Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Thebizzy.com

Send a message via AIM to Mack
Mein Auto: '02 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
I think that a lot of confusion on this issue stems from the fact that it`s often not made clear whether we`re discussing the K&N replacement (panel-type) filter element (to be used in the stock airbox), or the complete K&N CAI system, where the stock airbox has been eliminated.
A couple of E46 Forum members have done dyno runs which showed as much as a 3 HP drop when the K&N CAI system was used (compared to stock), and even luminaries such as Steve Dinan himself admitted that his CAI provided no noticeable gain over the stock unit. Given the fact that BMW MAFs have proven to be rather sensitive *under normal conditions*, I fail to see any logical reason to introduce yet ANOTHER potential trouble spot (an oiled element) into the mix.
Sometimes you`re better off leaving well-enough alone....
Very well said Bob.

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

[---Quote (Originally by Tex330i)---
You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 08-17-2011, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: '01 530i Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orxan4ik View Post
K&N here for the past 45K miles - no problemos. I wash and oil it every summer though

ive yet to see an E39 with a faulty motor caused by a K&N filter and I know about half of dozen of them with 1 528 having ~170K miles on it. My MAFs been fine too, no complaints there either.

OP, your best bet is to take everything with a grain of salt, I know for a fact some people here know a little too much for their own good that they complicate the decision making of other even when it comes to simple things
While I agree that things can get a little too complicated on this board, but on this subject of stock vs K&N, realize that if there was ANY gain in performace (HP, MPG, etc....)--no matter how small said gain is--don't you think EVERY person on this board would have it installed on their car by now? Especially considering the relatively low $70 price tag.....

If it actually helped the E39, we would all have it....

It's your money, though...just trying to give another perspective...

HotRod
Old 08-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Corey

Mein Auto: 2000 528i Step 215K Miles
I've used a K&N filter for over 100k Miles. No problems. Not saying some have had issues, but I haven't. I've also took the air horn out of my airbox. I think there is a slight positive performance difference, but I think that's due to the dinan stage one engine software.
  • Smoked Turnsignals
  • Shadowline Trim (Plasti-Dip)
  • Fittipaldi Wheels
  • Muffler Delete
  • Beisan Vanos Seals
  • Umnitza MTech Rear Bumper

2004 Volvo V70R
2005 Nissan Armada SE OFF ROAD

Last edited by CoreyMNK; 08-17-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
Corey, have you ever had your oil analyzed?
Old 08-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Corey

Mein Auto: 2000 528i Step 215K Miles
No I haven't. I run full synthetic in all my cars, and I always change the oil in the E39 about every 3-5k miles... usually closer to 5k. How much does it cost to have my oil analyzed? I'm due for oil change right about now- so I'm guessing now would be the time to have it analyzed.
  • Smoked Turnsignals
  • Shadowline Trim (Plasti-Dip)
  • Fittipaldi Wheels
  • Muffler Delete
  • Beisan Vanos Seals
  • Umnitza MTech Rear Bumper

2004 Volvo V70R
2005 Nissan Armada SE OFF ROAD
Old 08-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Hofmeister Kink

Couldn't hurt. Last I checked, an oil analysis was around $25.00 from Blackstone Labs

We here in the northeast have to deal with A LOT of sand due to its use as a traction aid in winter and the residue that hangs around all year, gradually being ground into finer and finer particles. I see it in my engine compartment all the time and have to constantly vacuum it out of there. Side windows get scratched and windshields are sandblasted so it's not too far of a stretch to believe my air intake sees quite a lot of fine mesh silicate minerals.

If you don't live around sand, you're probably ok.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
there isdubious unscientific evidence that k7n does not filter as well as oem paper, what never gets mentioned of course is that k7n removes like 99.5 % of the material in the air stream(and what also doesnt get mentioned is that this only applies when freshly oiled, after a short time the filtration effectiveness increases as the filter gets a little dirty.) so the three times better number is totally stupid because it means that the best fitler filters 99.7 % or 99.8 % of material, to here the yes men tell it its as if the K&N only filters 1/3 of the material in the airstream.

the other undiscussed benefit lies in the fact that K&Ns take a long time to get dirty enough to restrict air flow in any meaningful way where as a few days of driving in dusty conditions can rapidly degrade the flow capacity of a paper element filter. there is no question that fresh paper filters filter better than K&N and that they have similar flow rates. but it is what happens after a thousand miles that makes all the difference in the world.
>'65 & '74 MG Midgets BFC OT Lego Club #48

Old 08-19-2011, 05:23 AM
Hofmeister Kink

Last edited by AnotherGeezer; 08-19-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Well I've tried K&N oiled filters in my car which is a 2004 V8 Toyota Tundra (the X3 i post about here is my wife's which of course I maintain) and have never seen any real MPG or performance gains. Whatever the stated "scientific" gains may be they rarely are accompanied by one very important piece of information which is "what RPM range are those gains being realized at"? They are probably very high RPM ranges, ie: when you're seriously on the gas ... not an RPM range that you are driving in 90% of the time so you'll likely not see any real difference.

As for filtration, here's a little common sense test ... take your K&N and hold it up to a light and lo and behold you will see daylight shining through tiny little holes. That is not trapping micro particles and even if the difference between a K&N and good synthetic or paper disposable is only .5% over time that will add up to a lot more dirt in your engine. If you want your car to last as long as possible then forget the K&N in my opinion.

Here is a little tutorial for anyone wanting to change their own engine air filter but maybe never has before, it's overkill but I wanted it to be simple for a first timer:

BMW X3 Engine Air Filter Change How To Guide

This is a great discussion and to each their own ... I know there are a lot of happy K&N owners out there!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2003 540i/6 //m-tech
It's very simple, any filter media that lets more air in also lets more dirt in. In order to allow a free flowing filter in must either be more porous (allowing more and larger dirt particles) or have a larger filter surface area and the K&N does not have more folds and surface area than OEM.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:58 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 520i
327,000km on my 520i with a K&N filter. No issues here.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:08 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Yet another person asked the same question for the upmteen time today, cross referenced here

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaya1972 View Post
How do you guys feel about the K&N air filters?

Your thoughts will be very much appreciated...
Thanks'
Kenneth
Old 09-05-2014, 09:17 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Here's an observation about the K&N CAI in the E46 forum today ...
> E46 (1999 - 2006) > K&N cold air intake
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46newbie View Post
I recently purchased a 2004 330 CI with a K&N cold air intake. After about 200 miles of interstate driving the on the way home the SES light popped on. P2227, P0171, P0174.
Any advice would be appreciated
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
K&Ns on BMWs are bad JuJu....they tend to blow out the MAF. Converting back to the stock configuration ASAP is your best bet. Besides, stock is more efficient (!) than the K&N....

Get a can of CRC MAF cleaner and spray yours down....be careful, it`s quite fragile inside.