Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-02-2012, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
New here with a question

Hi All,

I am new here and have just bought my first BMW. It is an 07 550i and I love it. I spent 3 hours in the driveway today with the manual figuring out what does what... I do have a couple questions

I have a voice command button on the wheel and one on the center console. When I push them, nothing happens.. The car has Nav, and my phone is paired.. I have looked all through the idrive settings and I see nothing about activating it and I have the language selection checked. Do you have to have BMW Assist activated in order for the to work? Any ideas

What is the sensor that you see from outside on the windshield in front of the rearview mirror?

Thanks for you help....

Mark
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Gap Filler for a M6 GC?!?

Mein Auto: '10 550i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyparrothead View Post
Hi All,

I am new here and have just bought my first BMW. It is an 07 550i and I love it. I spent 3 hours in the driveway today with the manual figuring out what does what... I do have a couple questions

I have a voice command button on the wheel and one on the center console. When I push them, nothing happens.. The car has Nav, and my phone is paired.. I have looked all through the idrive settings and I see nothing about activating it and I have the language selection checked. Do you have to have BMW Assist activated in order for the to work? Any ideas

What is the sensor that you see from outside on the windshield in front of the rearview mirror?

Thanks for you help....

Mark
Congratulations on the purchase.

I don't know about the voice command and it's been a few years since I had that version of iDrive, but I can help on the other one.

The sensor on the windshield in front of the rearview mirror is the rain sensor. When the green light on the stalk is lit, auto mode, the rain sensor detects rain on the windshield and wipes when necessary.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:34 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
When you press the voice instruction button, do you hear a beep? If so, it is awaiting instruction, and the response voice could have the volume totally muted.

Try this: hit the voice command button, and repeatedly press the up arrow for volume control, and repeat "options" every 5 seconds.

If you hear nothing back, you either don't have voice commands, or something is wrong with the hardware.

I am pretty sure you need nav in order to have voice. But you don't have to have Assist activated.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.

Last edited by Kamdog; 12-02-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:54 PM

Hi,

When I push either button I get no beep and no indicator on the display.. I do have nav and I have my cell paired and it works fine...

Mark
Old 12-03-2012, 01:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 530XI
If the phone is paired, on and in range you'll see a phone icon in the bottom of the display. If it is muted you'll see a speaker icon with an X through it. If the phone icon is there and you push that button it should dial the last number on the phone.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:48 AM

Hi again,

The phone protion works great and the phone button on the wheel does as well.. My problem is the voice command button.. Either button does nothing when pushed

Mark
Old 12-03-2012, 05:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 530XI
I'm sorry, my mistake. If it does activate you'll see like a head icon on screen. I have found that each of these have their own volume control. So if it is just turned down you'll see the icon and be quick to turn up that volume.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:37 AM

Yea, no volume, no icon

Mark
Old 12-03-2012, 07:42 AM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
This looks like a hardware thing then. You have Nav, so you should have voice. Hate to say it, but it looks like a dealer visit.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.