Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 11-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Pictures of EGR valve after 33,500 miles

I had the emission recall performed today on our 2010 X5 diesel. I asked the technician to take a few pictures of the EGR valve as I've been reading about the soot build-up in the old style valve and was interested to see how much was in mine after 33,500 mostly highway miles. I thought you might be interested as well so here are the pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010 X5d - EGR Valve at 33,500 miles I.jpg (91.6 KB, 1453 views)
File Type: jpg 2010 X5d - EGR Valve at 33,500 miles II.jpg (95.4 KB, 1286 views)
File Type: jpg 2010 X5d - EGR Valve at 33,500 miles III.jpg (99.4 KB, 1219 views)
Ads by Google
Old 11-21-2012, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: GLK250BT, 335d, Jetta TDI
That doesn't look so bad, Finn...you should have seen my TDI's EGR valve before I cleaned it...

2001 Jetta TDI - Blue on Black

Old 11-25-2012, 05:06 AM

Mein Auto: 4 diesels
Thanks for posting those pics.

2004 Ram Cummins with lots-o-mods
Old 11-25-2012, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: 335D
Big benefit of ULSD
Old 11-26-2012, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Dna Diesel, does the EGR valve need to be cleaned on a regular basis?
Old 11-26-2012, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: GLK250BT, 335d, Jetta TDI
Not now, finnbmw. ULSD has significantly reduced soot and I have also adjusted my TDI's EGR duty cycle, particularly since I travel a lot on highway, and NOx production is greatly reduced at moderate-speed part throttle travel. The picture on the right was at about 100,000km when I cleaned the valve and the intake -- VWs (ALH code TDIs 99.5-2003) were well known for gunked up EGR valves). I have about 220,000km on the Jetta and the EGR and intake are almost as clean now as when I cleaned them back at 100,000.

I haven't heard much of E90 D's getting too dirty...the E70s (X5) have a different EGR set-up that I hear has had issues in the past.

Regards
D.
2001 Jetta TDI - Blue on Black

Old 11-26-2012, 06:38 AM
I krv svoju za Bosnu moju

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 328i Coupe
what a pain in the a$$ the EGR systems can be..i have no experience with car egr's but i disabled them in my Volvo semi truck and what a beautiful difference it makes! i am thinking about getting a diesel powered vehicle and one of the first things i will do to it disable the EGR! We are not gona talk about the legality here ))..

2009 BMW 328i Coupe (premium,sport)
2006 BMW X3 ///M Sport (premium pkg, winter pkg, sport pkg)
2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Old 11-26-2012, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: 4 diesels
Anyone borescope their intake to visually check the carbon buildup?

2004 Ram Cummins with lots-o-mods
Old 12-03-2012, 04:45 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Amigos this what I wrote in the other forum:

Amigos I can attest to this supposedly carbon build up this last saturday as I was going to the 1/2 mile race I had the ENGINE light come up and man i almost SHEIT on myself. I called my mechanic as he was going to race my car for me since I have a broken hand. He told that that occurs also with the JBD on some of his clients. and informed me not to worry I stopped turn car off and back on and it was GONE!! OK I deided later to press on it and GUESS WHAT? Not only the ENGINE light come but also the damn ESE light F'me now Im pissed and scared. I stopped and turned off and back on AGAIN! and the engine light gone but not the SES.

The car was running quite VAGUELY but I realized the the day before I had put on 3 ounces of Amsoil DIESEL injector cleaner and 3ounces of AMSOIL CETANE Booster, I guess all the SOOT was coming off since it had been a month since I had stopped using DIESEL Injector Cleaner. Anyway, my friend drove the 1/2 mile race and he told he clocked 150 mph at the end of the track but forgot to clock at the 1/2 marker(he did it twice) he was VERY IMpressed with the DIESEL, he had had many gassers during his youth and was ALL smiles with the DIESEL. My car clocked the first time 120 mph which I found very disturbing since I had a better program come to find out the systme was not calibrated weel and many competirors were complaining.

Anyway, once I took the car and drove to my uncles house I noticed the car was eager and loose, i looked at my girlfriend and told her "Hey something is wrong with the car, she REPLIED by saying The car is responding better!!" I drove the car to the 1/2 mile race went to my uncles ate and got drunk partied at nite, next day drove to the other extreme of the island and went to see my friends game and drank and ate an came home and looked at the tnak and guess what? 1/2 tank on 243 miles, PRICELES!!!! Now my girlfriend wants a DIESEL!!!

P.S. The SES light went off the next day at my uncles.
Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive
Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate
Old 05-05-2014, 10:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D M sport...
Anyone make a EGR delete kit, and can it be tuned out...so no engine lights...
Old 05-06-2014, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
SES light fix.

Black electric tape!
Old 05-08-2014, 05:09 PM
hang up and drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel61 View Post

Amigos I can attest to this supposedly carbon build up this last saturday as I was going to the 1/2 mile race I had the ENGINE light come up and man i almost SHEIT on myself. I called my mechanic as he was going to race my car for me since I have a broken hand. He told that that occurs also with the JBD on some of his clients. and informed me not to worry I stopped turn car off and back on and it was GONE!! OK I deided later to press on it and GUESS WHAT? Not only the ENGINE light come but also the damn ESE light F'me now Im pissed and scared. I stopped and turned off and back on AGAIN! and the engine light gone but not the SES.

The car was running quite VAGUELY but I realized the the day before I had put on 3 ounces of Amsoil DIESEL injector cleaner and 3ounces of AMSOIL CETANE Booster, I guess all the SOOT was coming off since it had been a month since I had stopped using DIESEL Injector Cleaner. Anyway, my friend drove the 1/2 mile race and he told he clocked 150 mph at the end of the track but forgot to clock at the 1/2 marker(he did it twice) he was VERY IMpressed with the DIESEL, he had had many gassers during his youth and was ALL smiles with the DIESEL. My car clocked the first time 120 mph which I found very disturbing since I had a better program come to find out the systme was not calibrated weel and many competirors were complaining.

Anyway, once I took the car and drove to my uncles house I noticed the car was eager and loose, i looked at my girlfriend and told her "Hey something is wrong with the car, she REPLIED by saying The car is responding better!!" I drove the car to the 1/2 mile race went to my uncles ate and got drunk partied at nite, next day drove to the other extreme of the island and went to see my friends game and drank and ate an came home and looked at the tnak and guess what? 1/2 tank on 243 miles, PRICELES!!!! Now my girlfriend wants a DIESEL!!!

Axel,

What did you ever do about your CBU????

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 05-08-2014, 05:18 PM

UPDATED the Ecu with more aggressive tune by Renntech

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-08-2014, 10:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D M sport...
Quote:
UPDATED the Ecu with more aggressive tune by Renntech

Awesome fix for CBU
Old 05-09-2014, 04:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
So what you are saying is ... put some injector cleaner in and really flog it, and then it will run better?

Quote:

Old 05-09-2014, 06:00 AM

It might or might not work. It might go limp mode or a code if you hv never used additives. My case as u read a one time thing im at 42k so far so good but does not exempt me the intake issues