Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550i
Thigh Support not Working--CPO?

The driver thigh support does not extend and retract. I can hear the motor working but it does not move. Will take to dealer. Just came out of 4year warranty but have the CPO. Would this be covered do you think? Any suggestions on why the motor would work but the support does not move? Does it ride on a track system?
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Yes, I think so. My passenger side was making a clicking sound while moving and it was covered via CPO.
$50 was how much it cost.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i Sport
The motor drives a screw on a track, if they have come undone, the motor will be working while not actually moving the thigh support.

It should definitely be covered under CPO, I wouldn't worry.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: E60 with a turbo
yes, that should be cover but heated seat is not base on the booklet i read. FML
Old 11-29-2012, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 07' 550i
A very common problem and mine was replaced under extended BMW warranty.

BMW CCA Member, Capital Chapter
Old 11-29-2012, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the replies. Appt scheduled for Monday.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
Yep. Mine on the passenger side was replaced under CPO.

I use mine all the time. The one on the passenbger side was used like 3 times in 80,000 miles.

Go figure.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i, 1997 Dodge Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntocamping View Post
Thanks for the replies. Appt scheduled for Monday.
Let us know what happens. My passenger seat thigh support stopped working completely. Then, a few days later it started working again but does not extend fully...maybe only half way. I'm CPO'd through June so I'd be interested to hear how it goes.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: E60 with a turbo
on the side note. i have been trying to find a way to disable to automatic movement for steering and the seat while you open and shut the door. i know some Japanese vehicle does offer this option. I'm the only one driving so it's non sense to let it keep move front and back, up and down to wear out the motor.
i'm frustrated enough to have a malfunction heated seat which doesn't cover by CPO warranty.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 08 535i sport 09 ML550
My new to me 08 535i has this same problem on the passenger seat. I didn't know it when I bought it but will probably try to get it fixed under cpo at the next service. Let us know if they give you an issue. Weird all the stuff not covered under bmw cpo.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:25 PM

Thigh support covered under CPO. Would have been close to $300 parts and labor had it not been covered. They replaced the thigh support actuator motor. On another note they loaned me a 328i. That turbo 4 was very quick and responsive. I would seriously consider this engine if i stay with BMW.

Last edited by ntocamping; 12-03-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
So my SA says thigh support is not covered under CPO and CPO coverage changes from "time to time." Will push back with this thread to question the CPO change statement.

Think they are just tired of my car since in the last 5 weeks they have replaced both turbos, water pump, washer pump, one bank of fuel injectors, manifold pressure sensor, steering rack - ALL UNDER CPO!!!! Almost $10k of work on a 535i with almost 50k miles. Engine is running superb right now. Had a 528i loaner for two weeks and then a 328i for a week.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:36 AM

It's covered under the 4 year not the 6 year warranty correct?? Because I have the same issue but I don't have the 4 year bumper to bumper anymore. Thanks !
Old 10-31-2013, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 535xit
It was covered for me under CPO.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:00 AM

Did you have this work done recently? Would love to see how it was coded on your invoice, especially if the CPO work was done recently. My SA says the CPO policy changed in March 2013. Guess they don't have a "grandfather" clause. My original warranty expired 8/2012 and CPO is good till 8/2014.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: 08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrlee View Post
So my SA says thigh support is not covered under CPO and CPO coverage changes from "time to time." Will push back with this thread to question the CPO change statement.

Think they are just tired of my car since in the last 5 weeks they have replaced both turbos, water pump, washer pump, one bank of fuel injectors, manifold pressure sensor, steering rack - ALL UNDER CPO!!!! Almost $10k of work on a 535i with almost 50k miles. Engine is running superb right now. Had a 528i loaner for two weeks and then a 328i for a week.
It is absolutely covered under CPO warranty. Both of mine were repaired under CPO. See the attached...This is direct from BMW website. Your SA is at best misinformed, or at worst a liar.

Let me add my two cents here though...

The thigh extender is a relatively low cost repair...against which you will pay the $50 + tax deductible. In my case, I just waited until I needed to get the car in for another CPO repair (didnt take long) and lumped the CPO repairs together...and you only pay the deductible once, no matter how may things are repaired during that visit. Happened like that for me twice, both sides. In the interim you can just move the extenders by hand and they stay in place while driving. Of course, this was just my choice...didn't want to pay multiple deductibles. Your decisions may vary!

Good luck no matter what.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf whatsNotIncluded.pdf (134.7 KB, 56 views)
Old 11-01-2013, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the info and the suggestion. The SA, who has been terrific with all of my other CPO issues, texted me images of CPO guidelines - probably some dealer privy documents which indirectly claim that the thigh support is not covered. The dealership has a warranty person that he has to go through to get stuff approved. They have offered to fix the thigh bolster for parts and tax only (about $300) and waive the labor.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:51 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Mine recently stopped working too (driver's side). Sounds like this is a common problem then... and I must have adjusted mine upwards of 10 times since I bought my '08 in 2007. Nice design there...
Old 11-04-2013, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535xi
I just broke the driver's side yesterday. The wife was babbling my ear off and I dropped gum between the seat and center console. It ended up in the power seat track. I had one hand on the thigh support as i leaned over to look for the gum and the thigh support retracted form the little bit of pressure I put on it. I have CPO until July so I will call the dealer and ask if the cover it.

I blame the wife. lol

The lesson learned here is that this is a fragile part of our seats. Try not to lean on or any undo stress the thigh support.

2008 535xi
Performance: PTF Custom Tune - Jake, AR Design Catless DP's, ER Intercooler, ER Charge Pipe, Forged Motor sports DV's, BMS DCI, Wedge Sport Flash/Coding
Suspension: UR Strut Tower Brace, UR Lower Strut Bar, M5 Pull Rods, RD Sport Sway Bars
Exterior: VMR VB3's 19's with Conti DSW’s, MTech front bumper, HID fog lights, Umnitza ICE LITE Angel Eyes, Clear LED Side Markers, Osram Xenon D1S 6000k headlights, OEM Gloss Black Kidney Grills
Old 11-04-2013, 12:06 PM

I am not sure when mine stopped working. Not something I use frequently. If that is all it takes to break the plastic gear could have happened when my car was at the dealer for 3 weeks for various CPO covered issues. Will be curious to see if your thigh support is covered under CPO was not so I paid for the repair (part only, no labor - $305).
Old 11-04-2013, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrlee View Post
I am not sure when mine stopped working. Not something I use frequently. If that is all it takes to break the plastic gear could have happened when my car was at the dealer for 3 weeks for various CPO covered issues. Will be curious to see if your thigh support is covered under CPO was not so I paid for the repair (part only, no labor - $305).
Wow! What was the total cost of the repair?

2008 535xi
Performance: PTF Custom Tune - Jake, AR Design Catless DP's, ER Intercooler, ER Charge Pipe, Forged Motor sports DV's, BMS DCI, Wedge Sport Flash/Coding
Suspension: UR Strut Tower Brace, UR Lower Strut Bar, M5 Pull Rods, RD Sport Sway Bars
Exterior: VMR VB3's 19's with Conti DSW’s, MTech front bumper, HID fog lights, Umnitza ICE LITE Angel Eyes, Clear LED Side Markers, Osram Xenon D1S 6000k headlights, OEM Gloss Black Kidney Grills
Old 11-04-2013, 12:37 PM

$305 for the part plus tax. Was not charged for labor due in part to the length of time I was without my vehicle.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: 08 535xi
Once again, That part IS COVERED under CPO. That the OP accepted the charge for the part should not sway you from demanding (only if they give you a hard time of course) that the CPO cover it. OP - I swear I'm not trying to give you a hard time...I just dont understand.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Old Timer (Really)

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 535i Sport
My dealer wants $606.00 to repair the thigh support ... it's the actuator that needs replacing. The part is available at Tischer and others for around $200 to $300 ... so it seems to be rather labor intensive.

I'd like to fix it myself, but at my age I'd probably screw it up ... or set off one of the pyrotechnic seat belt tensioners and kill myself. Of course it really isn't a critical repair, but I've had the car since new and want to keep it "looking good".

Rather than opt for one of the extended warranties after the lease ran out (I purchased the car for a good price in May 2012), I decided to be "self insured" ... so we put a couple of hundred dollars a month away for just such a contingency.

Of course I could take it to an Indy (maybe for a better price), but then I wouldn't get a nice new Bimmer as a loaner for a couple of days.

2009 535i Sport, Jet Black | Cobb Stage 2 Aggressive | Injen DCI | AR Downpipes | BMS Led Angel Eyes | Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
2008 528i (Retired)
2006 328ci (Retired)
1975 US Army (Retired)
Old 11-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Master of my domain

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
I had the motor disconnect from the track a while ago. I could hear the motor spinning, but the support wouldn't actually move. I took the seat apart to reconnect the motor, but of course with my luck, I ended up breaking the motor. Now nothing happens when I try to adjust the seat. I have long legs, so I just locked the support in the extended setting and didn't think about it. Just recently my wife started bugging me about it because her legs aren't as long. I bought the part from getbmwparts.com for $164.54 plus shipping. The part hasn't actually been delivered yet, but their internet parts manager was extremely helpful over email to make sure I got the right part. Having taken things apart to get to the motor once already, I can say it was a lot easier than I expected. Anyone that has this problem out of warranty and doesn't want to pay a dealer to fix it should definitely think about tackling the job themselves. I might have pictures on my phone somewhere that I took the first time I had things apart. Let me know if you'd like me to post them.