
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ctd/3430234758.html

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)

Last edited by TheFinanceGuy; 11-30-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:40 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 323is
Why is everyone hating on the Miata? I have a genuine love for the Miata. When I was shopping for my first car I when to look at 3 Miatas before settling for my BMW. Seriously if my parents had not demanded that I buy a car with a passenger air bag I would portably be driving a red 1990 Miata with matching hardtop.

Quote:
That's incorrect. It actually tied with the Miata. The Fiat 500 is currently trying to take that title away, however.

Ok is there something wrong with me because if someone told me that I had to buy a new front wheel drive car it would be the Fiat 500 abarth.

“We got about ten minutes before this entire county is up in flames. If you want to live, you’d better step on the gas! Oh wait is this a Tesla? Sh!t! Well, step on the prissy pedal, we're going to die!” – Cartman
Old 11-30-2012, 11:40 AM
King of Drone

Is it bad I really like the NC miata?

It's not much to look at, but its an RX-8 chassis with an engine that doesn't suck and is quicker than it looks. The interior quality is also surprisingly good and the transmission is awesome. Not a car I'd want to own for myself just because of the size, but they are a blast to drive.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:41 AM
I Am The Machine

Quote:
You know... that actually is a pretty good solution...

The only downside is instead of climbing into a sort of warm cabin when its been in the garage all night I'll have to freeze my nads off, but its a small price to pay for love (and a peaceful household)

My point still stands though, even if that was our arrangement, the nice thing to do would be to leave his car up the street and give us a shuffle-free weekend since he isn't going to be there. But I digress.

I guess next week we'll start putting the E39 in the garage.

Yeah, it's not quite as pleasant but (and this is gonna sound silly) the two things that I've always hated are parking on the street and dealing with door locks. I just hate having to put the key in the door and stand there opening it. So...I always go through the garage anyway. And the driveway takes care of parking on the street and dealing with door locks.

If something isn't high priority for me (or a number), I suck at remembering it. Maybe he just sucks at remembering and has other things on his mind when he's trying to get out of town. Have you asked him if he cares if you put his car on the street for him when he's gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinanceGuy View Post
I just tried to buy M&M's from the vending machine here are work... I got a 3 Musketeers bar instead. Does eating it make me gay? because I really want some sort of candy.

thanksbye

too late. I ate it anyway.

I feel the urge to buy one of these now
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ctd/3430234758.html
Already? Did you eat it or just breathe it in? Jeeeze!

// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Closed Thread