Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-03-2012, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
Driving 2008 528i on snowy roads

I will be driving 2008 528i on snow..I have continental tires on it, I am not aware of any Anti-skid kind of features in my car, is their any ?And what is your recommendation on using Chain, which one shall I buy ?
Ads by Google
Old 12-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6 speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitkumararora5 View Post
I will be driving 2008 528i on snow..I have continental tires on it, I am not aware of any Anti-skid kind of features in my car, is their any ?And what is your recommendation on using Chain, which one shall I buy ?
Depending upon how much / how often / how long you will encounter snow, you might want to consider a set of snow tires all around. If you have all-seasons on now with a fair amount of thread, that's the next best option, but if you have high performance summer tires on, you will have issues with snow. I have never heard of anyone using chains on a bimmer, except maybe in Finland. That's for really serious snow!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Arras View Post
Depending upon how much / how often / how long you will encounter snow, you might want to consider a set of snow tires all around. If you have all-seasons on now with a fair amount of thread, that's the next best option, but if you have high performance summer tires on, you will have issues with snow. I have never heard of anyone using chains on a bimmer, except maybe in Finland. That's for really serious snow!
I am going for a trip, I don't need tires permanently. I am expecting around 100-200 miles of drive in snow
Old 12-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Gap Filler for a M6 GC?!?

Mein Auto: '10 550i M-Sport
Assuming you are driving through mountains on a road trip, being your location is Phoenix, I would definitely get snow tires. I was caught once with performance summer tires with a little snow on the ground, and even on a flat straight expressway it was not a fun experience. Those tires barely got any grip.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I am going for a trip, I don't need tires permanently. I am expecting around 100-200 miles of drive in snow
I would check Bimmerfest classified section, eBay, or BMW CCA for a used set. May want to call and see if local dealerships rent them (never heard of that but you never know).
Old 12-03-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAI View Post
I would check Bimmerfest classified section, eBay, or BMW CCA for a used set. May want to call and see if local dealerships rent them (never heard of that but you never know).
will do, but what is your experience with chains? are they not recomended
Old 12-03-2012, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi - 2008
Quote:
Why don't you just rent a car. That will be cheaper and safer especially if you are just
using it for a small trip.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 AM

Shall i get a 4WD, how do I know rental car has snow tires or not ?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
will do, but what is your experience with chains? are they not recomended
Roadways around me don't allow chains.

BMW, according to the manual, only recommends fine link on rears and to 30 mph. Still would look at snow tires (or renting a 4wd/awd vehicle) since chains, if allowed on the roads you are travelling, still won't help steering or do too much for braking if you still have summer performance tires up front.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi - 2008
Quote:
Shall i get a 4WD, how do I know rental car has snow tires or not ?
You don't need a 4 WD. Any FWD should do well on upto half feet of snow. You can ask for 4WD if you want to.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528xi
I live in MN and I always used Blizak's in the winter! I would wait to switch them until the first snow. Best 2 wheel snow vehicle I ever owned!
Now I bought a 528XI.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:38 PM
BMWs since '87

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi (LCI)
Lots of places I know they won't let your car past certain checkpoints unless you have winter tires installed (with the mountain/snowflake symbol, not AS tires).
Old 12-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Nothing to see here...

Mein Auto: '08 535i
Here's an option to consider: the auto sock.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6 speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLucky View Post
Here's an option to consider: the auto sock.
I'd LOVE to read a review on that, lol!
Old 12-04-2012, 03:18 AM
Nothing to see here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Arras View Post
I'd LOVE to read a review on that, lol!
I've never used them, but on Amazon they get mostly positive reviews. They seem to fit the OP's need perfectly...
Old 12-04-2012, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLucky View Post
I've never used them, but on Amazon they get mostly positive reviews. They seem to fit the OP's need perfectly...
I have to disagree. Reading about the product and the reviews, it appears to be an emergency use product ( i.e. got caught in a snow storm) and is not intended for the OP's stated use. IMO, I would not trust that product with my car, or my life and the safety of others on the road, when purposefully driving a couple hundred miles in snow. If there was under a 10% chance you would encounter snow, then having the AutoSock would be fine as a low probability of use back-up plan, but anything above that I wold recommend doing it right and have snow tires on.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Nothing to see here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAI View Post
I have to disagree. Reading about the product and the reviews, it appears to be an emergency use product ( i.e. got caught in a snow storm) and is not intended for the OP's stated use. IMO, I would not trust that product with my car, or my life and the safety of others on the road, when purposefully driving a couple hundred miles in snow. If there was under a 10% chance you would encounter snow, then having the AutoSock would be fine as a low probability of use back-up plan, but anything above that I wold recommend doing it right and have snow tires on.
You are right... If the OP knows for *certain* he will be driving on unplowed snow covered roads for 100 to 200 miles, then winter tires is the *best* option. Only he knows the full and most likely scenario given his planned trip. Most roads, including mountain roads are plowed and treated, in which case all-season tires would be sufficient if the OP was willing to wait until the roads are cleared. If he absolutely must drive through a snow storm to keep to a fixed schedule, then I suggest he rents a Jeep and leaves the e60 at home...