Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Old 11-29-2012, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 11' 35D
Question buying Non-CPO, but dealer will CPO for $$$$

A BMW dealer GM handled my deal for a used 2011 X5 35d with 17k miles with a clean history. Down payment paid, signing on Saturday.

I asked if they could CPO the vehicle for me, and the GM said he would for $3k-$4k.

Considering the opportunity for CPO option, Maintenance Program option, Extended Warranty option, etc., is the Platinum BMW EVP the best warranty to pick?

I do plan on owning the car past the standard warranty.

Last edited by abbott; 11-29-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
First, this is NOT sanctioned by BMW. You risk getting the dealership in trouble, and no dealer here will help. (SOmebody may snitch..)

At 3-4k the CPO isnt worth it. Contact Daniel at Pacific BMW and ask what a Platinum or Gold plan will cost...

Skip the maintenace plan- overpriced for what you get. Find an indy.

GL

A
Old 11-30-2012, 10:10 PM

Mein Auto: 11' 35D
sounds about right. thanks for the clarification and tip! :-)
Old 12-01-2012, 12:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
First, this is NOT sanctioned by BMW. You risk getting the dealership in trouble, and no dealer here will help. (SOmebody may snitch..)

At 3-4k the CPO isnt worth it. Contact Daniel at Pacific BMW and ask what a Platinum or Gold plan will cost...

Skip the maintenace plan- overpriced for what you get. Find an indy.

GL

A
Why do you think the car was not CPO eligible?
Old 12-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace535i View Post
Why do you think the car was not CPO eligible?
didnt say that.

the 'rules' are that the dealer is supposed to make a CPO decision BEFORE putting the car on the sales floor. A cpo is supposed to be an enticement to buy, not an option a buyer can add. BMWNA has various tools to enforce this, and dealers can get into trouble....

I've been able to work out all kinds of things with people at car dealerships, but I make it clear that I am a trusted party in the process- getting stuff covered under warranty; brokering a non-standard transaction, etc. If they think their name will be published on the internet, you will get a vary narrow party line.

A
Old 12-01-2012, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
I am curious why the dealership did not CPO the vehicle at the start.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
didnt say that.

the 'rules' are that the dealer is supposed to make a CPO decision BEFORE putting the car on the sales floor. A cpo is supposed to be an enticement to buy, not an option a buyer can add. BMWNA has various tools to enforce this, and dealers can get into trouble....

I've been able to work out all kinds of things with people at car dealerships, but I make it clear that I am a trusted party in the process- getting stuff covered under warranty; brokering a non-standard transaction, etc. If they think their name will be published on the internet, you will get a vary narrow party line.

A
I am curious about this. On various BMW forums I've seen people talking about buying out their lease at the end as a CPO and getting the CPO warranty. The rules above would sort of preclude this, would they not? Or are different rules applied to a lease buyout? Or is it just not possible to CPO your own lease buyout?
Old 12-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
I am curious about this. On various BMW forums I've seen people talking about buying out their lease at the end as a CPO and getting the CPO warranty. The rules above would sort of preclude this, would they not? Or are different rules applied to a lease buyout? Or is it just not possible to CPO your own lease buyout?
they arent supposed to. bmw used to look the other way when they would do this in the past, but has been taking a much harder line on lease buyout cpo flips.

usually a gold or platinum extended warranty costs the same as cpo. 3-4k is in the ballpark for a platinum plan.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 12-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
they arent supposed to. bmw used to look the other way when they would do this in the past, but has been taking a much harder line on lease buyout cpo flips.

usually a gold or platinum extended warranty costs the same as cpo. 3-4k is in the ballpark for a platinum plan.
Precisely.

In the past some dealers would semi-openly call it their "refinance" plan.

In the past, the dealer could buy the car for whatever BMWFS quoted, CPO it and sell it back to the original lessee... Now BMWFS wants to know "is this a lessee who is buying it?" and if yes, the buyout price to the dealer is higher than if the dealer is putting it on the sales floor. BMW is reaching into the deal to control prices, hence more controls on who is getting a CPO.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X6M
I see. I'll have to do some research into the gold/platinum warranty. I may decide to buy out my next lease but the thought of having another BMW out of warranty is not that exciting to me

Thanks for your responses, guys.