Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Another one bites the dust

Fiskar experiencing cash problemo.

Gotta wonder. What's the story on BMW's electric car effort?

So far, lotta smoke. Mirrors too.
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2012, 10:28 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
I saw a Fisker in the flesh last week in a parking lot. The paint job kinda reminded me of what was typically on dune buggies. It had sparkle in the finish! It's interesting but not for me. It screamed look at me because I crave attention.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 12-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Always laughing loudest

Mein Auto: '11 335i M-sport...by day
Fisker has the formula down, in my opinion. At least for the concept...not necessarily their balance sheet. An electric car with a dedicated gas-powered generator for range extension - much more appealing than the prospect of long-hour charges after 200 miles of electric range. Need more juice? Add gas to the generator, let it charge the batteries underway. I just think their sticker price alienates too much of the market. Would rather get two cars for that price...cheapo Hybrid for a DD, then a sporty car for weekend play. Best of both worlds, plus considerably cheaper.

A for BMW versions, I don't know. I noticed the bimmerfest homepage had a clip about the i3 that one of the members posted, but no price info or details about how well the technology is coming along. I'm curious as well.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Fiskar experiencing cash problemo.

Gotta wonder. What's the story on BMW's electric car effort?

So far, lotta smoke. Mirrors too.
Seems that BMW might not have any choice but to offer an EV in Kalifornia:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...704768888.html

Fiat will offer the 500e to meet CA requirements...maybe sell 100 of them (not enough!), and lose $8000 - 9000 per car.

Nobody from Sacramento has contacted me yet to ask me if I want an EV. I guess they've just decided to "force feed" we Californian's with cars that we don't want?
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 12-03-2012, 10:02 AM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Went to the LA Auto Show yesterday and Fisker (Fiskar makes cutting products!) had an area. Beautiful display area with several cars on display. All of the paint/upholstery names had "nature" or "earth" based names, like White Sand, Eclipse, Deep Ocean, Glacier and even Earth. Lots of people looking, but I'm guessing not many were thinking of buying.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 12-03-2012, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
I spoke to a salesman at the Fisker dealer in Huntsville, AL a few weeks ago. They are the exclusive dealer for the states of Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi. They have sold 15 cars so far but at over $100K this is decent money (they also carry Porsche, BMW, Volvo and Range Rover) but if Fisker is only moving lets say, 10,000 cars/year with most in CA, this is not a viable business unless the US Government is OK with losing their shirt in order to promote more technology.

The cars are very cool and quite beautiful.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I spoke to a salesman at the Fisker dealer in Huntsville, AL a few weeks ago. They are the exclusive dealer for the states of Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi. They have sold 15 cars so far but at over $100K this is decent money (they also carry Porsche, BMW, Volvo and Range Rover) but if Fisker is only moving lets say, 10,000 cars/year with most in CA, this is not a viable business unless the US Government is OK with losing their shirt in order to promote more technology.

10,000 cars was their sales objective, but USA Today reported only 1,500 delivered as of the end of Sept., 2012 since the launch last Dec.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:

That would seem to be the case.

My wife and I were leaving the 'Hotel Del' in Coronado following a Sunday brunch a year and a half ago. A car leaving the parking lot at the same time caught our eye. It was spectacular with it's clean but stylish (old school) Italian looking exterior. Heads were swiveling everywhere following it down the road. It was the Fisker.
I have to admit, its lack of exhaust rumble made it even more intriguing, a great example of when less is far more. I have no doubt the Glitterati will be lining up for them. But, like art films loved by the critics, it will probably bomb in Peoria. When the taxpayer well drys up a Saab will probably look like a better buy.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
10,000 cars was their sales objective, but USA Today reported only 1,500 delivered as of the end of Sept., 2012 since the launch last Dec.
News Flash: Sales goal revised to 1200 units. Fisker smashes projections! Investors line up to throw money at them. Executive bonuses all around.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:

Current admin has a "What? Me worry?" attitude.

Hey, you're paying for it....they're just doing their job, redistributing your income!

I swear, from the right angle the guy in office looks related to Alfred E.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 12-04-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Yikes.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Current admin has a "What? Me worry?" attitude.

Hey, you're paying for it....they're just redistributing your income!
I'm all for the government investing in new technology. I don't think Fisker ever had a chance to be viable, but it's the same as the credits for any electric car these days. We cannot keep depending on fossil fuels and their unstable foreign sources.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
There is a 1 series electric being used by someone at work. We have plug-in stations in our car park. As far as I can tell, BMW are leasing the e-cars and collecting them when done to establish real world data on these cars before moving others forward commercially. I haven't had a chance to ask if the car has been "chipped" yet...
Also available in Alpine White...
Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I'm all for the government investing in new technology. I don't think Fisker ever had a chance to be viable, but it's the same as the credits for any electric car these days. We cannot keep depending on fossil fuels and their unstable foreign sources.

Sad but true, electric cars are a product without a battery t'make it work.

Market speaks: This arbitration's failed.

So where are we? Manufacturers forced to develop products selling at a loss if at all. Deep-six that stuff - successful products are what we want.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Yeah. Too bad there wasn't any.

Bought a solar panel lately? I pass Solyndra's facilities almost daily....and the slickest trick of all, that party stuffed the ballot box to reelect that guy. Ooof!

Yo -- in 30 days the noose tightens. As Henry Waxman D-CA said about health care, "How else are we going to control the people?"

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 12-04-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Yeah. Too bad there wasn't any.

Bought a solar panel lately? I pass Solyndra's facilities almost daily....and the slickest trick of all, that party stuffed the ballot box to reelect that guy. Ooof!

Yo -- in 30 days the noose tightens. As Henry Waxman D-CA said about health care, "How else are we going to control the people?"

Which means you also pass Tesla's plant. They may even be a success in this industry. Whether you like it or not, fossil fuels are not the future, natural gas, battery power and solar are the future.

By the way, how do those sour grapes taste?

And regarding solar panels, they are selling very well. Unfortunately most come from China.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Which means you also pass Tesla's plant. They may even be a success in this industry. Whether you like it or not, fossil fuels are not the future, natural gas, battery power and solar are the future.

And regarding solar panels, they are selling very well. Unfortunately most come from China.
Not very good at all! I cancelled my subscription to Mad Magazine after the first election. It was too much of reality imitating art for me to fathom.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 12-05-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:

The top electric car company stands a chance, maybe, of success. They've been around awhile as a novelty....major players have at Govt's behest made a car or two, yet have only boutique sales to show, a failure to launch.

Natural gas but not fossil fuel. Ah.....

Solar electric not a significant thing at all. In California, solar collectors are mandated by law & regulation. Not desired, and not selling on merits, but forced.

Boondoggle! Public funding should be cut off at the knees. Liberal gibberish. Some invest their self worth in this stuff.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 12-05-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
The top electric car company stands a chance, maybe, of success. They've been around awhile as a novelty....major players have at Govt's behest made a car or two, yet have only boutique sales to show, a failure to launch.

Natural gas but not fossil fuel. Ah.....

Solar electric not a significant thing at all. In California, solar collectors are mandated by law & regulation. Not desired, and not selling on merits, but forced.

Boondoggle! Public funding should be cut off at the knees. Liberal gibberish. Some invest their self worth in this stuff.

Not true but who needs facts? Nice GIF though. And if certain things that are good for us are not legislated, how many people would still be dying from lung cancer due to smoking cheap cigarettes and I can't even imagine the condition of our lakes and streams?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
News Flash: Sales goal revised to 1200 units. Fisker smashes projections! Investors line up to throw money at them. Executive bonuses all around.
This looks like the perfect opportunity to make up for my Facebook investments. Where do I send my check?
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 12-05-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
This looks like the perfect opportunity to make up for my Facebook investments. Where do I send my check?

Yo! Do you have my bank routing info?

Tip: Electric car -- Short it