Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 AM

Send a message via MSN to OGIEVA EMOKPAE
Mein Auto: 5401 E 39no
Exclamation ABS and traction lights on on E 39 540i

I had my car go in for an alignment check then I noticed the Abs and traction light was on afterwards
It turns out one of my Abs speed sensors was bad and so I had this replaced, but After this replacement, the light goes off but when I step on the breaks there is a (pulsing) vibration coming from the break pedals along with a transmitting sound as if the break dics is dented or damaged which is not the case...however when I speed up the traction and Abs come alight again and all the vibrations and noises stop on the application of the breaks this occurs when the traction and ABS lights come on

please help...I am confused

Last edited by OGIEVA EMOKPAE; 11-28-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGIEVA EMOKPAE View Post
I had my car go in for an alignment check then I noticed the Abs and traction light was on afterwards
It turns out one of my Abs speed sensors was bad and so I had this replaced, but After this replacement, the light goes off but when I step on the breaks there is a (pulsing) vibration coming from the break pedals along with a transmitting sound as if the break dics is dented or damaged which is not the case...however when I speed up the traction and Abs come alight again and all the vibrations and noises stop on the application of the breaks this occurs when the traction and ABS lights come on please help...I am confused
Itshardtoreadyourtextbecauseyoudon'thaveanypunctua tionandImightaddthewordisspelledbrakeandifyoudon't knowthatthenyoumightnotunderstandwhatelseIhavetosa ytohelpyoubutIwouldsimplytestallfourwheelspeedsens ors.
youcanfindthetestoverhere:
- How to test wheel speed sensors (1) but take note on why the 5-minute ABS DIY quick test doesn't always work, especially on brand new non-OEM wheel speed sensors, by Quick99Si (1)
Old 11-29-2012, 04:58 PM
resident, old fart

Mein Auto: 2002 540i sport
great runners-not punctuation! reading skills only so so, but I can't read a word of Nigerian so she is pretty darned beyond here comfort zone :-)-
Old 11-30-2012, 07:41 AM

@540i man.
I had my car go in for an alignment check. After which I noticed the Abs and traction light came alight.
As it turns out one of my Abs speed sensors was bad, so I had this replaced. However after this replacement, the light goes off as it normally should, when you start the vehicle.
But when I drive and step on the brake, there is a (pulsing) vibration coming from the brake pedals along with a transmitting sound as if the brake rotors were dented or damaged which is not the case.
However at speed up to 60kmph traction and Abs come alight again, and thereafter, all the vibrations and noises stop when I apply the brake. Everything seems normal when the traction and ABS lights are on. (but this is an indication that the ABS is not working). Any ideas or do I need to do a fault reset ?

Last edited by OGIEVA EMOKPAE; 11-30-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Everything seems normal when the traction and ABS lights are on
Thanks for the punctuation.

What I suggest is a free test that is explained here:
- What is the cause of severe shuddering while slow speed braking on bumps (1)

That's a long thread, so I'll summarize that all you need to do is disconnect the ABS control module harness (pictures galore of which are in the post I previously referenced).

Let us know if simply disconnecting that harness has any effect on your brake-related vibration or not.

(Bill, I hadn't noticed the Nigerian connection ... all I ever get from Nigeria are badly spelled emails imploring me personally to temporarily store millions of dollars in new-found gold for them while they work out the details with the government, keeping half of the gold as their token of appreciation for my troubles) ... but punctuation should be the same in Nigeria as in the USA, right?)

Last edited by bluebee; 11-30-2012 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Added picture to help the OP locate the harness.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:22 AM
resident, old fart

Just FYI...I am helping him through PMs. Being from Nigeria, Christmas time, pay it forward, and all that! I will stay with him and his issue through resolution. Biggest problem is finding out his level of experience with multimeters, quality of indies, etc.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iman View Post
.I am helping him through PMs
Thanks! I'll beg out as you were the guiding light on all the ABS control module & wheel speed sensor advances we've made in the past few years.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:25 AM
resident, old fart

Bee, funny and off topic, but I am so naive about scams since you brought up the one about all the money left you, etc. What is the "jist" of the scam where they want to pay you to reship packages that they could send to the correct address in the first place? Is it just that you accept a phoney cashier's check or money order made out to you and then you send with your good money? They always want you to do for a month before they pay you so I imagine that is how long they figure it to take to realize you were scammed!
I just have always wondered is it what they are shipping (drugs, et al) that they want "laundered" through your address or the real money from your bank account exchanged for their phoney-baloney money orders???

Back on topic. his pedal pulsing will absolutely go away if he disconnects the module. No doubt about it only happening when ABS system "thinks" it is healthy and on. He needs to answer my question about who told him which sensor was bad and with what device did they reach this conclusion? I would almost bet the farm that test said say RR was bad and changing it made a difference, but it is RR channel of module. Need to know how long he has owned, etc. He has not given me the meat I need to help him or decide re-build vs. new. Know nothing about the availablility of quality indies.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:13 PM

ABS and traction lights on

The brake pulsing does stop when I disconnect the ABS module. I did send a reply that indicates that the speed sensor cable was damaged the insulation broke and there was a short as a result. I did have occasion to cut and tape this cable a few months ago, and so when the traction and ABS lights came on that was the obvious place to check. The right rear. I have owned the car for over 7 years now, and I anly concerned in keeping it in the best condition as can be. Before this car i owned the 525E, E 28 which I kept in top form until I sold it off. I will have it diagnosed, and thereafter be able to get the make and type of equipment unfortunately I can't get this info till Wednesday.

Keeping a BMW is not the easiest thing to do in nigeria but there is a handful of us who want to keep it the way it was built.
The mechanics here do not have a clue often working blind without diagnostic equipment the reason I refer to forums like this. Matter of fact i am trying to get a few mechanics to buy the carsoft software to help manage these cars better ...No scam intended...

Last edited by OGIEVA EMOKPAE; 12-02-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:31 PM
resident, old fart

This is important. Are you saying you repaired the cable and then was "ok" for a while and then went out again so you replaced it or did you just replace right away. Point is HOW LONG DID YOU DRIVE IT AFTER REPAIRING OR REPLACING SPEED SENSOR BEFORE YOU GOT IT ALIGNED AND THE PROBLEM STARTED AGAIN? Was all ok for some period, then you got aligned and then you discoved the shorted cable to a speed sensor, replaced it and the error won't clear. Need to know how long it ran fine with repaired sensor, or did it never run fine with repaired sensor because you got the error at alignment, starting looking around and then found sensor bad and replaced it and still no go? Was there a period of time when it ran ok on a repaired or replaced sensor and only the alignment triggered the error to come?

ALSO, did you have any devices not working when ABS module was still hooked up? Odometer, speedometer, cruise3 control, etc. Was everything "normal" until lights came on? Now yopu shopuld have service engine soon light too, but ignore it while module it disconnected. Did your mechanic have ability to clear anyb errors or jusrt see them physically with his eyes or with his scanner. Did he try to clear errors? He should check your steer angle sensor mounted on yopur control arm and see if he knocked it loose.

Last edited by 540iman; 12-02-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:13 AM

I had driven the car for at least 6 months after i repaired the sensor cable, and everything worked perfectly. The first sight of the problem was on my way from the Alignment Bay. We confirmed the faulty sensor visually by a physical examination. Changed it (although with a wrong unit as I later found out ) the brakes work fine once i disconnect the speed sensor, and the same occurs when i disconnect the ABS module. My mechanic at the time did not use any error reset tool, but I have a Wednesday appointment to check the fault and possibly reset this ...I hope this helps
Old 12-03-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iman View Post
What is the "jist" of the scam
< OT >

I'm not sure as I don't put a lot of effort into these Nigerian scams - but I do remember someone once made the news 'cuz they got killed in Nigeria trying to get their money back in the fraud that I had mentioned. Dunno why Nigeria more so than any other country ... but both the State Department and the FBI warn specifically about the fraud I had mentioned...

US STATE DEPARTMENT: Detailed information on the scheme, centered largely in Nigeria, wherein people are offered a share of millions of dollars to help transfer the money to their bank...

US FBI: Nigerian Letter or "419" Fraud Nigerian letter frauds ... in which a letter mailed from Nigeria offers the recipient the "opportunity" to share in a percentage of millions of dollars that the author-a self-proclaimed government official-is trying to transfer illegally out of Nigeria.

< / OT >

Last edited by bluebee; 12-03-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
i am trying to get a few mechanics to buy the carsoft software to help manage these cars better
Methinks this software is where people would start:
- What are the most often recommended BMW diagnostic tools & cable interfaces (1)

However, for reasons Bill has often mentioned, they often won't work for ABS related issues because they're not connected to the right spot by mechanics who expect diagnostic miracles.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:50 AM

I receieve a lot of such messages, from all over the world these days; even though I live in nigeria.But the safe way to go, is not fall for anything that seems too good to be true. These fraudulent people thrive on your greed. Afterall like some say "greed is still the only subject that is not taught in Harvard."
Old 12-03-2012, 08:28 AM
resident, old fart

Soooooo sorry. Scam question not unique to Nigeria at all. Great Britain, India, et al. For this scam question, just wanted general reason for receipt of product, re-ship, payment terms etc. Is scam over money or getting American to ship (launder shipping vs. launder money or just scam money-only on re-ship scams) They claim salary of $3500 a month!!!!
What is jist of scam or is there real money to be made if you are willing to end-up in jail??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
< OT >

I'm not sure as I don't put a lot of effort into these Nigerian scams - but I do remember someone once made the news 'cuz they got killed in Nigeria trying to get their money back in the fraud that I had mentioned. Dunno why Nigeria more so than any other country ... but both the State Department and the FBI warn specifically about the fraud I had mentioned...

US STATE DEPARTMENT: Detailed information on the scheme, centered largely in Nigeria, wherein people are offered a share of millions of dollars to help transfer the money to their bank...

US FBI: Nigerian Letter or "419" Fraud Nigerian letter frauds ... in which a letter mailed from Nigeria offers the recipient the "opportunity" to share in a percentage of millions of dollars that the author-a self-proclaimed government official-is trying to transfer illegally out of Nigeria.

< / OT >

Last edited by 540iman; 12-03-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:16 AM
resident, old fart

Quote:
I had driven the car for at least 6 months after i repaired the sensor cable, and everything worked perfectly. The first sight of the problem was on my way from the Alignment Bay. We confirmed the faulty sensor visually by a physical examination. Changed it (although with a wrong unit as I later found out ) the brakes work fine once i disconnect the speed sensor, and the same occurs when i disconnect the ABS module. My mechanic at the time did not use any error reset tool, but I have a Wednesday appointment to check the fault and possibly reset this ...I hope this helps
YES! If you want me to help you then I will, but I need certain very distinct and chronological answers to rule out stuff. The devil is definitely in the details on these deals.

So, let me see if I have this right as something still does not add up. 6 mos. ago you found a short on one speed sensor. I assume you were lead to this discovery by the trifecta of lights coming on which made you start investigating? Good find on shorted cable which you then repaired and it worked perfect for next 6 months. Sometimes you need not "clear" an error as it will clear itself after couple re-starts or sometimes right away when things are made right. Steer angle sensor re-calibrate not likely to clear itself by virtue of what it reads.

6 months later you get your car aligned and error all of a sudden and totally coincidentally comes back on after alignment and you confirn the repair you did 6 months ago is now no good again? What happened to your first repair? Electrical tape come loose? It was the same sensor you and the alignment shop saw with your eyes was definitely bad, but only after alignment and repair you had made 6 mos. ago was still *fine* when you pulled into alignment shop, but now bad after alignment? Did alignment shop mess with it? (your repair)? Was it same sensor as one you worked on before? What made it unable to be repaired again as it was once before? You have a wrong sensor on there now? What makes it wrong? belongs on front? What did you and the alignment shop see when you both decided it was bad? Did they offer a guess why it was fine when you pulled it and bad when you pulled out? Is cable cut, worn all the insulation off, what is it that makes it bad this time and is it same sensor? You may be able to repair the "old" sensor" again and your error will clear. Did you ever say you had a steer angle error or did I offer that as a possibility? Was alignment way off or what made you feel you needed alignment?

Lots of questions- all are important to me. Please re-read several times and verify you have given me everything you can. Guys here can likely send you INPA diagnosis software and stuff they have "cracked" that will rival the GT-1. I am just not that computer savvy to play with the unknown. I know where my limits are and try not to cross, but there are guys on this forum who are absolute masters at understanding this stuff who may be inclined to help you and your mechanics there. Warning that some software may take some IT knowloedge on your part. Not sure how plug & play it is.
Bill
Old 12-05-2012, 07:54 AM

ABS and traction control lights

Thanks guys for your assist, I finally got some guy with the auto boss diagnosis to check the system and the verdict is that the Abs Module is faulty. There was an error code 5 displayed indicative that the fault was from the rear right speed sensor, but during the test all the sensor reads on the auto boss system when the car is moved. The clearing of this fault did not stop the pulsing and the traction lights come alight once the speedo hits 45 km/h. My only worry is if the Autoboss can code the new module once the unit that I have ordered arrives.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
the verdict is that the Abs Module is faulty.
What typically happens is the 7th aluminum wire in the top left of the opened ABS control module has lifted off its gold bondpad (as explained by Bill in his ABS control module autopsy).

Here are all known options - you might have other options in Nigeria that we don't know about though:
- What are all known options when your ABS control module is bad (1)

Last edited by bluebee; 12-05-2012 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Added pic