Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-30-2012, 06:53 PM
RachaelsX5 RachaelsX5 is offline
Registered User
Location: Austin TX
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 83
Mein Auto: X5 4.4i
Transfer case chain?

Have a question for you.

My 01 x5 with 160k is clicking when I accelerate. I thought it was my axles at first but took it to a shop and after they replaced them they came back with I need a new front transfer case. 2k installed for a reman. The mech said I could remove the front drive shaft and make it a 2 wheel drive. I tried that and turns out the shaft I removed was the main shat because now the car rolls in park so I put that back on. So I went to the forums and found a great thread for replacing the bike chain in the transfer case. http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-pictures.html

I have looked at the pics but is this the front transfer case? I read thru the really long thread and some ppl said you don't have to remove it from the vehicle. Any clarity you can provide or experience would be helpful as now the car clicks all the time and the spouse is ready to jump ship to the L brand.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 10-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Thesourcefed Thesourcefed is offline
Registered User
Location: Oxford
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: x5
Had a similar issue but couldnt quite figure out if it was the axels....took it to the shop and they found out it was some lose bolts in the suspension!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-01-2012, 06:00 AM
TechWrench TechWrench is offline
Registered User
Location: Glenville, NY
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 20
Mein Auto: '99 540i, '02 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelsX5 View Post
Have a question for you.

My 01 x5 with 160k is clicking when I accelerate. I thought it was my axles at first but took it to a shop and after they replaced them they came back with I need a new front transfer case. 2k installed for a reman. The mech said I could remove the front drive shaft and make it a 2 wheel drive. I tried that and turns out the shaft I removed was the main shat because now the car rolls in park so I put that back on. So I went to the forums and found a great thread for replacing the bike chain in the transfer case. http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-pictures.html

I have looked at the pics but is this the front transfer case? I read thru the really long thread and some ppl said you don't have to remove it from the vehicle. Any clarity you can provide or experience would be helpful as now the car clicks all the time and the spouse is ready to jump ship to the L brand.
You may need to find a new mechanic. There is no such thing as a 'front' transfer case. The only transfer case you have, is mounted on the rear of the transmission, and it provides power to both the front and rear driveshafts. Because the 4wd system in your vehicle is an AWD (all wheel drive) system, it does not have the capability of providing power to just the front or rear axle alone. Both driveshafts must be in place for the system to work.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-02-2012, 08:23 AM
RachaelsX5 RachaelsX5 is offline
Registered User
Location: Austin TX
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 83
Mein Auto: X5 4.4i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWrench View Post
You may need to find a new mechanic. There is no such thing as a 'front' transfer case.
Thanks for the info! What would you call the drive train device that the front drive shaft connects to between the front tires? I ordered a chain from cobra transmissions but if that is for the transfer case behind the transmission then that won't help me in fixing my issue.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-02-2012, 03:15 PM
TechWrench TechWrench is offline
Registered User
Location: Glenville, NY
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 20
Mein Auto: '99 540i, '02 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelsX5 View Post
Thanks for the info! What would you call the drive train device that the front drive shaft connects to between the front tires? I ordered a chain from cobra transmissions but if that is for the transfer case behind the transmission then that won't help me in fixing my issue.
The component, in the front axle, that the front driveshaft connects to is the differential. You also have one in the rear axle. Neither of these differentials have a chain, they use gears to transfer power from the driveshaft to the axle shafts. As for the noise you are hearing, without more information, I can't guess at what is causing it. Since, as I recall, you started this thread asking about the transfer case, I am going to asume that it is where your 'mechanic' diagnosed the noise as coming from. The big chain in the transfer case has been known to stretch, and can cause a ratcheting, banging type of noise under acceleration. If that is the case, then you have three options. Replace the transfer case with either a new unit, or a rebuilt one. Have the chain replaced in your unit, by someone who knows what they are doing. Or ignore the noise, and live with it. Again, this all depends on what is actually making the noise you are hearing.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-29-2012, 09:58 AM
RachaelsX5 RachaelsX5 is offline
Registered User
Location: Austin TX
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 83
Mein Auto: X5 4.4i
Decided this may be a bit much for me to fix so I took it to AAMCO and they pulled the transfer case and said I needed a new chain and planetary gear. They called BMW and they wouldn't sell the individual parts. Thankfully, AAMCO let me supply the parts ordered from cobra transmission and they arrived 2 days later for the fraction of the cost of a new transfer case. Thank you forum for being here I saved quite a bit on this repair!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-30-2012, 07:32 AM
HPIA4v2 HPIA4v2 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: washington
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,663
Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelsX5 View Post
Decided this may be a bit much for me to fix so I took it to AAMCO and they pulled the transfer case and said I needed a new chain and planetary gear. They called BMW and they wouldn't sell the individual parts. Thankfully, AAMCO let me supply the parts ordered from cobra transmission and they arrived 2 days later for the fraction of the cost of a new transfer case. Thank you forum for being here I saved quite a bit on this repair!
Just curious,r how much was the labor to do xfer case by AAMCO.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-01-2012, 09:11 PM
RachaelsX5 RachaelsX5 is offline
Registered User
Location: Austin TX
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 83
Mein Auto: X5 4.4i
The book labor was 4.2 hours to remove the case and they charged another hour to replace the 2 parts, a bit much for parts that were already out but oh well. Labor was 470 and parts was about 450. Problem is 1 of the 3 seals is leaking and they had me sign no warranty since I supplied the parts so I might have to fight them a little. But it drives great again and I don't have to cringe when I press the accelerator.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-16-2016, 08:57 AM
ammartahir ammartahir is offline
Registered User
Location: London
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: X5
Hi I have same issue what i dont understand i have changed drive shaft also CV joints and arm, my one sound same like yours i just want to make sure its transfer case and not the gearbox. can you please check my video and comment.. thank you very much

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-16-2016, 10:30 PM
williamX5 williamX5 is offline
Registered User
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 70
Mein Auto: 01 540i/6 & 04 X5 4.4L
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammartahir View Post
Hi I have same issue what i dont understand i have changed drive shaft also CV joints and arm, my one sound same like yours i just want to make sure its transfer case and not the gearbox. can you please check my video and comment.. thank you very much


Good day,

The easiest way to determine if it is the chain or something else is to just drive the vehicle... IF you take off slowly, with very little power going to the wheels, you will not notice any issues at all... HOWEVER, if you were to give it moderate to full power from a stand still, you will hear AND FEEL thumping through the whole vehicle... That is the sprocket in the transfer case jumping due to the stretched chain...

I did this in my 01 a few years back... Only took a couple hours due to the exhaust needing to come out...

Good luck!!

Cheers!!


RACHAELSX5... The 4.2 hours was for T-case removal and install... The other hour was for them to open up the T-case and replace the chain and planetary gear... I would have liked to see that planetary gear... Mine was nearly perfect despite the chain in mine slipping for some time before I got the vehicle... It was the reason i got the vehicle for such a good deal...

Anyway! Glad you got it working!!

Cheers!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-02-2017, 01:13 PM
milanorsx milanorsx is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 2008 335xi & 2007 328xi
Finally!!!!

Thank you for describing the problem I've been having with my 2007 328xi. I've been looking on the internet for months and couldn't find anyone having the same symptoms with their BMW xDrive vehicle. I was told it was the transfer case. A friend who is a mechanic unplugged the connector to disable the transfer case, essentially making it a 2 wheel, rear wheel drive car. I'm trying to find a rebuild kit for the transfer case, but no one seems to make one. If anyone knows where to buy the parts, the chain, bearings and seals for a good price, please let me know and reply to this post.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-03-2017, 11:16 AM
bimmer_head bimmer_head is offline
Registered User
Location: FL
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2002 X5
"2007 328xi"

Do you know what transfer case you have?

Is it a NV124?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-04-2017, 10:18 AM
milanorsx milanorsx is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 2008 335xi & 2007 328xi
2007 328xi Transfer case rebuild kit or parts

I believe it is an ATC300.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-13-2017, 10:41 AM
milanorsx milanorsx is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 2008 335xi & 2007 328xi
Heavy vibration Finally Fixed!

So I swapped out the transfer case on my 2008 328xi because the BMW dealer said that was the cause of the massive vibration at highway speeds. And the problem was still there. Thankfully I didn't let them do it and sent it to a friend's shop. So after lots of research, I thought it might be CV shaft. My friends mechanic also suggested that it sounded like a CV shaft and not the transfer case. So after 2 new CV shafts were installed, the vibration is gone! I feel so good that the car runs smooth again. And I gave the BMW dealer crap that the car was there for 3 days and they came up with the wrong diagnosis. So it looks like the inner CV joint failed, but the rubber boot didn't leak grease. But when you played around with the inner boot, you could here the clacking sound and that's barely under any load. So the symptoms were the following...

At highway speeds the car was vibrating a lot. But when you let off the gas pedal and the car was just coasting, there was no vibration. Only under engine load, especially when you hit a hill where the engine has to work harder, there was massive vibration. Cruising around the city at low speeds, the vibration was not noticeable. There were no CELs or error codes recorded. That was the confusing part and led me to believe it was something along the lines of the CV shaft. I found something on Youtube that explains the symptoms and the guy actually does a teardown of the CV axel and shows you the internal bearings and where they were rubbing and the heat damage that they caused.



Hope this helps someone save some cash and keep the car away from the dealer!

Good luck guys!
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
transfer case clicking x5


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms