Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-03-2012, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: X5 2001
Lock/Unlock problem

Hi, ppl! I'm so glad I found this forum, 'cause I need help and I very much hope to find it here. I looked through, and lots of people seem to wear really smart pants here))).

Ok, the problem is LOCKING and UNLOCKING, and I CANNOT go to a dealer and/or any other repair shop due to finances.

1. I can't open a car with a key - it doesn't turn to the left.

2. Problem with the remote started half a year ago. First it worked every other time, then it totally stopped opening. I thought the problem was a battery. So I found a video how to open the key and replace a battery. With just an opened key (without battery replacement), the car suddenly opened. I wrapped insulation tape around it and they key worked for another two months. Then it stopped working completely.

3. Guys from Locksmith were not able to open it (with their inflatable tool and a stick), then I tried it myself - it still didn't work. So, I had to crush the window down and then replace it. I found a $60 deal at a scrap yard.

4. Then I found a car key guy, he cut the new key and programmed it. It was twice cheaper then bmw dealer would have asked.

5. For a month it was working fine, but last week it started to lock with a delay, then unlock if I kept clicking for some time. Today when I stopped trying in half a few seconds it suddenly opened a trunk.

6. I came in through the trunk, and managed to open. I left the window opened.

Sometimes it locks and closes the window, alarm goes on - it all happens automatically. Last time, for some unknown reason, it didn't try to put alarm on, lock and close the window. I left it like that in a public garage and I don't know what to do now.

I would gladly go to a professional, if my situation allowed me. For now I could only try to do something myself.

Questions.

What could I do with which fuse to turn the self-locking system off? I'm fine with leaving it unlocked. Which fuses, where are they located - for now. And if anybody would have suggestions, which sensor, unit, module or thing I should replace in the future to fix this problem - I would greatly appreciate any advice and opinion.
Ads by Google
Old 12-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: tow truck
Sounds like the lock cylinder in the drivers door is junk and keeping the switch in a position that is causing your problems. If the cylinder is frozen remove it pull off the end part. Put the switch in its middle position and reinstall the lock.

Sent from my C771 using Bimmer App