Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
No leaks or problems with my '11 convertible top.

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet; '11 BMW E93 335is; '08 BMW E60 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget
Old 11-30-2012, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i E93
No problems with my 2012 at 4500 miles... I've been following Kat's origami top care guide, and all is well so far. :-)

2012 335i E93 Le Mans Blue | Saddle Brown | M Sport | Convenience | Cold Weather | Premium | PCD 7/19/12
Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 PM
flâneur en cabriolet

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 N54
2007 with 47,000 miles on it, bought it CPO 16 months ago with 32,000 miles. 04/07 build.

Not a single problem with the top, no leaks, noise, nothing. Periodically lube the mechanisms and treat the seals. Top gets cycled up/down at least daily 9 months of the year.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:55 AM

Mein Auto: 330CiC
Great News Guys!

Your responses are precisely what I was looking for. A straw poll to be clear....and attribute at that....but still great to hear that BMW has not gone to hades with the cabriolet.

I have friends and colleagues that work at the Spartanburg, SC plant and I've guest lectured to one of their LSS Black Belt classes (I'm a Master BB). I know a few of their MBBs as well. So, its good to know that this issue is not as chronic as some might suggest.

I think that the acid test will be to take it through a car wash....although the only time that I do that is after we've had a snow event and there has been salt on our roads. I do live in the mountains and we do get some winter impact...nothing like the northeast or midwest...but it does happen. So if I drive after a snow event, I like to get the undercarriage clean and that requires the auto car wash.

You input is as I thought it would be....some probs....but the lion's share happy.

I also suspect that keeping the gaskets well moisturized is a key.

I'm a little concerned about the relays....but relays do go bad.

And BTW...your photos of your Cabs are gorgeous. You're helping me to get off the dime (or tens of thousands as it were) on my purchase decision.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:07 AM

[QUOTE=Nordic_Kat;7224189]Hi DJ,

Mine is a July 2009 (pre-LCI) build, took delivery Aug 2009.

Thaks Kat. BTW...your car is nice.

But what Mfg Dates are Pre and Post LCI?? Gotta know dat data nugget.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBass View Post
BTW...your photos of your Cabs are gorgeous. You're helping me to get off the dime (or tens of thousands as it were) on my purchase decision.

Let's mention cargo capacity.

E93's top consumes a major part of truck space, leaving little....what remains is not real easy to access.

So, we flip the rear seatback down - it's carpeted in back. Rear seat's now a spacious parcel & luggage shelf. Top down it's much more convenient than truck space - if you consider yer E93 as an extended wheelbase roadster you got it - only a masochist would want rear seating in this car. OTOH, dogs love it!
Old 12-01-2012, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: 328i Monaco Blue 'vert
Another happy E93 user. No leaks here ever. I do follow Nordic Kat/FuntoDrive's lubrication steps religiously...

Did have a rattling issue but was quickly fixed by the dealer.
Otherwise, happy camper.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
....input is as I thought it would be....some probs....but the lion's share happy.

If E93, ya gotta have the wind deflector.

Expensive but otherwise big big big benefit.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E82 & 2012 E93
Here is mine 2012 Apr production 4900 miles no leaks but just rattle & squeaks noise drove me crazy and it's only occured during cold temp in evening.

2006 E90 ( Sold )
2001 E46 ( Sold )

My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Old 12-01-2012, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E82 & 2012 E93
2006 E90 ( Sold )
2001 E46 ( Sold )

My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Old 12-01-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

The E93 has very little wind noise and highway thumping with the top down compared to most other convertibles I've driven. I still can't see the need for the wind deflector.

Current Stablemates:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget
Old 12-01-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
The E93 has very little wind noise and highway thumping with the top down compared to most other convertibles I've driven. I still can't see the need for the wind deflector.

Ah. Island or warmth on cooler days. Able to converse at speed. Turbulence abatement. Keeps a screen over the back seat.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Have you driven your car with and without it? I definitely notice a difference and so does Ms. Audio.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 12-01-2012, 05:16 PM
flâneur en cabriolet

Quote:
Great News Guys!
And BTW...your photos of your Cabs are gorgeous. You're helping me to get off the dime (or tens of thousands as it were) on my purchase decision.
Photos to follow....

Quote:
But what Mfg Dates are Pre and Post LCI?? Gotta know dat data nugget.
IN 2010 they did the LCI, so any E93 2010 and older is Pre-LCI. 2011 and newer are LCI. I think.

Quote:
Let's mention cargo capacity.

E93's top consumes a major part of truck space, leaving little....what remains is not real easy to access.

So, we flip the rear seatback down - it's carpeted in back. Rear seat's now a spacious parcel & luggage shelf. Top down it's much more convenient than truck space - if you consider yer E93 as an extended wheelbase roadster you got it - only a masochist would want rear seating in this car. OTOH, dogs love it!
Never had the dog in there, but yes, the folding back seat is awesome. And trunk space isn't too bad for a convertible. You can get 2 21" rolling bags under the divider in the there (look for bags that are 9" or less wide). And if the divider is up, lots of room.

Quote:
Completely agree. Look for a used one on eBay or other BMW boards with active buy/sell activity.

Quote:
It does have very little turbulence and noise, but with the windscreen it's even better. My wife has very long hair, and with the windscreen up even if she doesn't have it pulled back it doesn't blow around, and with it not in place or down it blows over her face.

And when it's cold, you can put the windows up, turn on the bun warmers and you have less wind effect than a regular sunroof.

Quote:
Ah. Island or warmth on cooler days. Able to converse at speed. Turbulence abatement. Keeps a screen over the back seat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Have you driven your car with and without it? I definitely notice a difference and so does Ms. Audio.
Yes, indeed.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
No, but even my wife has never complained about excessive wind disturbance with the top down. I've had a number of convertibles and I think BMW has done a great job of designing the exterior and interior cabin to minimize wind disturbance. Maybe because some of my other cars were so bad the BMW just seems so good?

I also really enjoy driving with feeling the wind blowing through my hair and waking up my senses.

Current Stablemates:

Last edited by beden1; 12-01-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
No, but even my wife has never complained about excessive wind disturbance with the top down. I've had a number of convertibles and I think BMW has done a great job of designing the exterior and interior cabin to minimize wind disturbance. Maybe because some of my other cars were so bad the BMW just seems so good?

I also really enjoy driving with feeling the wind blowing through my hair and waking up my senses.
The BMW is very good in terms of top down turbulence (or lack thereof) but the wind deflector reduces it even further.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 12-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Tastes like chicken

Mein Auto: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR
'09 E93 with 31K miles on it. No issues at all, no leaks (and I routinely take it through touch and touchless carwashes). I have to say, from all my research and reading online, the hardtop and support mechanism is extremely robust.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:

I like driving with the wind blowing through my hair as well. I just don't like it blowing into my face while I'm driving. The only time I have the windows up and top down is when I am highway driving. The wind deflector is marvelous for keeping the eddy currents contained and allows me to drive windows down/top down at 40+ mph with no stray locks blowing about, and no pony tails required either.

The other thing I've discovered the wind deflector does is it serves as a quasi air filter. You would be amazed at the amount of "junk" I routinely clean off the upright screen of the wind deflector. Every time I wipe the deflector down and see all the brake dust/exhaust fallout on it rather than on the interior of my car I shake my head in amazement but under my breath utter a little "thank you".

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 12-01-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
I like driving with the wind blowing through my hair as well. I just don't like it blowing into my face while I'm driving. The only time I have the windows up and top down is when I am highway driving. The wind deflector is marvelous for keeping the eddy currents contained and allows me to drive windows down/top down at 40+ mph with no stray locks blowing about, and no pony tails required either.

The other thing I've discovered the wind deflector does is it serves as a quasi air filter. You would be amazed at the amount of "junk" I routinely clean off the upright screen of the wind deflector. Every time I wipe the deflector down and see all the brake dust/exhaust fallout on it rather than on the interior of my car I shake my head in amazement but under my breath utter a little "thank you".
Helping to keep my interior clean with the top down may be worth the price of admission for the wind deflector! I'll ask my dealer if they can provide a loaner deflector so I can try it out. Can you leave the deflector in place with the top up?

Driving around with the top down is one of the last bastions of free spirit I seem to get these days due to our digital world. That, and cruising out of the inlet and into the ocean in a boat on a beautiful sunny day.

Current Stablemates:

Last edited by beden1; 12-01-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Helping to keep my interior clean with the top down may be worth the price of admission for the wind deflector! I'll ask my dealer if they can provide a loaner deflector so I can try it out. Can you leave the deflector in place with the top up?

Remarkable if that happens. Hey just buy it - you'll wonder why you hadn't had it until then.

Easily removed & collapsed for oversized rear seat cargo but most leave it installed.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
well first off hope no one got hurt in the wreck!
I just got my first BMW, and its a 2007 335i, HTC, with 42,000 miles, before I purchased the car I had the dealer actuate the top with me standing in the back listening to the unit so in case there were issues of noise I would hear them. so far the top has worked perfect. no leaks but then I was the car in the drive way and blow dry it with the leaf blower. I read thru Kats thread on top maintenance, purchased the rubber care products, and the HHK grease she recommended. I have lubed everything on the top, and greased the seals every saturday so far. It appears the previous owner neglected the seals, but they still look fine. the tension cords are frayed but will get replaced this monday, the only issue I had was the radio head unit was replaced and the car was not reprogramed so the Aux and SAT,USB didnt exist on the radio. However Carmax made good on their claim that within the first 30 days they will fix anything, so to the dealer last friday, they reprogramed the radio, fixed any codes stored in the cars memory and Carmax paid the bill, now everything is back to OEM specs. Now maybe Carmax will pay for the tension cords, not that I expect that, but if they do I will be a Happy, first time,(used) BMW owner! But just check the car out that you plan to buy, get one from carmax if possible, that was one of the best interactions I have every had purchasing a car, from a car dealer.

Hondo
Old 12-02-2012, 05:32 AM

Thanks. No one hurt. But you answered another question. CARMAX. They say they will repair in the first 30 days...but technically the tensioned aren't broken if just frayed...so they say they will pay for those too?

CARMAX appears TOB's one of my best used Bimmer options since they will deliver a remote car to the local store. The last thing I want to do is to turn the search into a physical trek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
well first off hope no one got hurt in the wreck!

But just check the car out that you plan to buy, get one from carmax if possible, that was one of the best interactions I have every had purchasing a car, from a car dealer.

Hondo
Old 12-02-2012, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
technically no they didnt say they would replace the tension cords. The BMW place has a good relationship with the local carmax, I think BMW thinks they will take care of it, but like I said, I didnt expect them to cover it but if they do, I will let them. If not I will pay for it.

also car max has an extended warranty, so I got one, 6 years or 75,000 miles with a 50 dollar deductable, does not cover maintenance items, but if its major I am covered

Hondo
Old 12-02-2012, 06:27 AM
flâneur en cabriolet

Great point about the filter effect, Kat. I routinely now include the wind screen when I clean the car, and it is surprising how much black dust comes off of it.

Also with you on the windows up - my earlier comment may have been misleading. I only go top down / windows up when 1) it's really cold, like below 50, 2) I'm on the highway, extended time at speed above 60, 3) on the phone I'll sometimes roll them
Up to reduce traffic noise.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750Li
The wind deflector is a must! Keeps the breeze flowing past you instead of swirling in behind you. The wife says it also keeps the excess shopping bags in check after the trunk is full.

Wife-09-335i vert-Plat. Bronze metallic-Nav/comfort access/prem. pkg/cold weather pkg./Sirius
Mine-2009 750Li-Sapphire Black/Black Napa-ZSP,ZLS,ZPS,ZCV,ZDA,610,ZCE,4U1,655,6NF,4CA