Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: X1 28i xDrive
X1 Driver Side Mirrors

Is there an issue with driver (left) side mirrors on these cars. I test drove an X1 and notified the dealer that the mirror could not be adjusted enough to the right (Could not see the car door).In fact it warped the mirror glass as I moved it to the right stop.
I ordered the car anyway and when mine came in, I have the same problem.

Going in for repair but two cars with the same problem seems strange. Anyone else with this problem?
Ads by Google
Old 11-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Why do you need to see the car door?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:41 PM

From a frame of reference perspective, how do you you know where the mirror is pointed if you can't see the edge of the car?
Old 11-30-2012, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlova View Post
Is there an issue with driver (left) side mirrors on these cars. I test drove an X1 and notified the dealer that the mirror could not be adjusted enough to the right (Could not see the car door).In fact it warped the mirror glass as I moved it to the right stop.
I ordered the car anyway and when mine came in, I have the same problem.

Going in for repair but two cars with the same problem seems strange. Anyone else with this problem?
It's not a car problem...it's a "your perception" problem. Adjusting mirrors correctly to reveal what's in the lane(s) next to you is simple. The general idea is to not have the side view mirrors overlapping the rear-view mirror.

However, getting used to it may take some time. But give it a chance and you'll soon realize that it works. I could explain it myself but this link will do it better.

Like I said, give yourself a chance to get used to it and you will see more than you ever have.

http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
Recover
Rehab
Rehome
Rewarding
'13 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch
Old 11-30-2012, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
If you can see the door handle on your side view mirror, then you have a blindspot esp when switching lanes.

I know this bec I used to set my mirrors the same way like you do. Not amymore. I feel safer with lane changes now.

Last edited by CanadianDriver; 11-30-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
It's not a car problem...it's a "your perception" problem. Adjusting mirrors correctly to reveal what's in the lane(s) next to you is simple. The general idea is to not have the side view mirrors overlapping the rear-view mirror.

However, getting used to it may take some time. But give it a chance and you'll soon realize that it works. I could explain it myself but this link will do it better.

Like I said, give yourself a chance to get used to it and you will see more than you ever have.

http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/
Best part of this article is the fighting back and forth in the comments section
I personally adjust mine similar to what the article states.
2003 330cic Jet Black / Natural Brown - retired
2001 X-5 3.0 Titanium Siver /Black - retired
BMW CCA Member
Old 11-30-2012, 02:15 PM

These are all wonderful suggestions on proper mirror setup. And I will try them out to see if they are better than what I have been using for the last 40 years.

However, the point of this thread was that the driver side mirror on my car does not have sufficient side to side travel. And since this was the second X1 that I noticed this on, I wanted to see how widespread this was. Whether or not I should be looking at the door, I still should be able to move the mirror enough to see the door.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 3.5d on order
Quote:
These are all wonderful suggestions on proper mirror setup. And I will try them out to see if they are better than what I have been using for the last 40 years.

However, the point of this thread was that the driver side mirror on my car does not have sufficient side to side travel. And since this was the second X1 that I noticed this on, I wanted to see how widespread this was. Whether or not I should be looking at the door, I still should be able to move the mirror enough to see the door.

Thanks in advance.
I agree. I noticed the same thing when I got a car. Now I am used to a new position but still think that they should have more travel.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Part of this design hiccup probably has something to do with the fact that European vehicles don't have a flat exterior mirrors like the US requires. Since their mirrors are convex (and aspheric on the outer edge), the engineers' probably thought a certain angle of adjustment was sufficient for their mirrors, when with a flat mirror it isn't.

Kinda like how on the earlier E90-93 models, the smaller exterior mirrors had irritating blind spots with the flat glass even when adjusted properly (as mentioned in the article above). Completely fixed with the Euro-spec glass when I put it on my mom's 325i.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigor111 View Post
I agree. I noticed the same thing when I got a car. Now I am used to a new position but still think that they should have more travel.
Hmmmm. Strange that I drove plenty of other European (non-BMW) cars that did not exhibit this issue. Anyhow, it's going in for service on Tuesday. I'll let you know what the BMW techs have to say.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: X1 sDrive28i
Had the same problem with my new X1. You can somewhat remedy the problem by pushing at the mirror with your finger. I had my dealer take a look at the mirror and it seems fine now. Not sure what they ended up adjusting or replacing. I feel that there was also some weird distortion in my original mirror.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Maybe something to do with seating position etc. that makes it difficult to adjust the mirror correctly. I use, and have always used, the method recommended in the link to adjust my door mirrors and the X1 mirrors seem to be able to accommodate both my wife and I with no problems albeit the drivers side is at the maximum clockwise position (when viewed from above the mirror) or very nearly.

2012 Space Grey 528i MSport
2013 Valencia Orange X1 xDrive28i
Old 12-01-2012, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 35i
I have no problem with the drivers side mirror, I can adjust to where I can almost see myself in the side window (just went and tried it), it should be nowhere near that unless you are gangster leaning way to the right.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP49 View Post
I have no problem with the drivers side mirror, I can adjust to where I can almost see myself in the side window (just went and tried it), it should be nowhere near that unless you are gangster leaning way to the right.
Ohhhh, you mean I'm NOT supposed to be sitting on the passengers side when driving?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 35i
Quote:
Ohhhh, you mean I'm NOT supposed to be sitting on the passengers side when driving?
I've seen some people driving almost that far over lol.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:20 PM

Well, the car went in for service today.
Good news is that I was right, the mirror is pooched and they will replace it under warranty. Bad news is that it has to come in from Germany. Won't be in for two weeks.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1
I just picked up my X1 today and noticed the same problem!!! I thought there was just something wrong with the test car when I drove that but mine has it as well. I guess I'll be taking it back to BMW on Wednesday to get looked at... not even 2 hours home with the car and I have to take it in for service. whoopee.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Well, the car went in for service today.
Good news is that I was right, the mirror is pooched and they will replace it under warranty. Bad news is that it has to come in from Germany. Won't be in for two weeks.
The good news is that the mirror was replaced with a new one. The bad news is it's only marginally better. In my opinion, there is still not enough travel to the right. I should be able to at least move it enough to see the door handle which I can't if I'm centered in the seat. Judging by the responses in this thread, they are all like that.

I guess the BMW engineers know what's best for us (or someone messed up).

Oh, by the Way "Happy New Years!"
Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Quote:
Haha, that's a good one!!!

Last edited by arsous; 01-02-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: soon to be X1
Just picked up our new X1, and ran into the same problem. Not a good start. Do they do QA on these cars?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee View Post
Just picked up our new X1, and ran into the same problem. Not a good start. Do they do QA on these cars?
Unfortunately, I think this is not a QA issue but a design fault. My mirror was replaced, but the new one is the same.

Based on your seating position and your height, the issue may be minimized, so not everyone notices this. But me being 5'9" tall forces me to position the mirror where it has the least amount of travel.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: soon to be X1
Quote:
Unfortunately, I think this is not a QA issue but a design fault. My mirror was replaced, but the new one is the same.

Based on your seating position and your height, the issue may be minimized, so not everyone notices this. But me being 5'9" tall forces me to position the mirror where it has the least amount of travel.
Kind of hard to believe, since the X1 is BMW's 'world car'. This car is produced and sold in China and India among other places. You'd think BMW would have tested this car on somebody under 5'8".
Old 01-10-2013, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: X1
Quote:
But me being 5'9" tall forces me to position the mirror where it has the least amount of travel.
I'm 5'9" and have no problems with the side mirror position and seeing whats around the car. My seating position may be different than yours.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfex View Post
I'm 5'9" and have no problems with the side mirror position and seeing whats around the car. My seating position may be different than yours.
Wolfex:

How far can you move your mirror to the right? In my Subaru, while seated in a comfortable drivers position, I can move it so far that all I see is the car window.
In my X1, I can't move it enough to the right to see the window or drivers side door.

If I move the seat all the way back, the angle is better for me but then my feet can't reach the pedals.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
I feel like I've asked this before: Why do you need to see the driver's side door? I guess I just adjust mirrors to see traffic, not my own vehicle. A bit of my rear quarter panel is all I need to see.