Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Bimmagirl Bimmagirl is offline
Registered User
Location: Ontario
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 2013 335is Cabriolet
Performance in snow

I want to get an M3 but I'm worried about how it will handle in snow. I can get winter tires, I know, but my friends tell me that it will be difficult, with all that HP, to control it in snow. For this reason, and this reason only, I am considering a 335is (which I really don't want to do as it looks just like my 328i). What is your experience?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 12-01-2012, 05:01 AM
MMME30W's Avatar
MMME30W MMME30W is offline
Super Moderator
Location: On The Move
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 14,185
Mein Auto: 2009 W906
?

You can get in trouble in any car with the wrong winter tire.

You can get through about any reasonable situation in any car with the right winter tire.

I don't think this is a reason not to get an M3, providing it works for you in all other respects.

What was your test drive in the M3 like?
__________________
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.”

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-01-2012, 07:56 AM
Chuck W.'s Avatar
Chuck W. Chuck W. is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Agoura Hills (LA) CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 956
Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
With your concern, you will be much better off in an M3 than someone in a Camry that has no concern. Just put the right tires on it and drive with caution.
__________________
2012 BMW 535I 24,000 Miles
ED Pick Up on 12/03/2011; US Pick Up on 01/27/1012
Alpine White, M Sport, Blk Nappa, Cold Weather, Luxury Seating, Premium, Premium Sound, Tech, Sports Trans, Active Cruise, Heads-Up

Mods - Quad Exhaust Tips, HID Fog Lights, Clear Front Reflectors, M5 Spoiler, Calipers Painted Black, 12.5 mm Rear Wheel Spacers, Tint - 5% Rear, 35% Front & 50% Windshield - BlackVue DR500GW Dash Cam, Blendmount for Valentine One

Coding by tuesday (aka; itschase) (Chase)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-01-2012, 08:29 AM
MRV99 MRV99 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,082
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
You may not be able to drive like a 4x4 but you will have no problems with good snow tires. I drove my 540, 545 and 550 with snow tires with no issues at all. You will learn that in 2-3 inches snow, you will need to turn off traction control(to get the wheels going) and start in second gear. I have not had my M3 in the snow yet but I am not worried
__________________
12 X5 50i Sport
11 M3 DCT
11 X5 50i (lemon)
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500

Last edited by MRV99; 12-01-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Bimmagirl Bimmagirl is offline
Registered User
Location: Ontario
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 2013 335is Cabriolet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
?

You can get in trouble in any car with the wrong winter tire.

You can get through about any reasonable situation in any car with the right winter tire.

I don't think this is a reason not to get an M3, providing it works for you in all other respects.

What was your test drive in the M3 like?
It was everything I thought it would be and more! Handled like a true beauty. It was -1C in Toronto today and even with the 19in summer tires, the tires still gripped the road well. We drove around a lot of corners on small city roads, some smooth, some just plain bumpy and in need of maintenance. Monday we drove on the highway. Both experiences were great. And how about that dead stop when you hit the brakes hard? This machine could get a gal in trouble!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-01-2012, 05:50 PM
FlyingLow78 FlyingLow78 is offline
Driving on instruments
Location: North Carolina
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 155
Mein Auto: 2015 M3
It's amazing how much of a difference good snow tires can make (and I'm not talking all-seasons, either). You'll be fine in an M3 if you drive conservatively.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Bimmagirl Bimmagirl is offline
Registered User
Location: Ontario
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 2013 335is Cabriolet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
You may not be able to drive like a 4x4 but you will have no problems with good snow tires. I drove my 540, 545 and 550 with snow tires with no issues at all. You will learn that in 2-3 inches snow, you will need to turn off traction control(to get the wheels going) and start in second gear. I have not had my M3 in the snow yet but I am not worried
Thanks for that tip. I'll have to remember that.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-01-2012, 06:49 PM
MMME30W's Avatar
MMME30W MMME30W is offline
Super Moderator
Location: On The Move
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 14,185
Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmagirl View Post
It was everything I thought it would be and more! Handled like a true beauty. It was -1C in Toronto today and even with the 19in summer tires, the tires still gripped the road well. We drove around a lot of corners on small city roads, some smooth, some just plain bumpy and in need of maintenance. Monday we drove on the highway. Both experiences were great. And how about that dead stop when you hit the brakes hard? This machine could get a gal in trouble!
Awesome. We have relatives near London, but we visited them in July.

Sounds like an M3 with winter tires is in your future. Good luck...
__________________
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.”

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-02-2012, 03:47 AM
nhman nhman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northeast
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 630
Mein Auto: 2013 M3 coupe ZCP DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmagirl View Post
I want to get an M3 but I'm worried about how it will handle in snow. I can get winter tires, I know, but my friends tell me that it will be difficult, with all that HP, to control it in snow. For this reason, and this reason only, I am considering a 335is (which I really don't want to do as it looks just like my 328i). What is your experience?
Agree with others, with a good set of winter tires you should be fine. If anything the issue would be ground clearance. However, this would impact the 335is as well.

I don't (yet) own an M3 but past vehicles have included BMW 530i, IS350 and M45. All were the sport models and with a winter setup, I never had an issue with driving in the elements.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Bimmagirl Bimmagirl is offline
Registered User
Location: Ontario
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 2013 335is Cabriolet
Thanks everyone. I'm sold. The M3 WILL be my next purchase. I'll be sure to upload a picture when I get it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-03-2012, 05:27 PM
CliffJumper CliffJumper is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 616
Mein Auto: 09 M3 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmagirl View Post
I want to get an M3 but I'm worried about how it will handle in snow. I can get winter tires, I know, but my friends tell me that it will be difficult, with all that HP, to control it in snow. For this reason, and this reason only, I am considering a 335is (which I really don't want to do as it looks just like my 328i). What is your experience?
LOL... I was with you (to some extent) until I read this last line. If anything the M3 is easier to drive in the snow because it has less low end torque and a very linear throttle delivery.

If your two choices are an M3 vs. 335is for snow duty, I'd definitely pick an M3 (I've owned both an M3 and 335i at the same time). The M-dynamic mode for partial traction control is also quite helpful.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Bimmagirl Bimmagirl is offline
Registered User
Location: Ontario
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 2013 335is Cabriolet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffJumper View Post
LOL... I was with you (to some extent) until I read this last line. If anything the M3 is easier to drive in the snow because it has less low end torque and a very linear throttle delivery.

If your two choices are an M3 vs. 335is for snow duty, I'd definitely pick an M3 (I've owned both an M3 and 335i at the same time). The M-dynamic mode for partial traction control is also quite helpful.
Seriously? I never would have guessed that. Well, I'm happy with all of these responses. And when I was in on Saturday, I spoke with 2 persons (one a customer and one the owner) who drove M3s. The one guy had brought in his car to put winter tires on. He told me it was challenging but he hasn't had any problems in 4 years. As you can see, I'm doing my research.

You know, I had some remorse after posting this thread. I saw some of the other M3 posts and responses and thought for sure I'd get slaughtered. I mean, who buys an M3 and worry about snow conditions? I thought I was going to get hammered for sure. Happy my fears were unfounded.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-03-2012, 06:39 PM
MMME30W's Avatar
MMME30W MMME30W is offline
Super Moderator
Location: On The Move
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 14,185
Mein Auto: 2009 W906
M3 is a great daily driver. If I lived up north I'd have no problem in winter with a good set of snows and a couple sandbags in the trunk.
__________________
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.”

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Bimmagirl Bimmagirl is offline
Registered User
Location: Ontario
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 2013 335is Cabriolet
How do I say this - it seems, from another post I saw (the driver posted a clip of him in his souped (sp?) up 335i racing his buddy in his M3) and from some of the reviews that I've read, that the M3 is relatively slow starting off. (It picks up speed and will blow past other cars in no time though) So, here's my question, if you start off from a stop sign or light sensibly / not flooring the gas, and you never suddenly accelerate (I know from the test drive that it can stop on a dime), why would the car ever spin out / fish-tail ... on you simply because it's a powerful car? Certainly, during my 2 test drives (one on city roads and one on the highway), I did not feel intimidated at all. My friends tell me with that amount of hp I wouldn't be able to handle it. These friends are all guys. Is there some truth to what they're saying or are they just trying to get me to let them drive the car once I get it? :-)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Bimmagirl Bimmagirl is offline
Registered User
Location: Ontario
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 2013 335is Cabriolet
Here's another question - what do you think of the 2014 M3? The 2013 would be designed for me and ready for delivery in or about April, 2013. The 2014 M3s come out later in the year. If you were in my shoes, would you wait to buy the 2014?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-03-2012, 07:03 PM
tsbrown tsbrown is offline
Go Tigers!
Location: Derby City
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 241
Mein Auto: '11 M3 sedan
I'm going into a 3rd winter with my M3 and have always had Wintersport 3D snow tires. The M3 with snow tires does better in snow than our Q7 with all-season tires. Start with the right tires then conservative driving appropriate for the conditions.
__________________

Bluegrass Bimmers
2011 E90 M3 Space Gray/Fox Red/6MT/PP/CWP/EDC/PDC/Sirius/Rear Sunshade

2005 330i ZHP (sold)
2001 X5 3.0 PP/auto (sold)
2000 528i Sport/PP/5MT (sold)
1998 528iA Premium (sold)
1997 740i (sold)
1993 318is (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Bimmagirl Bimmagirl is offline
Registered User
Location: Ontario
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 2013 335is Cabriolet
Good winter tires (thankfully, no run flats on the M3) and couple of sandbags in the trunk. Got it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Bimmagirl Bimmagirl is offline
Registered User
Location: Ontario
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 2013 335is Cabriolet
Since you guys have been so kind to me, what the hell, let me ask another question - have any of you picked up the car at the factory / do you recommend this experience? Or would you put the money towards the downpayment instead?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-04-2012, 03:51 AM
nhman nhman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northeast
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 630
Mein Auto: 2013 M3 coupe ZCP DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmagirl View Post
Since you guys have been so kind to me, what the hell, let me ask another question - have any of you picked up the car at the factory / do you recommend this experience? Or would you put the money towards the downpayment instead?
By factory are your referring to Euro and/or Performance Center Delivery (PCD)? I don't yet own an M3 but will be ordering one in January. For this one, I am strongly considering PCD. It is free minus the airfare and trip home (gas, hotel, etc). If Euro, there is a further discount from standard invoice which can offset some of the cost associated with travel. How much will depend on your length of stay. Some go over and back in 2 days. Others combine a business and/or vacation for 1-2 weeks.

There are plenty of posts on both experiences. Search the forum and/or the internet. While I'm sure there is one or two bad experiences, I haven't come across one yet.

Regarding the down-payment, if leasing, only use the money for MSD's to lower the money factor (i.e. interest rate). Otherwise it is your comfort level of payment. Interest rates are still low. Contact a credit union for 1.25-2% 48-72 months. However, I believe BMW's Holiday Credit is only valid if financing with them. Something to consider.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-04-2012, 06:39 AM
Bimmagirl Bimmagirl is offline
Registered User
Location: Ontario
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 2013 335is Cabriolet
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhman View Post
By factory are your referring to Euro and/or Performance Center Delivery (PCD)? I don't yet own an M3 but will be ordering one in January. For this one, I am strongly considering PCD. It is free minus the airfare and trip home (gas, hotel, etc). If Euro, there is a further discount from standard invoice which can offset some of the cost associated with travel. How much will depend on your length of stay. Some go over and back in 2 days. Others combine a business and/or vacation for 1-2 weeks.

There are plenty of posts on both experiences. Search the forum and/or the internet. While I'm sure there is one or two bad experiences, I haven't come across one yet.

Regarding the down-payment, if leasing, only use the money for MSD's to lower the money factor (i.e. interest rate). Otherwise it is your comfort level of payment. Interest rates are still low. Contact a credit union for 1.25-2% 48-72 months. However, I believe BMW's Holiday Credit is only valid if financing with them. Something to consider.
Thanks. Enjoy the trip, if you do take it and enjoy the new ride when you get it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms