Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 12-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Car Crazy

Mein Auto: 92 BMW 525i
Valve gasket replacement

Hey Beemer world! Just looking for some advice and tips for replacing my valve cover. I recently had an overheating issue wit my car.

At first I believed it was just the water pump since there was no smoke being blown or smell of coolant. After replacing the pump it was evident the pump was bad because large amounts of smoke and the smell of coolant are present.

Should I perform a compression test to ensure there aren't any cracks or faulty valves before changing the gasket? All input is appreciated... THANKS!!!
Ads by Google
Old 12-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBabii View Post
Hey Beemer world! Just looking for some advice and tips for replacing my valve cover. I recently had an overheating issue wit my car.

At first I believed it was just the water pump since there was no smoke being blown or smell of coolant. After replacing the pump it was evident the pump was bad because large amounts of smoke and the smell of coolant are present.

Should I perform a compression test to ensure there aren't any cracks or faulty valves before changing the gasket? All input is appreciated... THANKS!!!
You are unclear in the above. Is your new pump bad or your old pump ?
Old 12-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Car Crazy

Last edited by MikeyBabii; 12-02-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1989 BMW 535i
If your not leaking oil than and your valves aren't clacking then a valve cover gasket isn't necessary. A headgasket does sound like your issue tho.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Car Crazy

Last edited by MikeyBabii; 12-02-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Car Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh429er View Post
If your not leaking oil than and your valves aren't clacking then a valve cover gasket isn't necessary. A headgasket does sound like your issue tho.
I am leaking oil.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Banned

So are you saying that you did not have coolant and smoke from your tailpipe with the old pump, but you have that with the new one? Did you check just before you changed it out ?

In any case, water pump failure is not supposed to lead to problems like this. Do the compression test. Ignore the vcg for now. Post your results here and we'll take it from there. I might have a good solution for you as well.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Car Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio20 View Post
You are unclear in the above. Is your new pump bad or your old pump ?
The old pump was defective but the car still overheats. Now that coolant is flowing there is smoke and the exhaust smells like coolant...
Old 12-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Car Crazy

Quote:
So are you saying that you did not have coolant and smoke from your tailpipe with the old pump, but you have that with the new one? Did you check just before you changed it out ?

In any case, water pump failure is not supposed to lead to problems like this. Do the compression test. Ignore the vcg for now. Post your results here and we'll take it from there. I might have a good solution for you as well.
I had a little bit of smoke with no smell of coolant with the old pump. With the new pump it is a lot of smoke and strong smell of coolant now... I'm guessing because the impeller is actually working now that more coolant is flowing. I'm sure it's one of the gaskets I just don't know which one.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Banned

That would be the head gasket. Anyway, do that compression test and check back in. Lets see if we can fix this up for you without too much of a cost.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Banned

Take a look at your dipstick for your engine. Does it look normal or milky ?
Old 12-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Car Crazy

Quote:
That would be the head gasket. Anyway, do that compression test and check back in. Lets see if we can fix this up for you without too much of a cost.
I'm going to test it tomorrow at school. Do you know of any videos showing procedures for head gasket replacement? I hate using alldata info. I think I'll replace the valve gasket to. My baby has been out of commission too long.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm going to test it tomorrow at school. Do you know of any videos showing procedures for head gasket replacement? I hate using alldata info. I think I'll replace the valve gasket to. My baby has been out of commission too long.
youtube is your friend.

I would seriously hesitate to replace my own HG if i need youtube to help me there. Perhaps you could download the E34 Bentley manual for more information. Please search these forums for the searchable manual and download it for free from the internet and read through it carefully. Perhaps the link is in the maintenance sticky at the top of these forums if not please search. That would be the wiser move.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Banned

Do the compression test before you do anything else. You may have a cracked cylinder head.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Car Crazy

Quote:
Do the compression test before you do anything else. You may have a cracked cylinder head.
Wouldn't that cause a misfire?
Old 12-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Wouldn't that cause a misfire?
No.

Please do more reading up on the net about this. The devil is in the details.

Or you know what? Go to bed. Don't think about this anymore. Do the compression test in the morning. Compare your results against websites which show you how to interpret such tests. Post your results here as well. Then we take it from there.

rgds,
Roberto
Old 12-03-2012, 04:18 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E34 M50 2.5
Hi all.

The title of the thread is wrong. Your problem may be the cylinder head gasket and definitely not the valve cover. For the replacement of vcg, if you go for a head gasket replacement, the vcg will be included in the kit.

I'm also searching for prices to have "my" head gasket replaced. Run a compression test, first "dry" then "wet", like I did and keep the results. With this you may have a clue of what's inside the motor. Dry for the cylinder head and wet for the block, roughly.

Also, I've been searching for head gasket replacement and it can be DIY, although it must be performed conscientiously, with method and time. Expect some specific tools for the job. First, gather as much info as you can.

And definitely troubleshoot for head gasket failure: smoke, coolant smell, dipstick, creamy oil, bubbles on the expansion tank, too much pressure on cooling hoses, and so on. Donīt really believe in just one symptom. I really believe one problem as more than one clue. At least two clues for the problem. It's pretty well engineered and engineers don't like to make fast judgements.

Keep posting and best regards
Old 12-03-2012, 04:37 AM
The Ornery Old Man

Mein Auto: GTI
Quote:
You are not likely to be able to determine a cracked head from a compression test. It will simply tell you what the static compression is in each cylinder. Loss of compression could be from many things, not just a cracked head.
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5
Old 12-03-2012, 04:45 AM
The Ornery Old Man

I think you could probably get by with a much simpler cooling system pressure test. You are having an overheating problem, check the cooling system first.

Check for all of the symptoms listed in the thread, milky oil, oil in coolant, bubbles in the expansion tank while running. If there is coolant in the oil, chocolate milky looking oil, stop driving the car or risk major bearing damage.

If you smell coolant in the exhaust, the car is overheating, and consuming coolant, the headgasket is the most likely culprit.
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5
Old 12-03-2012, 05:32 AM

Mein Auto: 1989 BMW 535i
Snow, Heys burning coolant, Isn't it a little past a cooling system failure? Sounds like a head gasket, not to many ways coolant gets past exhaust valves. I don't see to many cracked heads around, but with a water pump failure, I suppose it could happen.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:36 AM
The Ornery Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh429er View Post
Snow, Heys burning coolant, Isn't it a little past a cooling system failure? Sounds like a head gasket, not to many ways coolant gets past exhaust valves. I don't see to many cracked heads around, but with a water pump failure, I suppose it could happen.
You can get the same clue from a cooling system pressure test as you can a compression test. You are just pushing the other direction. The cooling system test is one shot, no need to pull the plugs etc.

If the system will not hold pressure, and there is no external leak, you can almost count on a blown headgasket considering the other listed symptoms.
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5
Old 12-03-2012, 05:41 AM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
Bite the bullet and get the head off and down to the shop. With water in the exhaust the head will have to come off sooner or later. May as well get brave. A good shop will do a crack test first and tell you if it worth spending more cash on that head or get a replacement. Mine does those free for me. The rebuild and machining plus gasket set leave me about $600 poorer.
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i
Old 12-17-2012, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 1990 5301
I just wanted to share something you guys all probably know already, but it was really helpful to me and it's sort of related to cracked heads from overheating, so even with my limited mechanical knowledge I will share. I kept overheating, blowing hoses, etc. We tried everything, thermostat, radiator cleanse, etc, etc, etc! Then I did some research and found that the E34's have a tendency to have the sealants around their fans deteriorate...the fan keeps turning so no one suspects that it's not turning FAST ENOUGH to keep the engine cool....thus the chronic overheating.
Well, once that was fixed, sealant and all...my baby runs at perfect temperature, all day every day. Now if my transmission issue was that simple....
Just a FYI, hope that helps someone,
joanne
Old 12-17-2012, 06:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaux View Post
I just wanted to share something you guys all probably know already, but it was really helpful to me and it's sort of related to cracked heads from overheating, so even with my limited mechanical knowledge I will share. I kept overheating, blowing hoses, etc. We tried everything, thermostat, radiator cleanse, etc, etc, etc! Then I did some research and found that the E34's have a tendency to have the sealants around their fans deteriorate...the fan keeps turning so no one suspects that it's not turning FAST ENOUGH to keep the engine cool....thus the chronic overheating.
Well, once that was fixed, sealant and all...my baby runs at perfect temperature, all day every day. Now if my transmission issue was that simple....
Just a FYI, hope that helps someone,
joanne
Are you talking about the fan clutch/ clutch fan / engine fan ?
Old 12-17-2012, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1990 5301
I am very much revealing my ignorance here, but I don't now remember which fan it was, just that I think there are two (one is a back-up perhaps?) and they cool the engine down. So I am guessing engine fan. And I read that the fan issue is a common reason for the E-34 to have overheating issues. Actually I paid 27$ to ask.com when I was so frustrated with how my mechanic could 't figure out why it kept overheating and had spent 100's and 100's of dollars trying many non essential fixes. And the expense of those hoses! Best 27$ I have even spent!