Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Summer performance tires come with the M sportpaket and thus also the higher speed limiter.

As the X1 comes with run-flats from the factory, no spare tire is included. For vehicles sold outside North America without run-flats, there is a compressor and mobility kit inclusive.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolneo View Post
Very nice! What tires does it come with? All season or summer performance? Is it a staggered setup? Thanks.
Staggered summer tires. It seems all M Sports with the standard 18" wheels are outfitted with Goodyear EfficientGrips. The optional 19's come with Pirellis.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 10-18-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustas View Post
Speaking of tires. If you replace the run flats with regular tires, do you also get a spare tire? and where does the spare go?
No spare for me. I need the cargo capacity for other stuff. Instead, I bought one of these ...

http://www.slime.com/shop/safety-spair-70005/

The kit is small, but I don't think it's small enough to store under the cargo floor. I'll rely on roadside assistance when possible and use the Slime kit only in a dire emergency. Despite claims that it's TPMS-friendly, it will probably damage my sensors if used. Hopefully I'll never need it.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 11-28-2012, 12:05 AM

Mein Auto: X1
HotRodW,
Where did you get your winter tires from? I have to make a purchase soon and was looking around for prices.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfex View Post
HotRodW,
Where did you get your winter tires from? I have to make a purchase soon and was looking around for prices.
I purchased the entire package from the Tire Rack. Unfortunately, Tire Rack's sensors wouldn't communicate properly with the car's TPM system, and I had to replace them with BMW OE units from my dealership at a higher cost. I seem to be the only X1 owner that has had that problem, so I wouldn't necessarily discourage getting the sensors from the Tire Rack. Neither the dealership Service Manager or Tire Rack customer service could offer a logical explanation for the incompatibility.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 11-28-2012, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
I purchased the entire package from the Tire Rack.
If I may ask, what tires did you get?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfex View Post
If I may ask, what tires did you get?
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's mounted on 17" Rial Salernos. Surprising dry road performance, noticeably improved ride and good fuel economy. Haven't had an opportunity to try them in snow yet, however.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0522.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	351234   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0523.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	351235  

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX

Last edited by HotRodW; 11-28-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2
Quote:
Neither the dealership Service Manager or Tire Rack customer service could offer a logical explanation for the incompatibility.
What did the TireRack do to make things right?

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
2015 Rally Red Civic Si Coupe...STOCK!
2013 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch
2006 Mazda Miata GT Winning Blue, FM Supercharged, Axial Flow SSK, FM Stage 2 Susp, Goodwin exhaust, Enkei PF01
Old 11-30-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
What did the TireRack do to make things right?
Tire Rack customer service was very cooperative and worked with me to try to resolve the problem - even sending out a second set of sensors at not cost to me. When all attempts to reset using TR's sensors failed, they issued a pick up on their sensors and a credit is pending. Assuming they make good on the credit, I find it hard to blame the Tire Rack for the problem. The frequency of their sensors was correct, and they use OE grade hardware. If the dealer service dept did all they claimed, there is no explanation. Regardless, the fiasco cost me close to $200 more than expected, and a LOT of my time.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 11-30-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Regardless, the fiasco cost me close to $200 more than expected, and a LOT of my time.
Wow...a road I don't want to go down. I loath run-flats but liked the X1 enough to buy it anyway.

I figured I'd give the run-flats a chance...and be prepared to buy a set of non-staggered wheels and tires as replacement. I'll get 18x8 all the way around and probably fit them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. I'll keep a tire plugging kit and a compressor in the boot in case I have a puncture.

FWIW, Tire Rack lists ONLY the Pirelli Cinturato P7 as the OEM tire for the x28 with M-sport even though they also carry the Goodyears. I hope mine doesn't come with Goodyears...never have liked them.

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
2013 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch
2006 Mazda Miata GT Winning Blue, FM Supercharged, Axial Flow SSK, FM Stage 2 Susp, Goodwin exhaust, Enkei PF01
Old 12-01-2012, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Pirelli is the only runflat to fit the 19s. Pirelli, Goodyear, and Bridgestone have fitment for the 18s. There is a chance you will get Pirelli or Goodyear on the 18 M Sports. I'm hoping for Pirelli over the Goodyears (I ordered with the 18s).
Old 12-01-2012, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
such a bewty
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 12-13-2012, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 + 2010 335i xdriv
Just picked up my X1 xDrive35i. Le Mans blue with black leather interior. M sport line with the premium package and heated seats. M sport steering wheel with paddle shifters. When I ordered it there were two choices for the M sport steering wheel, one with paddle shifters one without, neither choice was at an additional cost. Came with Goodyear (not sure of the exact "model" -put them in storage) run flats performance tires. The tires are 225/45 R18 on the front (with 8" wide rims) and 255/40 R18 (with 9" wide rims) on the back. Since I live in New England but travel to warmer weather for part of the winter I wanted all seasons. Dealer installed Michelin Pilot sport A/S plus, on the existing rims. Has all of 50 miles on it but love it so far. Previously owned a z4, which I didn't really care for, a 335xi and traded in my 2011 x3 for this x1. Happy to answer any questions if anyone wonders what comes with this line/package.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 MINI GP, 1987 CTTC
X3 vs X1 comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatT View Post
Just picked up my X1 xDrive35i. Le Mans blue with black leather interior. M sport line with the premium package and heated seats. M sport steering wheel with paddle shifters. When I ordered it there were two choices for the M sport steering wheel, one with paddle shifters one without, neither choice was at an additional cost. Came with Goodyear (not sure of the exact "model" -put them in storage) run flats performance tires. The tires are 225/45 R18 on the front (with 8" wide rims) and 255/40 R18 (with 9" wide rims) on the back. Since I live in New England but travel to warmer weather for part of the winter I wanted all seasons. Dealer installed Michelin Pilot sport A/S plus, on the existing rims. Has all of 50 miles on it but love it so far. Previously owned a z4, which I didn't really care for, a 335xi and traded in my 2011 x3 for this x1. Happy to answer any questions if anyone wonders what comes with this line/package.
PatT,

I'd be interested in a comparison between your X3 and the X1. Was the X3 the xDrive35i and what packages/options did you have on it? Why did you go from an X3 to the X1?

Did you compare the ride with the X1 without sport suspension to the M Sport?

Thanks,

Lee
Old 12-13-2012, 07:31 PM

The x3 felt more like a truck, I suppose partly due to the size. It was the xdrive35i and had the sport activity, convenience, cold weather and premium packages. I liked and drove that and my husband drove a 335i xdrive, which was leased and since turned in. Relocating/downsizing so we decided try 1 car for a while. The x1 seems like a good meeting in the middle. There were very few x1's to test and none configured the way we ordered, he likes the sport suspension and I don't really care either way, so didn't really consider anything else. In the x3 we could choose between sport suspension mode or not. The x1 feels more like a car, more sporty. But the x3 was terrific, handled well, good gas mileage, turned on a dime and was sneaky in that the performance was a bit unexpected for an SUV. The x3 would be a fine family vehicle, but I think the x1 would be small for more than 2 people on a regular basis. I did like that the idrive was standard on the x3 but it is not on the x1 (I think you have to get the navigation and I just use my iPhone)
Old 12-14-2012, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: Toyota
PatT,
Since you have owned several BMWs, I'm wondering what you do as far as dealing with flat tires for the RFTs.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustas View Post
PatT,
Since you have owned several BMWs, I'm wondering what you do as far as dealing with flat tires for the RFTs.
YOu didn't direct this question to me but...
I keep an eye on the TPMS and if it indicates a "low" tire then I find the nail/staple(or whatever) and remove it and then use a tire plugging kit to repair the tire. Then I pump up the tire with a compact compressor. Keep the kit and the pump in the boot and have used it several times.
Eventually though, I "tire" of the runflats and dump them for conventional tires.

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
Cross Bars
Invisihitch
Old 12-14-2012, 01:22 PM

I have not had any tire issues at all, other than a sensor indicating pressure was low. But then I haven't had a flat tire on anything since 1979. The Z4, 335, X3 all had runflats - no issues. The X1 came with runflat performance tires, which I have replaced (for the winter) with all season non run flats.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:21 PM

I'm too old/lazy to repair or change tires anymore. I rely on BMW/AAA roadside assistance. I don't let the BMW dealer deal with my tires, America's/discount tires is my go to for tires.

We did get rid of runflats and carry a donut (from BavAuto) in our 1 and 3 series. I'm not sure if there is a proper donut for the X1 and I'm not sure I want a donut on the xDrive. We will probably stick with RFTs on the X1.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: Toyota
I remember another person on the forums went with a compact compressor as well (that claims not to damage the TPMS).
Does anyone know the cost to repair/replace the TPMS?

I guess for a lot of folks here that do away with the RFTs, roadside assistance is the way to go.

nospam,
why do you not want a donut on the xDrive?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:35 AM

I'm planning on sticking with RFTs (my x28i M Sport should be here by Feb.). I don't know how a donut would affect the AWD system and I don't want tire smell in the cabin (since there is no trunk). We kept the 128i and donut, RFTs won't go back on that car for now.

With the softer suspension (than I'm used to) I may not find the OEM RFTs objectionable, I didn't on test drive (didn't check which tires were outfitted). The new RFTs are said to be better than the old Bridgestone RE050As that were standard on BMWs. After the OEMs wear out i plan to move to the Bridgestone S001s (not sure why these aren't the OEM). Best case scenario for me is that Michelin releases a compatible Pilot Sport PS2 ZP fitment or an even better next generation RFT is available in a few years.