Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-01-2012, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: 550i xdrive, Titanium Sil
M-sport / Sport package

They may sound like a dumb question but is there a real difference between the two packages. I recently bought 2012 550I xdrive m sport package and love everything about it. This being said is one more for looks? while the other provides power? If so which of the two is what. Again thanks for any insight.
Ads by Google
Old 12-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Got a drink? You're gonna need one.

In 2011, the sport package consisted of an upgrade from 18" to 19" wheels (and wider rear tires), the multicontour seats and the thicker sport steering wheel. It included no suspension upgrades. It, or the MSport package, were a prerequisite to ordering the Sport Automatic Transmission. It was also a prerequisite for ordering the Dynamic Handling Package, which consisted of Active Dampers (Dynamic Damping Control) and active anti-roll bars (Active Roll Stabilization).

The MSport package also included the multicontour seats but added MSport specific wheels (same size as the sport), the MSport steering wheel (thicker than the sport), the body enhancements, a bunch of //M Logos as well as including Dynamic Handling Package.

In 2012, things got a bit different. The Dynamic Handling Package went away. Both the Sport and MSport package gained active damping as standard (DDC). ARS became a stand alone option available on either package.

For 2013, BMW started smoking the good stuff. Sport package is now gone. MSport continues with the wheels, steering wheel, body enhancements and //M logos, however it no longer includes the multicontour seats. Those are available separately or in a package. For the first time, there is an actual suspension upgrade bundled with the package. No one is sure what the change is, but it is all steel - no active dampers or active anti-roll bars. However, DDC is available as a stand alone option, or the DHP returns, again bundling DDC and ARS.

Confused yet?

Oh, by the way, on xDrive, both Sport and MSport packages have the same wheel sizes front and rear vs. the RWD version which has 1" wider rear wheels.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 12-01-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Don't forget thy for 2013 it MSport also includes a passive sports suspension. Not sure about previous years.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
Don't forget thy for 2013 it MSport also includes a passive sports suspension. Not sure about previous years.
See post above.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 12-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Ball Don't lie

Mein Auto: 2001 Dinan m5
I would say m-sport is a little cooler looking. Also comes with more stuff different seats/trim/maybe idrive/. ///m stuff is a great marketing tool. Bmw charges 1000s more for a logo on the door sills and bumpers that cost the same to make as the stock one. Suspension lowered a bit
Resident Grammar and Spelling expert
Old 12-01-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hh3uunp View Post
I would say m-sport is a little cooler looking. Also comes with more stuff different seats/trim/maybe idrive/. ///m stuff is a great marketing tool. Bmw charges 1000s more for a logo on the door sills and bumpers that cost the same to make as the stock one. Suspension lowered a bit
I think you need to read my post above. There is nothing different about the iDrive. The suspension is not lowered.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Ball Don't lie

Mein Auto: 2001 Dinan m5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I think you need to read my post above. There is nothing different about the iDrive. The suspension is not lowered.
I was guesstimating from the e39 differences
Resident Grammar and Spelling expert
Old 12-01-2012, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ah5
Sport package with DDC bundled in (without ARS) is still available on 2013 hybrids though.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
See post above.
Wait, I am supposed to actually read post before posting my comments? Is this a new rule?! Lol

Also sport and MSport had different rims, right?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 550i xdrive, Titanium Sil
Fellas great responeses and thanks for the info. I think over all I made the right decision with the M-sport than the sport package. Now the other question is that I have only two choices when driving from normal mode or sport mode. I have read on other post that there is also a third mode or did I read it incorrectly. Thanks again fellas